Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Struggling New User
I don't do this for a living, my first I've ever used was Reaper. I've been able to watch videos and get proficient in Reaper to do the basics (split tracks, fade in/out, some automation). Those basics aren't coming easy for me in MB4. I've noticed what I've been able to accomplish sounds better with less plug-ins than Reaper. I love the analog mixer interface with the easy access to EQ and compression, the editor screen just hasn't clicked with me yet.
There are many Mixbus/Ardour videos on youtube covering the editor. The editor of Mixbus is pretty much identical to Ardour's. This might be a good video to start with, but I have not watched it. Read the info below the video for a timecode index.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKkoz0GL6Zw
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
Give it some time. Mixbus is so comfortably laid out. It shouldn't take you too long. I think Harrison has got a really good "feel" happening with Mixbus. I think most other DAWs are pretty cold. IMO of course.
Once you get it you can really fly in it.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Also, as Lexridge mentioned there are many Mixbus tutorial videos on Youtube. They helped me a lot.
Me too! Where do I even start? This thing is SO inconsistent, or just buggy. I close a session that is working just fine, when I re-open it the audio is way too low or way too high. When I try to save a preset, I can't type into any of the boxes. I can't find many of my plug-ins, the ones that are there might have their presets listed, but when I click on one nothing happens. The manual refers to things that aren't there. I spent a whole day on emails with support, who were very nice & helpful, but at the end of the day I just gave up. I'm running a newish OS 10.13.4 so I'm pretty sure that's not it. The learning curve is just too steep when it won't even cooperate on the most basic things.
(09-18-2018, 05:24 AM)Flaco Delgado Wrote: Me too! Where do I even start? This thing is SO inconsistent, or just buggy.

I do not find it is. I do post observations about things that are likely not right but that should not talk for Mixbus in general. Not at all.

From your description there seems to be bigger problems than ones immediately associated with Mixbus. I can type into any of the edit boxes Mixbus can show.

Let's take one in detail: What are exactly the presets you are trying to save ?

Cheers.
(09-18-2018, 05:24 AM)Flaco Delgado Wrote: Me too! Where do I even start? This thing is SO inconsistent, or just buggy. I close a session that is working just fine, when I re-open it the audio is way too low or way too high. When I try to save a preset, I can't type into any of the boxes. I can't find many of my plug-ins, the ones that are there might have their presets listed, but when I click on one nothing happens. The manual refers to things that aren't there. I spent a whole day on emails with support, who were very nice & helpful, but at the end of the day I just gave up. I'm running a newish OS 10.13.4 so I'm pretty sure that's not it. The learning curve is just too steep when it won't even cooperate on the most basic things.

Hmmm...can you be more specific? Just asking for more detail because this has not been my experience at all. What have you found in the manual that you don't see in the DAW? Also, no DAW will just change the volume by itself, but there are many other places that could happen, like your audio interface setup, the speakers themselves, etc.

Please keep us posted as we like to help.

Donny
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
@Fosnut
I completely understand that new users find Mixbus confusing and/or intimidating. It's not the most tintuitive DAW, but it really is a dream to work with once you get a hang of things. Tutorials are great but I've always prefered to learn things acording to my workflow. I got onboard when MB3 was fairly new, and spent a LOT of time with the manual. I would have it open in the backround and search for subjects all the time. If I got to a point when something wasn't doing as I expected I would look it up in the manual (shortcuts, menus, functions etc.) It didn't take me more then about a week to get things flowing pretty nicely, but I did spend many hours with that manual.
Now if the manual is not up to par anymore that is a real shame, as it was tremendously helpful to me, and it was spot on back then.

@Flaco Delgado
In my experience Mixbus has had a fair share of stability issues, but the later versions of MB4 and now with MB5 has things working nicely on my setup. I've stuck with it for MB3 and most of MB4 until I got a version that was completely compatible with my setup mind you (a windows machine I built for the task). I'm not surprised when I read that people are having stability issues, however yours are pretty extreme. Is it out of the question for you to do a complete reinstall of your system. Format everything and just install OS, drivers and Mixbus, then slowly start adding plugins. I know it's a hassle but it solved MANY issues for me. Issues that did not initially appear to be pluginrelated. And having a clean slate is very helpful when troubleshooting.
Each DAW has it's advantages and disadvantages, strengths and areas for improvements and varying performance reliabilities at differing points in the development life cycle of a product. Your choice in hardware and Operating System is equally important, for example the first chance I have I will be getting a machine with a lot more RAM Smile.

It is a lot easier to use MixBus if you have been using hardware studio equipment than with other products. A quick search online for tutorial video's will help with the track editing suite. Don't look past any reviews either as they often glean out the odd nugget. The online User Manual is good as well.

I miss the scissors mostly that are a part of "mother Ardour", but it hasn't taken me long to get use to the drag n drop / keyboard shortcut style and that is where your workflow gains improvements with speed in each product. The sound polish, look and feel is oh so familiar.

From the sounds of things you are running a fairly new Mac. You didn't say how much ram?.

Have you searched online for setting up the Mac to make it operate more effectively in a real time environment. I'd suggest starting with that first.

Regardless of what DAW you use that will help performance greatly.

Finding / loosing or not finding plugins is most unusual and sounds like the machine your using could do with a bit of a clean up especially if you have been trying different software it can end up a bit messy.

Providing they are somewhat compliant to the standard purported to be supported and are installed in the "preferred locations" Mixbus will find things..

e.g. I am looking at and using the Calf Studio range of plugins for different work flows. I'm thinking about "sorting out the skin's" which would involve porting some code from linux across to the Mac. These plugins can be a bit bleeding edge at times but look very pretty. Mixbus finds all of them. There are standard locations for plugin's with Mac. With a Mac the harrison supplied plugins are in the package container so I am presuming the plugins are not either of these two.

All the best with sorting things out.