Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UAD vs others
Ok friends before I go to UAD I would love to hear comments and suggestion from users who own UAD products and other plugins. Preferably people who don't use crack version of plugins. Not that I hate you or something but I've been there. There is a huge difference between crack and none crack. I really don't advice people to use crack software rather there are plenty of free plugins like melda production blue cat and even waves is really cheap for what you get when it is on sale buy gold and you don't need any.

To my point. I have heard people using UAD product for mix and it sounds like a crap. My decent collection of plugins together with Harrison they are just fantastic. is it necessary for me to go to UAD what do I get in general from UAD products relatively speaking to the normal plugins.

the reason i'm asking this is cause Harrison came from audio background and gave us this DAW, isn't it? and it sounds fantastic. Same way, do I get extra like Harrison if I go UAD?

plugins that I own till now.

FROM WAVES
CLA Classic Compressors
DeBreath
eMotion ST + StudioRack
H-EQ Native
Kramer Master Tape Native
Native Power Pack
OneKnob Pumper
Renaissance Bass Native
Sound Design Suite Native
StudioRack Native

nomad factory all except magma
plug & mix all
Reverbrate
màag eq plugin alliance
kick start
shredspread plugin alliance
bx boom

I might have forgotten free stuff and plugins from some other companies oh ya IK multimedia and product like them I'm very happy I use them with Harrison they give me a decent result. So do I need UAD? what is your input UAD with Harrison or with native plugins.
What are you expecting to gain with more plug-ins? Seems like you have a solid collection. Plug-ins are just tools. And in mixbus I find that I use very few 3rd party plugs. Probably the most used one is metric halo's channel strip and only because it can be used for very surgical eq'ing.

I believe it was Joe Gilder that said, "most pro mixers don't try and use every plug-in on a mix. They try to use the least possible plug-ins on a mix." Or something close to that. Once I started trying to use as little as possible, the better my mixes have become. And really mixbus provides all that you need. Especially if you have the mix essentials bundle.

I'm not saying the uad stuff isn't great. I've heard it is. But I've just decided until I need something. I'm not buying anything else just because it's great/on-sale/there/sounds great/ect.

And fwiw I don't think there's anyway to crack uad plugs. You have to have their hardware for them to run on. Just fwiw.
(05-12-2015, 02:43 AM)Matt Wrote: What are you expecting to gain with more plug-ins? Seems like you have a solid collection. Plug-ins are just tools……..
But I've just decided until I need something. I'm not buying anything else just because it's great/on-sale/there/sounds great/ect.

Good advice Matt, I would save your money and buy a decent mic or speakers instead.
Sometimes I look at the 3rd party plugs I've spent good money on and I have to ask myself 'why did you bother'.
I don't use half of them anymore, wish I could sell them off actually.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Interesting..... I was just wondering having FATSO, lexicon and EMT products worth a try?
(05-12-2015, 01:27 PM)Bereket Wrote: Interesting..... I was just wondering having FATSO, lexicon and EMT products worth a try?
Well FATSO is a tape sim programme, pretty much duplicating what you have in MB.
I remember EMT plates, they were kinda OK in their day, being the only reverb other than the Great British Spring, but convolution / IR reverbs pretty much model the best of EMT and Lexicon.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Thank you for the detailed knowledge. you have made my decision a lot easier for what I have to do. Most probably I will put my cash over a more powerful computer. Thank you so much Dingo.
(05-12-2015, 03:10 AM)Dingo Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 02:43 AM)Matt Wrote: What are you expecting to gain with more plug-ins? Seems like you have a solid collection. Plug-ins are just tools……..
But I've just decided until I need something. I'm not buying anything else just because it's great/on-sale/there/sounds great/ect.

Good advice Matt, I would save your money and buy a decent mic or speakers instead.
Sometimes I look at the 3rd party plugs I've spent good money on and I have to ask myself 'why did you bother'.
I don't use half of them anymore, wish I could sell them off actually.

Yeah I've bought and sold more plugs than I care to admit. It took a while to realize they're all tools. None of them make or break a mix. And more isn't better. It's just more to dig through. And in mixbus I can easily get by with the stock plugs/built in features. In a way I wish a could have started with mixbus. Now if we can just get v3. My "new" PC is ready to get rockin and rollin. Smile