Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AVA Vocal Flow maxes CPU
I got to experiment with a simple two-track project and in the new Mixbus 32C-7.
One instance of AVA Vocal still peaked the CPU, but Windows CPU usage was around 60%.
That's with the maximum buffer settings applied
I suppose I could always tweak the AVA Vocal accordingly (with a bit of gaffa tape over the CPU readout) then Export/Import a Stem of the vocal track, than remove the plugin ...
(03-24-2021, 03:16 AM)TheBassBagwhan Wrote: One instance of AVA Vocal still peaked the CPU, but Windows CPU usage was around 60%.

If you're not in a position to try Audiogridder, maybe try using Jack as your backend, rather than PortAudio. Jack improves things for me (no xruns) and Audiogridder improves things massively - though Audiogridder needs 2 x PC's and it's not really useful if you want to display multiple plugins at once...
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
Yes vocal flow adds some 20% dsp, but it is a comlpex plug consisting of a lot plugins. Sure putting the same chsain in separate plugins would do less increase.

As to the DSP improvement I may tell some good things I see. A large session I mixed in V5 (32C) hit DSP 100% a lot times even distorted
The same session in V6 played at 80-90% well. And in the brand new V7 it plays 75-80%
So Harrison really have done something to decrease the dsp usage of Mixbus as general.

I have Waves Abbey Road Plate and Chamber reverbs sounding great but cannot use since DSP hit the sky if addedSad
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(03-24-2021, 03:54 AM)johne53 Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 03:16 AM)TheBassBagwhan Wrote: One instance of AVA Vocal still peaked the CPU, but Windows CPU usage was around 60%.

If you're not in a position to try Audiogridder, maybe try using Jack as your backend, rather than PortAudio. Jack improves things for me (no xruns) and Audiogridder improves things massively - though Audiogridder needs 2 x PC's and it's not really useful if you want to display multiple plugins at once...

John, I should have mentioned before that I'm generally quite minimalist in my mixing by the time I'm bringing stems into MB and CPU usage is rarely a problem, so the kind of networking setup you're suggesting is a bit overkill just to cater for one plugin. And while AVA does have all the separate components, I disable all but the character/voice modules (especially now I have 32C and the EQ is redundant). Plus I was attracted to the de-esser,  because in my audiobook narration sibilence is an issue. 
But all in all, I'm just a bit disappointed with this CPU problem when so many other complex plugins don't do the same. At the same time, I'm glad to have the problem identified as not uncommon. It's not really my fault (as such). Cheers.
Maybe take a look at this post in the General Discussions forum. It seems there's a company called Braingines who've developed some software to run VST plugin processing on your computer's GPU (graphics processing unit) rather than on the CPU. They're also offering a free demo copy.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!