Harrison Mixbus Forum

Full Version: Master limiter makes recorded audio out of sync?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was trying to figure out why everything I recorded was consistently late, so I eventually ran a cable from an output back to an input on my soundcard and recorded some clicks that way.

I have JACK dialed in so that this provides sample perfect sync on Ardour3 or Ardour2 or probably any other JACK client. Except Mixbus.

I'm getting the new material showing up about 6ms late compared to the playback. Every time.

It appears to be the limiter on the master bus that is the culprit, turning it off solves the problem.

It should be clear in some documentation, somewhere, that you can't be overdubbing with the master bus limiter engaged. A session should probably open with it bypassed if this behavior can't be fixed. Just having everything record out of sync until someone does the detective work on their own is lame.
(07-03-2016, 08:04 AM)thumbknuckle Wrote: [ -> ]I was trying to figure out why everything I recorded was consistently late, so I eventually ran a cable from an output back to an input on my soundcard and recorded some clicks that way.

I have JACK dialed in so that this provides sample perfect sync on Ardour3 or Ardour2 or probably any other JACK client. Except Mixbus.

I'm getting the new material showing up about 6ms late compared to the playback. Every time.

It appears to be the limiter on the master bus that is the culprit, turning it off solves the problem.

It should be clear in some documentation, somewhere, that you can't be overdubbing with the master bus limiter engaged. A session should probably open with it bypassed if this behavior can't be fixed. Just having everything record out of sync until someone does the detective work on their own is lame.

Good observation

The limiter has a 6 mS read ahead

so unless you can time travel : everything is delayed 6 mS

Switch the limiter off

In my mind one could switch between look ahead or not before ..

Indeed needs some attention !!

regards
(07-03-2016, 08:04 AM)thumbknuckle Wrote: [ -> ]It should be clear in some documentation, somewhere, that you can't be overdubbing with the master bus limiter engaged.

Or just program MB so that every time you hit Record, the master bus limiter is disengaged.
(07-03-2016, 03:03 PM)retro Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2016, 08:04 AM)thumbknuckle Wrote: [ -> ]It should be clear in some documentation, somewhere, that you can't be overdubbing with the master bus limiter engaged.

Or just program MB so that every time you hit Record, the master bus limiter is disengaged.

Or apply compensation to the newly captured audio, writing it earlier in the timeline so it syncs up with the playback it was recorded to.
Okay, can someone from Harrison confirm that this thing is actually broken and there is not anything I should be doing that would solve the problem?
That's in the manual :

Quote:In addition to the channelstrip compressor, the master bus provides a final limiter. This is a look ahead brickwall limiter set at -1dB, and it protects your final mix from exceeding full-scale digital. The “lookahead” feature is a delay that reduces the distortion it applies your mix, at the cost of some latency. See Mastering Techniques for more details on how (and when) to use this limiter.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...techniques

And it was already explained a few times on this forum by Ben.
(07-07-2016, 08:34 AM)thumbknuckle Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, can someone from Harrison confirm that this thing is actually broken and there is not anything I should be doing that would solve the problem?

Maybe you can read the manual and read the comments in this thread??

I can understand that you did not find the previous discussion about the phenomenon.

But i wonder if you looked..

regards

(07-07-2016, 09:47 AM)Bakhano Wrote: [ -> ]Oftentimes, total silence is the confirmation your problem does not have a current solution

Bakhano

i do not appreciate this insinuation

For one thing it is totally unfounded. There is not a problem, and the side effect cen be dealt with. Simple.

regards
How on earth do you consider the program failing to record audio in sync with the playback to not be a problem? Of course that's a problem. That's fundamentally broken.
(07-07-2016, 03:16 PM)thumbknuckle Wrote: [ -> ]How on earth do you consider the program failing to record audio in sync with the playback to not be a problem? Of course that's a problem. That's fundamentally broken.

wise men always put an element of doubt in their reasoning
Am i right ?

the others stick to their statement

Take a deep breath
reread this thread

regards
Are you actually a representative of Harrison? It just says 'Senior Member'. I don't know what that means.

I've read the thread. It looks to me like someone added a lookahead limiter without bothering to compensate for the induced latency with respect to sync of newly recorded audio. Am I wrong about that?

Are you saying that this is the intended behavior? Really?
Pages: 1 2