Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soloing a mix-bus mutes assigned mix-busses
Mix buses 1-8 have the ability to send to mix buses 9-12. This provides the ability to combine mix buses 1-8 onto mix buses 9-12 in different and unique proportions from that on the stereo master.

Example:
- drums (mixbus 1) -> DRUMS-Bus (mixbus 9)
- percussion (mixbus 2)-> DRUMS-Bus (mixbus 9)
- bass (mixbus 3) -> -> INST-Bus (mixbus 10)
- guitars (mixbus 4) -> -> INST-Bus (mixbus 10)
- vocals (mixbus 11)

mixbus 9-11 are assigned to master.

Soloing a mixbus should not mute mix-busses assigned to it.
For example, soloing mixbus 9 (in in this case) should not mute drums & percussion (mix-busses 1 & 2).
Soloing bass-mixbus (mixbus 3) should not mute my INST-mix-bus (mixbus 10) ...
Instead the assigned mixbusses should also be set to Solo-mode just like with channels when muting a mixbus that has channels assigned.
Imo that would be the correct behaviour.

What am I missing?
Tom
Intel i9-10920X @3,5GHz, 32 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2 TB, SSD 860 PRO 2 TB, SSD 870 EVO Plus 1 TB, Mixbus 32c 7.x, Nuendo, Reaper, WIN 10 Pro, RME UFX+, Ferrofish A16 MKII, Faderport 16, AOC Monitor 32", K+H O300, K+S Tiny C5, analog outboard gear (Tegeler RC Creme + RZM, SSL Fusion, Neve 511 ...)

Solo/mute behaviour is not always as "expected". Sometimes solo a mixbus and also the tracks asigned to it must be also soloed.
To my work flow I also meet things I would not expect.
VCA solo/mute is also a bit "interesting"

Solo a track asigned to mixbuses (with some efects like reverb on the mixbuses etc) works fine because the paralell audio is addad and heard.
But soloing a mixbus, say all the drums (that tracks are also assigned to some mixbuses) cannot add the effect mixbuses so sometimes I do not know what I really hear when soloing a mixbusSad

Tried all the routings on earth but could not get what I really want. Must make compromises in that regard.
The problem is even stranger in case of groups...
Wanted to get the instrument bus sidechained by the vocal and it works but soloing this mixbus causes some effect buses muted so cannot really test/listen to what I want and need

Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
It took me ages to come close to understanding how solo works in MB. It is crucial to know the difference between SIP, AFL, and PFL solo modes. If you run a separate Monitor bus you can easily switch between modes (not sure if you don't use Monitor bus, never done that).
It's probably in the manual somewhere.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

Monitor bus enabled. (mixbus 32c)
1. channels routed mixbusses 1-8
2. mixbusses 1-8 routed to mixbus 9-12.
3. mixbusses 9-12 routed to main-bus.

that way I can easily do stems (for example acapella version) by soloing mixbus 11 (vocals).
or do a stem drums/persuccion-only (mixbus 9)
according to the manual this should be no problem.

Excert from Manual 32c:
"Bus Matrix

Note that mix buses 1-8 have the ability to send to mix buses 9-12, as do the channel strips. This provides the ability to combine mix buses 1-8 onto mix buses 9-12 in different and unique proportions from that on the stereo master. This is known in the live and theatre mixing world as a “matrix” capability. For example, imagine you have the whole band assigned to mix buses 1-8, using mixbus 1 for drums, mixbus 2 for keyboards, etc, and all vocals on mixbus 8. By assigning mix buses 1-7 to one of mixbus 9-12, you can create a band mix with no vocals simultaneously with the main mix, which might be useful as a karaoke mix. Another example might be if you are using Mixbus to create sound effects for theatre, mix buses 9-12 might be used as sources for 8 surround speakers around the theatre. You would have the ability to change the position or proportion of mix buses 1-8 in the surround speakers at will."

btw: I do not like workarounds but what you can do is: assign mixbusses to vca and use solo button of vca channel (for example assign mixbus 1 (drums) and mixbus 2 (percussion) which are routed to mixbus 9 to a vca-fader; also assign mixbus 9 to this vca-fader. this will solo mixbus 1,2 and 9.
Intel i9-10920X @3,5GHz, 32 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2 TB, SSD 860 PRO 2 TB, SSD 870 EVO Plus 1 TB, Mixbus 32c 7.x, Nuendo, Reaper, WIN 10 Pro, RME UFX+, Ferrofish A16 MKII, Faderport 16, AOC Monitor 32", K+H O300, K+S Tiny C5, analog outboard gear (Tegeler RC Creme + RZM, SSL Fusion, Neve 511 ...)

I also experienced this confusing behavior of soloing 9-12 busses.

I had to mess around with Monitor SIP, AFL, PFL and also right-click on Solo button and try Solos Safe and Isolate.

I cannot remember what I did exactly now to get the sound of Soloed 12 buss but remember it was counterintuitive. I assumed I had lack of advanced mixer skills to understand the logic behind this routing. Now I am not so sure that the state of things is the correct way because it confuses average users and maybe calls for refinement and really clear instruction in the manual and a forum post for those who Google it.
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92