Harrison Mixbus Forum

Full Version: Anyone Doing the 2-Bus Thing in 32C?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Brand new to Mixbus 32C V4 and loving every second of it! I'm well-versed in DAW-ology from using several other brands, so coming to such a stable and intuitive DAW as 32C now is has been a dream come true. I simply can't believe how common sense and practical the features on 32C are.

Just want to know, as I set up all the mixer routings, most of which will be very similar and non-changing from Session to Session, is anybody out there doing the 2-Bus mixer setup on 32C?

2-Busing it was so wide-spread in the hardware days, and I brought it along when I switched to DAWs and digital. Part of the reason was it used to be sort of taboo to slap final processing on the Master Bus. That taboo seems just about gone nowadays.

But do tell: Is anyone doing the 2-Bus in 32C? Is it even worth doing on Mixbus? Reasons For and Against? Opinions and Experiences, please?
What do you mean exactly? Processing/plug-ins on the main bus? If so I do. I have a compressor on it, just barely gluing at bit, almost every time. I also like what the pulse-tec EQ does, just the clipper module. Sometimes I'll use slate's vmr, so that I can use vcc, or revival.
(05-12-2017, 03:07 PM)TEKTON Wrote: [ -> ]But do tell: Is anyone doing the 2-Bus in 32C? Is it even worth doing on Mixbus? Reasons For and Against? Opinions and Experiences, please?

Depends on workflow I would say. Personally I add master bus processing last, when it sounds good already. Workflow here:

Mixing in mono -> checking/mixing on Aura-(ok Behri-)tones -> adding panning -> adding master bus processing.

As the icing if you like so. That way I add it directly to the master bus. Mixbuses only route to there anyway.

MMM
The mixbus routing isn't designed for having a two bus before the master so you need to find alternative workflows for whatever you planned on using it for. I typically use mixbus 12 as a "rear bus" that gets everything except drums & bass sent to it, I heavily compress and mix in a small amount of this which helps balance the loudest element of the mix at any given point and cuts down on automation.

There is an override on the normal looped error if you route the master back to a normal stereo track, but this is a non obvious workflow with pitfalls that didn't seem worth pursuing to me. I'd recommend printing master and using it in a new project if you want to work 2 bus style. Adding parallel processing by creative use of the pin manager is another option.

Rather than trying to get a two bus setup, your probably better explaining what you want to use it for and I'm sure someone will know the best way to achieve it in v4, I'm still on v3 so not sure of the impact VCA's etc will have on my workflow.
(05-15-2017, 02:38 AM)Domino Wrote: [ -> ]The mixbus routing isn't designed for having a two bus before the master so you need to find alternative workflows for whatever you planned on using it for. I typically use mixbus 12 as a "rear bus" that gets everything except drums & bass sent to it, I heavily compress and mix in a small amount of this which helps balance the loudest element of the mix at any given point and cuts down on automation.

There is an override on the normal looped error if you route the master back to a normal stereo track, but this is a non obvious workflow with pitfalls ...

Finally, someone who understands the question (knows what 2-bus is). Yes, I noticed your above observations also when looking into the custom pin routing. Technically, you can/could rout all tracks/mixbusses to, say, only mixbus 12, call 12 the 2-bus and then send that to the Master. With a dozen possible submix busses available, I see a couple of nice ways to go. My requirement has always been to get things all, mostly, or partially summed and most processing done before the sound hits the Master channel. I guess some are new and won't have dealt with what was a problem in so many setups, but doing any processing beyond final limiting on the Master bus used to be impossible or at least difficult on DAWs of the past and a lot of hardware setups too.
(05-12-2017, 05:54 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean exactly? Processing/plug-ins on the main bus? If so I do. I have a compressor on it, just barely gluing at bit, almost every time. I also like what the pulse-tec EQ does, just the clipper module. Sometimes I'll use slate's vmr, so that I can use vcc, or revival.

I asked what exactly you meant. So you're wanting to basically use parallel processing on the main mix? I've never tried sending a buss into another buss. So if you want to use the processing you've done already via busses, that might be tricky. And probably what you're looking for. But I wouldn't be afraid of either, using plugs that have a blend control, or a plug in host that would allow you to blend in the processed sound, on the mixbus. Probably wouldn't be exactly the same still. And could make automation trickier.

Anyway if I'm still way off, let me know. Harrison's goal has been to recreate the analog workflow inside a computer. So there could be a way and I'm simply not aware.
(05-15-2017, 02:30 PM)TEKTON Wrote: [ -> ]Finally, someone who understands the question (knows what 2-bus is).

I still don't. Can you give an example of what you would do in an "ideal" environment (Routing, what Processors go where,..)?

Somtime weeks ago I asked/proposed having two parallel Master-Busses for printing a "clean" Master for further haandling and a *On-the-fly-"Mastered" Listening-Copy* at the same time. Do you mean something like this with 2-Bus?

(05-15-2017, 02:30 PM)TEKTON Wrote: [ -> ]but doing any processing beyond final limiting on the Master bus used to be impossible or at least difficult on DAWs of the past and a lot of hardware setups too.

What comes after the final Limiter, leaving Dithering aside?
I have a 2-buss system setup, via my Metric Halo ULN-2 and MIO Console (the Metric Halo mixer).

All busses are routed to/from to channels in MIO Console, which as a stereo insert on it, feeding a 2 buss compressor and my one-of-a-kind "Wooly Mammoth Deluxe III Tube Edition" colour monster from Mammoth Cave Audio.

If anyone is interest in knowing more about my Wooly Mammoth Deluxe III Tube Edition, I can share more details and pics.
I get what you are saying about the 2 buss. I always used a 2 buss when using either pro tools or reaper for mixing, mainly for easy reference mixes for a client to use to get an idea what the mastered product would sound like. That was easier than making a lot of small changes to the 2 buss mix when I do something like compress the bottom end a little more or maybe put a little more 4 k on it or something like that. Always seemed quicker and easier for me to do it from the master buss. Havnt done it with mixbus 32c yet though as im still finding my way around but using the 12 buss should be easy enough.