Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro-level Linux Audio Interface with 16+ inputs
(03-14-2020, 10:53 AM)bachstudies Wrote: If someone really cares enough to quibble about the brand just tell 'em that your engineering friend modded the components so it now sounds like a piece of $5k gear. Their ears will suddenly start hearing things they never dreamed possible.

People wouldn't read that far... first thing they read on a web page is the gearlist and not the background. Sadly. And studios all over the world respond with respective gear lists. The audio equipment industry did a great job here. Look at Gearslutz.com Smile

So yes, you won't hear much of a difference, but some expensive gear will make dialling in some goodness easier and faster, especially in difficult cases. All given that the acoustic treatment of the studio, clean powerlines, RF shielding etc etc are adequate.
And if you (are sure to) find the clientel who are happy to pay higher studio rates for it you can as well have it.
So you could put an SSL in there and hide the actual converters behind Smile
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Thanks guys, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about, the BM16 looks interesting but it's definitely not cheap. It's a strange situation where I have a number of potential clients who hesitate to work with me because I don't have high-end gear and a good room. These guys have that end of it taken care of, and it's not out of the question that the whole could be greater than the sum of its parts.

But actually come to think of it they are in the midst of installing a very serious digital desk, which I presume will have MADI IO. In that case would it be enough to just get a MADI capable RME interface and call it a day? Would I be able to set up headphone mixes and whatnot this way? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I have no experience with MADI, DANTE etc.
(03-15-2020, 07:12 AM)dankinzelman Wrote: But actually come to think of it they are in the midst of installing a very serious digital desk, which I presume will have MADI IO. In that case would it be enough to just get a MADI capable RME interface and call it a day? Would I be able to set up headphone mixes and whatnot this way? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I have no experience with MADI, DANTE etc.

Too many variables here... every decent digital desk should be able to create multiple mixes, I had an A&H Qu32 in my old studio which was capable of 3 stereo and 4 mono mixes pre-fader. It also gave me 32 channels of audio over class compliant USB - that's plug-and-play under Linux and Mac and for Windows they have a driver. If you look at the A&H SQ-series - That's the Qu on steroids, I had a good play with it at the product launch here in Adelaide.

Things may vary, you need to find out which desk they want to install and which interface options are available. But you will definitely have only the task of getting things in/out the computer, everything else, like cues, is taken care of in the desk itself.

I'm happy to help once the basic concept is known.

Cheers,
MMM
Linux throughout!

(03-15-2020, 08:50 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: If you look at the A&H SQ-series - That's the Qu on steroids, I had a good play with it at the product launch here in Adelaide.
I had the pleasure of doing the same on a Digico Quantum 338 at its launch here in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago. I guess it is primarily a live desk but is so flexible it would make a great recording desk. Has a built-in 48 channel USB sound card. Digico preamps and converters are really good.
Of course if you're really serious you should be considering a Harrison Trion. Cool Wink
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(03-13-2020, 04:35 PM)dankinzelman Wrote: I've been recording (happily) on budget gear for 10 years and the quality of my recordings has gradually improved as my skills have grown. My limited experience with expensive/nicer gear has shown me that I can sometimes get better results, but more than anything it's a lot less finicky and more fun. I get your points about not getting fooled by fancy names - my usual setup is a Saffire Pro 40 and ADA 8200.

But this is an opportunity that I would prefer not to miss - these guys have spent a few hundred thousand remodeling a villa, acquiring some amazing mics and buying a beautiful Hamburg Steinway. If they don't want photos circulating of a Behringer mixer in the middle of their control room I can understand that, and actually think its a sound marketing decision.

TBH I don't feel secure enough in my ears and experience to guarantee that there isn't a quality difference between low and high-end gear. I don't mind spending a bit more to get something whose quality nobody can call into question, especially since that would be my entry ticket, and I think working here would repay my investment in relatively short order.

Bottom line is I have no axe to grind, and would prefer not to argue about the studio's decisions regarding the market segment they've chosen to court, nor about my desire to take this opportunity - everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I just want to know what the best Linux-compatible interfaces are at the mid to high end.

Hi Sorry but they will expect Pro-tools and Mac or windows.
You'll be able to meet there expectations before you play a note.
You'll need good sound confidence in your abilities to use Linux with clients.
Buy a Harrison desk problem solved.
Cheers Bob
( when you get superb results with mixbus 6 and an X32 you realise the skill is in you not the gear)
Some notes about Protools and my reality:

I have received multi-tracks from several parts of the world in the last years, included (the very conservative) Nashville. In my experience, "everyone" in Nashville are using Protools and many contracts says that Protools should be used, but everyone has sent me Multitracts or their Protools projects and they have my mix in return as ordinary wav files. That has not been a problem for me, ever. To be honest, I only have one official album credit related to Nashville.

Here in Europe, the situation is that many people are using Logic, and almost every multi-tracks I receive for mixing are from Logic, it has been some Protools and also other DAWs. I mix everything in Mixbus32C and I'm also using Mixbus32C when I'm mastering and just send the resulting files to my clients. So in my world, Protools is not a subject at all.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(03-19-2020, 06:00 AM)Jostein Wrote: I mix everything in Mixbus32C and I'm also using Mixbus32C when I'm mastering and just send the resulting files to my clients. So in my world, Protools is not a subject at all.

Similar here. Dan's problem, if I have understood that correctly, is that it is not his own studio but people are financing it and have a certain opinion of what "professional" is - this opinion doesn't have to be rational and knowledge based.
It's like in the IT: "Nobody was ever fired for buying IBM/Microsoft" - technological argumentation fails a certain clientele - story of my life Smile
Dan could sneak in some better tools after the grand opening and present it in a demo though. In IT I was successful with this some times (and got fired the other times haha).
MMM
Linux throughout!

Exactly, the people I've mixed for so far have never been upset that it doesn't 'sound like Protools' - I think the root problem is usually not the quality of the IO (at least in my case). This is more about attracting and reassuring potential clients, and for me this was also an opportunity to invest in some hardware whose quality I will never outgrow.

Unfortunately, with recent developments, the idea of investing in any kind of hardware at all has assumed a much lower slot in my list of priorities.

Hope everyone is healthy and safe!
(04-02-2020, 09:13 AM)dankinzelman Wrote: Unfortunately, with recent developments, the idea of investing in any kind of hardware at all has assumed a much lower slot in my list of priorities.

Hope everyone is healthy and safe!

Sorry to hear that. Stay safe yourself.
MMM
Linux throughout!

(04-02-2020, 07:07 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Sorry to hear that. Stay safe yourself.

He he. I for one extends to the covid-19 a big Welcome !