Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MixBus!
Now that I finally have this DAW talking to my XR18, I gotta say, this thing is gorgeous! Love the feel, the look, and the sound... It's exactly like you expect a high end mixer to look/feel.. and the editor even makes sense...

It's all very intuitive, and I love that I don't have to continually right click or mouse through menus to do simple stuff like set the trim or assign a channel to a bus... Love that the dynamics are right there with the fader on the channel strip...

Been going through the manual and trying things out..

Just decided to try out a plug in on a stereo music track.. The 3D triple delay is super lush... So much 'space'... Thanks for the awesome plug in!

I'm gonna have a lot of fun working with this DAW...

Pretty stoked at what I just scored for $40! Big Grin

Thanks Harrison!
Now a fan of your DAW.. Heart
Welcome to the club, MountainCraft. Mixbus is a fantastic product that will eventually dominate the DAW market. Just my gut feeling, but my gut is usually right haha. It has its strengths, it has its weaknesses. But it sounds DAMN GOOD! As a new user, you will find it so easy to make a great mix in little time. Also, you might also want to check out the open source Ardour project, which is what Mixbus is based on. Ardour doesn't have the "magical" mixer (that is Mixbus), but is great for recording live projects that you can then import to MB.

What OS are you using?
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
Congratulations! You will certainly enjoy it. But be aware it can do crazy things occasionally. Pretty much the only problem I have is "zebra bars" that appear on the editor with the message that it can't open a file, then you can't save the project. It's stuck at this point. This happens predictably on new projects and the fix is to close the project, re-open it, then the error it never happens again. Maybe you won't have this but I do and this is my workaround. Do control + S a lot so save frequently.

Enjoy!

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
This is definitely the most excited I've ever been about a DAW.. I've just scratched the surface so far, but hopefully the rest of it is like what I've experienced thus far..

The one thing I've always hated about other DAWs I've used is that they just don't look and feel like the analog hardware I grew up with.. It's like working on a high end studio console that you can take with you wherever you go..

This thing feels like you can almost put your hands on the knobs and faders, and everything is right there in the channel strip, the Busses and Master section.. Routing is so easy.. You just depress the button the the channel strip like a real mixer.. Then you go over to the Buss and assign it to the master.. Easy peasy.. The EQ is awesome and right there, the dynamics are right there, and if you can load the mixer you want, your PC can handle the number crunching, because it's already allocated it when you add the channel.. (plug ins can add to that processor load of course)

The plug ins included with the deal aren't cheap ones either... They are seriously powerful, sweet sounding 'extras'

(02-01-2019, 10:27 AM)doncolga Wrote: Congratulations! You will certainly enjoy it. But be aware it can do crazy things occasionally. Pretty much the only problem I have is "zebra bars" that appear on the editor with the message that it can't open a file, then you can't save the project. It's stuck at this point. This happens predictably on new projects and the fix is to close the project, re-open it, then the error it never happens again. Maybe you won't have this but I do and this is my workaround. Do control + S a lot so save frequently.

Enjoy!

Donny

I had an issue where it wasn't recognizing my I/O hardware except at 44.1k and the Audio/MIDI I/O was broken.. The drivers disappeared in my system, yet two other DAWS still saw them..

Yesterday, the drivers magically reappeared in my Device Manager while I was trying to figure out where they went, and then everything worked in MixBus.. Weird, but it appears to be over (I hope permanently)

I'll keep my eye out for the issue you are experiencing.. So basically you lose all the work you were doing since you opened the session for that period, and then have to do a do over from where you were when you reopened the project? Or is your work to that point still there? It saves the history with the projects, doesn't it? Is the day's history still there too? If so, then that's not a huge deal, I suppose..

I can see this forum mechanism is a little weird and I just erased a previous comment I made because of it..

Now I know to just let it do it's thing...
(02-01-2019, 10:31 AM)MountainCraft Wrote: This is definitely the most excited I've ever been about a DAW.. I've just scratched the surface so far, but hopefully the rest of it is like what I've experienced thus far..

The one thing I've always hated about other DAWs I've used is that they just don't look and feel like the analog hardware I grew up with.. It's like working on a high end studio console that you can take with you wherever you go..

This thing feels like you can almost put your hands on the knobs and faders, and everything is right there in the channel strip, the Busses and Master section.. Routing is so easy.. You just depress the button the the channel strip like a real mixer.. Then you go over to the Buss and assign it to the master.. Easy peasy.. The EQ is awesome and right there, the dynamics are right there, and if you can load the mixer you want, your PC can handle the number crunching, because it's already allocated it when you add the channel.. (plug ins can add to that processor load of course)

The plug ins included with the deal aren't cheap ones either... They are seriously powerful, sweet sounding 'extras'

(02-01-2019, 10:27 AM)doncolga Wrote: Congratulations! You will certainly enjoy it. But be aware it can do crazy things occasionally. Pretty much the only problem I have is "zebra bars" that appear on the editor with the message that it can't open a file, then you can't save the project. It's stuck at this point. This happens predictably on new projects and the fix is to close the project, re-open it, then the error it never happens again. Maybe you won't have this but I do and this is my workaround. Do control + S a lot so save frequently.

Enjoy!

Donny

I had an issue where it wasn't recognizing my I/O hardware except at 44.1k and the Audio/MIDI I/O was broken.. The drivers disappeared in my system, yet two other DAWS still saw them..

Yesterday, the drivers magically reappeared in my Device Manager while I was trying to figure out where they went, and then everything worked in MixBus.. Weird, but it appears to be over (I hope permanently)

I'll keep my eye out for the issue you are experiencing.. So basically you lose all the work you were doing since you opened the session for that period, and then have to do a do over from where you were when you reopened the project? Or is your work to that point still there? It saves the history with the projects, doesn't it? Is the day's history still there too? If so, then that's not a huge deal, I suppose..

I can see this forum mechanism is a little weird and I just erased a previous comment I made because of it..

Now I know to just let it do it's thing...

So far I've mostly lost the work up to that point. I believe a time or two I got options to revert to a saved that been a little more recent. I never needed to dig into that much because almost 100% of the time, this happens very early on when I'm moving tracks around, so there usually hasn't been much lost. Only the times when I hadn't saved recently has it been a PITA, but even then, due to the MixBus straightforwardness, it's easy to rebuild, or even improve.

I think you are in for a treat. Shortcuts I wish I knew on Day 1: "P" for playhead placement, "tab" to drop markers, "q" and "w" to navigate markers, alt+m to toggle mixer, I've for "B" to toggle busses and "V" to toggle VCA's, I export four formats in one pass, browse to export folder right off analysis window (those last two I especially miss on Studio One.) You can toggle the editor list (on the right) and the editor mixer (on the left) and the mixer list (on the left). Bus and VCA spilling is also great for organization and navigation. It's not 100% roses as I enjoy tracking in Studio One, and mixing here, but I'm slowly wetting my feet in MB for tracking.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Congrats, Mixbus is great and is being used right now to further my music productions Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02-01-2019, 10:27 AM)doncolga Wrote: Pretty much the only problem I have is "zebra bars" that appear on the editor with the message that it can't open a file, then you can't save the project. It's stuck at this point. This happens predictably on new projects and the fix is to close the project, re-open it, then the error it never happens again.

Thought it was just me, or something odd with the import wavs. I get the same thing - typically about 5 minutes or so after importing wavs. First thing I do is drag/drop the tracks to create a proper order for them. At some point along the way they all start to report being incompatible.

As you say, save repeatedly so when it fails you've not lost too much. On second load the problem never happens again.
Wood

i9-9900k CPU, 32Gb RAM, Nvidia 2070 Super GPU, RME Babyface Pro Interface, W10 Pro