Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrison AVA plugins respond "very" laggy when changing parameters via mouse
Hi there. I'm very interested in getting the Harrison AVA plugins as professional solution for audio work on Linux. I tested the demos and they all respond "very" laggy when changing parameters via mouse on the gui but not when mapping controls to let's say macros in Bitwig. The problem also occurs with other Hosts like Ardour or Reaper. This is on Debian Bullseye.

Any idea what could cause this? Any chance to fix this?
(03-10-2021, 03:15 PM)TheYke Wrote: Hi there. I'm very interested in getting the Harrison AVA plugins as professional solution for audio work on Linux. I tested the demos and they all respond "very" laggy when changing parameters via mouse on the gui but not when mapping controls to let's say macros in Bitwig. The problem also occurs with other Hosts like Ardour or Reaper. This is on Debian Bullseye.

I share your experience, at least to some degree.
This is on Pop_OS! 20.04 (Ubuntu based with Gnome*), using several hosts including Mixbus 32C, Reaper, Qtractor.
And I have a very strong computer. Big Grin

I use AVA Mastering EQ quite a bit, and this works fine for me. The lag is noticeable, but it's no biggie. It works.
I have the AVA Multiband Compressor, and use it every now and then. It's usable for me, even though the lag and lack of response are more noticeable than with the Mastering EQ. It's a tad annoying, but usable.
AVA Vocal Flow, however is sadly just annoying. I can press the buttons time and time again without anything happening (RTA buttons, for instance). There's not much use in trying to adjust parameters because of the lag. It's a powertool I can't really use because of its behaviour.

Actually, I recently thought about purchasing the AVA De-esser, just to be reminded that I actually have this de-esser in the AVA Vocal Flow. It's just somewhat unavailable for me. Sad

* it's been suggested earlier on this forum that the issue might actually be Gnome/GTK related. I wouldn't know. It might be.
(03-12-2021, 04:11 AM)krans Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 03:15 PM)TheYke Wrote: Hi there. I'm very interested in getting the Harrison AVA plugins as professional solution for audio work on Linux. I tested the demos and they all respond "very" laggy when changing parameters via mouse on the gui but not when mapping controls to let's say macros in Bitwig. The problem also occurs with other Hosts like Ardour or Reaper. This is on Debian Bullseye.

I share your experience, at least to some degree.
This is on Pop_OS! 20.04 (Ubuntu based with Gnome*), using several hosts including Mixbus 32C, Reaper, Qtractor.
And I have a very strong computer. Big Grin

I use AVA Mastering EQ quite a bit, and this works fine for me. The lag is noticeable, but it's no biggie. It works.
I have the AVA Multiband Compressor, and use it every now and then. It's usable for me, even though the lag and lack of response are more noticeable than with the Mastering EQ. It's a tad annoying, but usable.
AVA Vocal Flow, however is sadly just annoying. I can press the buttons time and time again without anything happening (RTA buttons, for instance). There's not much use in trying to adjust parameters because of the lag. It's a powertool I can't really use because of its behaviour.

Actually, I recently thought about purchasing the AVA De-esser, just to be reminded that I actually have this de-esser in the AVA Vocal Flow. It's just somewhat unavailable for me. Sad

* it's been suggested earlier on this forum that the issue might actually be Gnome/GTK related. I wouldn't know. It might be.

Thanks for your insights. The power of my pc shouldn't be the problem here, either. Big Grin 
The tip with GTK/Gnome is interesting.... although I really love Gnome and would be sad if I had to leave it for that issue^^ 

While the plugins are "working" this lag is not acceptable for me. I'm panning to make a living out of audio (post)production and sound design and I'm searching for the optimal toolkit. Too much annoying stuff is holding me back when being creative.  Undecided

I have the same experience with AVA Vocal Flow on Linux (Fedora 33 here).  Amazing plugin, overall it works great, but the plugin UI is not very responsive.

Sometimes I wish Harrison would also automatically license the "lesser" plugins that are embedded in these kitchen-sink type plugins, so in this case when I don't need the whole kitchen sink, I can use XT Vocal Character without the UI lag. Smile

Greg
+1
AVA(s) ds, me, sc all laggy in Bitwig on Ubuntu 20.04.
Hey all, I had this issue with mouse lag too and was able to fix it by following the advice on the Arch Linux wiki Intel graphics page "Disable_Vertical_Synchronization_(VSYNC)". I'd post the link but the forum says I'm not allowed to put a url in the post.

I had tried using the MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.6 env variable but my OpenGL version string was set to 4.6 already, so that had no effect. Adding this ~/.driconf file did the trick however:

Code:
<driconf>
  <device screen="0" driver="dri2">
    <application name="Default">
      <option name="vblank_mode" value="0"/>
    </application>
  </device>
</driconf>
(06-16-2021, 01:46 AM)cts Wrote: Hey all, I had this issue with mouse lag too and was able to fix it by following the advice on the Arch Linux wiki Intel graphics page "Disable_Vertical_Synchronization_(VSYNC)". 

Thanks for this. I had just about given up on using AVA, believing that I'd need to remove Gnome which I really didn't want to do.

I didn't try the driconf file suggestion but did manage to get the environment settings to work by including them in the command that launches Mixbus...

env vblank_mode=0 __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 /opt/Mixbus32C-7.0.150/bin/mixbus32c7