Harrison Mixbus Forum

Full Version: 32Cv5: Plugin Manager: very short instrument list ( solved )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When selecting 'Show Instruments Only' in the plugin manager, the resulting list is very short. For instance, none of the Tone2 synths are listed. Beatzille is, but Bazille isn't. ACE and Diva are not shown. Pianoteq is not shown, none of the Image Line synths are shown, etc, etc.

Choosing 'Show All' will not show them either. And so, a search for Bazille or Diva returns nothing.

Filtering by creator inside the Plugin Manager is equally useless.

However, all of these plugins are accessible when bypassing the Plugin Manager, eg. right-clicking and choosing 'By Creator ...' instead.
When you click on a plugin, however you find it, there is a box that says "Tags for selected plugin", where you can enter whatever category tags you want.
Does not make much sense. You are saying that in order to use the Plugin Manager a plugin must be tagged according to Mixbus's way of tagging plugins ? I have to manually tag 50 plugins in order to benefit from the Plugin Manager ? That would be quite unique in the DAW world. u-he Bazille is showing in the plugin managers of every other DAW but not Mixbus32C v5. u-he Beatzille OTOH, a free product, is shown in the Plugin Manager. Now following this logic we would have to tell u-he to write their software correctly ? Come on.
I agree, it doesn't seem to be working right... selecting "Instrument Only" in the main dialog only shows me 4 virtual instrument plugins, which is definitely not correct -- it's not showing Pianoteq, for instance. I look up Pianoteq manually and it's even tagged as "Instrument". However, if I use the menu and go to New Plugin->By Tags->instrument, I get 20+ plugins listed, including Pianoteq.
Indeed. This is what I refer to at the start of this thread. The full menu path is:

New Plugins -> By Creator -> <creator name>

This will show all plugins, even the ones that the Plugin Manager refuses to show.

LIkewise, as you have seen, New Plugin->By Tags->instrument will show all instruments, even the ones the Plugin Manager refuses to show.

Bypassing the Plugin Manager is the way to go for now ... until we all marvel at the deep thoughtfulness of this new principle (poking a bit of a joke here Smile
(08-15-2018, 11:07 AM)jonetsu Wrote: [ -> ]u-he Bazille is showing in the plugin managers of every other DAW but not Mixbus32C v5.

Perhaps you should use every other DAW then? Smile

Meanwhile: Both Beatzille and Bazille should be listed in the "Instrument" dropdown in "Add track or bus" dialog. Could you confirm if this is the case on your machine? Thanks.
PS. Actually after installing and scanning VSTs, they're listed fine here "Instruments + Show all I/O". What am I missing?

[attachment=1642]
The problem is the "I/O Filter" selection. By default, Mixbus shows only plugins that have Audio Ins+Outs. Many instruments only have audio outputs, but not inputs.

Mac users will not notice this problem, because most AU instruments have configurable I/O, and will still appear.

Some possible solutions are:
1) Select "All I/O" in the I/O filter, when you want to list your instruments.
OR
2) Type the name of the desired instrument in the "search" field; this will ignore all filters and immediately show the plugin(s) you are seeking.

In an upcoming release, we will likely remove the "I/O Filter" selection. It seemed like a good idea; but when combined with the variable I/O connections of AU plugins, I now realize that it has very little benefit.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
-Ben
(08-15-2018, 03:37 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is the "I/O Filter" selection. By default, Mixbus shows only plugins that have Audio Ins+Outs. Many instruments only have audio outputs, but not inputs.

Mac users will not notice this problem, because most AU instruments have configurable I/O, and will still appear.

Some possible solutions are:
1) Select "All I/O" in the I/O filter, when you want to list your instruments.
OR
2) Type the name of the desired instrument in the "search" field; this will ignore all filters and immediately show the plugin(s) you are seeking.

In an upcoming release, we will likely remove the "I/O Filter" selection. It seemed like a good idea; but when combined with the variable I/O connections of AU plugins, I now realize that it has very little benefit.

Enabling "Ignore Filters when searching" will allow showing those 'renegade' plugins.

Thing is, one must have Eagle eyes to see this option enabled.

One is enabled, the other not:

[attachment=1643]
[attachment=1644]

Yes, showing the items in the Filter box is dependent on having text in the search field. Disabling filtering by itself is not enough to grey out the items in the Filter box. No to mention the color of the enabled option. Not much of a feedback to the user.

About the AU plugins strange I/O capabilities. It must be totally great for AU users to be able to input sound into, say, Pianoteq's piano modeling, even if Pianoteq's authors have not designed this nor seen the utility. But for all other users, PC and Linux, an instrument is foremost an output device with no audio input. Some allow external audio access to their FX sections, but most are output only.
"Ignore Filters when Searching" should default to "ON" ( it does for me )

You might try setting it "ON", and then save your session ( so your global settings are stored ). Then I think it will stay enabled from now on.

-Ben
Pages: 1 2