Harrison Mixbus Forum

Full Version: Can Mixbus 3 do surround?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just wondering because I want to do a music video and I suppose surround sound would be great. I think ardour 4 does surround. I tried mixing in 4 channel once and it blew my mind. Really awesome stuff!
(01-01-2016, 11:37 AM)epsummer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just wondering because I want to do a music video and I suppose surround sound would be great. I think ardour 4 does surround. I tried mixing in 4 channel once and it blew my mind. Really awesome stuff!
Not as such, but I have done a 5.1 mix by using direct out of the mix buses to give me L C R Ls Rs LFE. It's a bit limited, but does work.
Multi-channel is on the plans for future releases.
(01-01-2016, 03:11 PM)Dingo Wrote: [ -> ]Not as such, but I have done a 5.1 mix by using direct out of the mix buses to give me L C R Ls Rs LFE. It's a bit limited, but does work.

How did you do the panning?
I used Ardour in a project and the Ambisonic plugins for panning. A bit fiddly at first but then not too bad. Not sure if that works in Mixbus as I used a 6 channel master bus iirc.

MMM
(01-01-2016, 05:11 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2016, 03:11 PM)Dingo Wrote: [ -> ]Not as such, but I have done a 5.1 mix by using direct out of the mix buses to give me L C R Ls Rs LFE. It's a bit limited, but does work.

How did you do the panning?
I used Ardour in a project and the Ambisonic plugins for panning. A bit fiddly at first but then not too bad. Not sure if that works in Mixbus as I used a 6 channel master bus iirc.

MMM
Using the Mixbus sends to determine LCR blend.
Mostly for classical music with Decca Tree assigned LCR and room mics Ls Rs.
Then spot mics are positioned using MX sends 1-5 with MX 6 used as LFE.
Ah ok. I thought of a movie with moving objects/cameras.
(01-01-2016, 11:14 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: [ -> ]How did you do the panning?
Ah ok. I thought of a movie with moving objects/cameras.

I've done 7.1 sound for two shorts using Mixbus. I found that mostly panning works quite simple as a pan/send combination. epsummer seems to use one Mixbus for each surround channel. I use one Mixbus for LR, one for center (compensated for stereo>mono conversion), one for LsRs and one for LbRb - if you need it, one more Mixbus goes for the LFE, but I prefer to use them for delay and reverbs. That makes the panning for most stuff as simple as turning the pan knob. Especially all on screen sounds work almost like in a stereo mix with the additional extra send for the center. The classical coming from behind space ship is done by tweaking the three involved sends and a fixed pan until it appears on screen. The only thing that would be hard is a diagonal flyover, but that's hard in 7.1 anyway.

All in all I found it in most cases simpler than dealing with a dedicated surround panner. For instance the most common task of assigning thinks to center only is a simple click, same for LR or adding a bit of space dealing in the surround speakers. The only thing that is more cumbersome is automating fly-ins (and dealing with library 5.1 sounds, which I rarely do)

The Master works quite well for stereo mixdown.

Johannes
Thanks Johannes. Surround is future for me and in that future Mixbus might have the capability - and the surround panning should be perfect as it comes from Harrison Wink
(01-03-2016, 06:01 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: [ -> ]and the surround panning should be perfect as it comes from Harrison Wink

Yes. And they probably know what it is worth ... hope I can afford it.

Johannes
(01-03-2016, 07:08 AM)Johannes Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2016, 06:01 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: [ -> ]and the surround panning should be perfect as it comes from Harrison Wink

Yes. And they probably know what it is worth ... hope I can afford it.

Johannes

I'm sure it will be much much more affordable than a ProTools HD rig...
MMM