Harrison Mixbus Forum

Full Version: Can I use the plugins I already have with Mixbus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi to all. I am new here and considering buying Mixbus. I presently have Pro Tools 8.0.3 and quite an investment in RTAS plugins. I know Mixbus wouldn't use RTAS but all of my plugins are available in other formats such as AU, VST, etc. I have been looking but have not seen an answer to this question:

Will I be able to use my existing plugins with Mixbus?

I see that Mixbus has some standard plugins but many of my plugs are specialized and some of them just sound so good that I really don't want to mix without them. I realize that I could port outputs from Pro Tools into Mixbus, using my plugins in Pro Tools and do the summing and balancing in Mixbus, but I am trying to get rid of Pro Tools and use another DAW entirely. Thanks for any help.
(07-31-2014, 03:24 PM)montelee Wrote: [ -> ]Hi to all. I am new here and considering buying Mixbus. I presently have Pro Tools 8.0.3 and quite an investment in RTAS plugins. I know Mixbus wouldn't use RTAS but all of my plugins are available in other formats such as AU, VST, etc. I have been looking but have not seen an answer to this question:

Will I be able to use my existing plugins with Mixbus?

I see that Mixbus has some standard plugins but many of my plugs are specialized and some of them just sound so good that I really don't want to mix without them. I realize that I could port outputs from Pro Tools into Mixbus, using my plugins in Pro Tools and do the summing and balancing in Mixbus, but I am trying to get rid of Pro Tools and use another DAW entirely. Thanks for any help.

Hello Montelee,

Pro Tools virtual routing is not supported in versions earlier than Pro Tools 9. Before 9, Pro Tools was not CoreAudio compatible, and was "hardware-locked."

Mixbus loads AU plug-ins on Mac, VST plug-ins on Windows. I imagine that many of the plug-ins you own will have an AU or VST version unless they are made by Avid / Digidesign. You may have to go back and find the original plug-in installer / disc if you only have the RTAS version installed.

Best,

Tim
Hi Tim-

Thanks so much for your quick and useful reply. So, very good then. If Mixbus will load AU plugins then my hesitation on getting Mixbus is over. I have been reading about Mixbus for a couple years now online and everyone says it is very musical/analog sounding. That is important. I also really like the channel strip format, and well the whole console idea. I could not find on the Harrison website though, any information about 3rd party plugins- could you direct me to the page I need? Thanks.
(07-31-2014, 09:59 PM)montelee Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Tim-

Thanks so much for your quick and useful reply. So, very good then. If Mixbus will load AU plugins then my hesitation on getting Mixbus is over. I have been reading about Mixbus for a couple years now online and everyone says it is very musical/analog sounding. That is important. I also really like the channel strip format, and well the whole console idea. I could not find on the Harrison website though, any information about 3rd party plugins- could you direct me to the page I need? Thanks.

No problem! At the bottom of the Mixbus system requirements page, there is an OS feature comparison chart that lists the plug-in formats:

http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus-sysreq.html

Best,

Tim