Harrison Mixbus Forum

Full Version: Pro Studios DAW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know whether this is a "smart" question or not, but I have been watching a lot of videos on pro studios, both mixing desks and in-the-box. The majority of them appear to use ProTools.

Is Mixbus making headway in that market, compared to just home studios? And, since I don't know hardly anyone on this forum, are any of you running pro studios and using Mixbus as your primary DAW?

Thanks for your help!

Darrel
(11-23-2015, 08:22 PM)darrel_jw Wrote: [ -> ]Is Mixbus making headway in that market, compared to just home studios? And, since I don't know hardly anyone on this forum, are any of you running pro studios and using Mixbus as your primary DAW?

To deliver a professional result is entirely up the the person who's using the DAW, Mixbus deliver what you do without any problem. My impression is that ProTools is the de facto standard in a lot of environments, especially in the US, I have delivered a few mixes the last years and in Nashville, they often demand and at least expect you to do the stuff in PT. That said, I have used Mixbus exclusivity since 2011 on Linux and no one have complained when I have delivered the mixes as wave files.

In Europe, Logic is also often in use from the beginning to the end of substantial projects - at least here in Sweden. That's because Logic with it's many samples, plugins and workflow is a very good creative tool as well as a DAW. It's more difficult to work with "Logic people", because a lot of them tends to have 50-80 tracks with samples, loops, MIDI and recorded stuff. I often have to ask them to export (and not send me the trash) to wav and then send it to me for mixing. Sometimes, a snare is build upon a handful samples and then I have to deal with that too. That can sound as many Logic users are amateurs, but the fact is that loads of loads of hits in Europe are done with Logic. PT folks tend to deliver tracks completely ready for mixing. Mixbus are not a big act in the studios yet, bit it's gaining more and more respect, so I guess it's a matter of time.

So in my experience: Some demands PT and others prefer mostly Logic, the hassle about moving to and from Mixbus is the biggest challenge, but everyone are mostly happy when they hear the result and do not think about how it was made. After all, Mixbus have the console style build in, and PT and Logic users very often are using plugins in order to get similar results anyway, but they can never have the same effective workflow.

As a curiosity, I mixed the song "Don't Give In" for the US based band Fresh Anointing, it' on their latest album. You will find a excerpt of the song on iTunes and a excerpt of how it sounded from me before mastering on the following two links, the sound is very different on this two links:

https://itunes.apple.com/dk/album/hope/id1030517930

https://soundcloud.com/jcamusic/fresh-an...pre-master

Personally, I mix for my own projects, but do mix for others as well on irregular bases. So work wise: you might call me a semi professional mixer.
(11-24-2015, 03:13 AM)Jostein Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-23-2015, 08:22 PM)darrel_jw Wrote: [ -> ]Is Mixbus making headway in that market, compared to just home studios? And, since I don't know hardly anyone on this forum, are any of you running pro studios and using Mixbus as your primary DAW?

To deliver a professional result is entirely up the the person who's using the DAW, Mixbus deliver what you do without any problem. My impression is that ProTools is the de facto standard in a lot of environments, especially in the US, I have delivered a few mixes the last years and in Nashville, they often demand and at least expect you to do the stuff in PT. That said, I have used Mixbus exclusivity since 2011 on Linux and no one have complained when I have delivered the mixes as wave files.

In Europe, Logic is also often in use from the beginning to the end of substantial projects - at least here in Sweden. That's because Logic with it's many samples, plugins and workflow is a very good creative tool as well as a DAW. It's more difficult to work with "Logic people", because a lot of them tends to have 50-80 tracks with samples, loops, MIDI and recorded stuff. I often have to ask them to export (and not send me the trash) to wav and then send it to me for mixing. Sometimes, a snare is build upon a handful samples and then I have to deal with that too. That can sound as many Logic users are amateurs, but the fact is that loads of loads of hits in Europe are done with Logic. PT folks tend to deliver tracks completely ready for mixing. Mixbus are not a big act in the studios yet, bit it's gaining more and more respect, so I guess it's a matter of time.

So in my experience: Some demands PT and others prefer mostly Logic, the hassle about moving to and from Mixbus is the biggest challenge, but everyone are mostly happy when they hear the result and do not think about how it was made. After all, Mixbus have the console style build in, and PT and Logic users very often are using plugins in order to get similar results anyway, but they can never have the same effective workflow.

As a curiosity, I mixed the song "Don't Give In" for the US based band Fresh Anointing, it' on their latest album. You will find a excerpt of the song on iTunes and a excerpt of how it sounded from me before mastering on the following two links, the sound is very different on this two links:

https://itunes.apple.com/dk/album/hope/id1030517930

https://soundcloud.com/jcamusic/fresh-an...pre-master

Personally, I mix for my own projects, but do mix for others as well on irregular bases. So work wise: you might call me a semi professional mixer.

Jostein, thanks for responding. I get curious about things, so I ask questions. I am a rank beginner in music mixing/recording. I like working and learning with Mixbus, and plan on continuing this journey. I just get curious when watching the videos on professional mixing studios. Again, thanks!
Pro tools became king due to their DSP cards. That made it possible to do real time processing on computers that didn't have the cpu power to do so. And still are trying to hold on to an advantage with latency. You can run your plug-ins while recording at a super low latency with an HD system. Even on the record enabled tracks.

But time is catching up. Things like UAD's Apollo series, Metric Halo's MIO console, and more, are proving you don't have to have their DSP pcie cards.

However studios that have invested 10's, if not 100's, of thousands of dollars on gear, aren't going to just abandon it. So it will still be prevalent for a while. But I think the paradigm will shift. Especially at the rate they are going with adding in the promised new features to v12. Yes I also own pro tools. But I have hardly used it in the past year or so.

Thanks for that Harrison. Smile