Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPU Processing for XT plugs?
Braingines, a Swiss company, has been working on GPU plugin processing. You can find them via google, or just the company name dot com.

This is a great idea that's been done with Convolution reverbs in the past. It is also a method that OBS and smoother vid software use for video encoding. 

For Mixbus on a modern machine, the GPU is sitting around doing nothing, at least on a machine with dedicated ram, and this could be really cool. Ditch your UAD, get Mixbus. It could offer expansion on desktops, and portable dip on faster notebooks.

Considering they are already working on VST3, maybe just the AVA plugs would be easier to implement.

Just wondered if the idea has ever come up.
I found their page but I'm still not sore what Braingines are actually selling...

Are they selling a range of VST plugins which use the GPU instead of the CPU? Or are they selling a software driver that'll allow any VST plugin to use the GPU? Or are they selling a software development kit that'll let a plugin company add GPU support to its own plugins?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
At the moment it appears to be vapourware. There is an expression of interest form to fill in and by the wording in that agreement it looks like they are still working out what they are going to build.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
It's a sad thing to admit but I've a feeling you're right Dingo... their web site mentions a VST3 plugin pack and I've emailed them (three times) to ask if I can try it - but they never even reply...  Sad
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!