Harrison Mixbus Forum

Full Version: My first mix in MB3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This song is an original by me, and was originally recorded many years ago on a 4 track reel machine at 15ips. Stereo from 4 track mixes were then dumped to a betamax hi-fi, then back while adding more tracks. Several years ago, a friend and I pulled those original 4 tracks into digital. The past 3 weeks, I have been re-mixing it in MB3. It was painstakingly cut up into small pieces and timed to a click track. The only thing remaining that was original are the vocals and lead acoustic guitar. Everything else was re-done from scratch.

I don't do music professionally, so please be easy on me. Smile I hope you like it.

https://soundcloud.com/amesines/christma...kim-thorne
(10-19-2015, 12:08 AM)Lexridge Wrote: [ -> ]I don't do music professionally, so please be easy on me. Smile I hope you like it.
https://soundcloud.com/amesines/christma...kim-thorne

Cool, you're early with the Christmas song Smile
Sounds good. Nice sound canvas. Umm that plucked acoustic in the background peeks out a bit sometimes in the verses while the solo / filling parts could be louder - my taste, what do others say?

MMM
lovey song I enjoyed listening to it. I also don't repeat what madmaxmiller said just in addition I could have duplicated the rim and reverse it and add a reverb on the reverse rim to give it a character.. @Lexridge I wonder if you were joking when you say I don't do it professionally, Since the music the production the mixing sound professional to me. everything lovely
Nice song ,sounds great !
Great mix and production, nice reuniun song hope your doing some 2015 productions love to see what stuff your doing to date , keep it up
(10-19-2015, 12:08 AM)Lexridge Wrote: [ -> ]I don't do music professionally, so please be easy on me. Smile I hope you like it.

I don't have to be easy on you - it's lovely. The bass is a bit present for a tune like this maybe. Down a dB?

Did you do the whole mix in MB, or did you trot in some 3rd party plugins?
(10-19-2015, 03:41 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: [ -> ]Cool, you're early with the Christmas song Smile

Better early than late Wink

BHBstudio Wrote:lovey song I enjoyed listening to it. I also don't repeat what madmaxmiller said just in addition I could have duplicated the rim and reverse it and add a reverb on the reverse rim to give it a character.. @Lexridge I wonder if you were joking when you say I don't do it professionally, Since the music the production the mixing sound professional to me. everything lovely

Thank you! Interesting thought on the reverse rim shot. I will experiment with that. Something I have not done before.

I really am not a music industry professional. I am a broadcast television engineer (which is mostly all I.T. these days), but I have been recording my own music for many years, having started when I was just 15 on a Sharp cassette deck that allowed for independent L/R track recording.

novaburst Wrote:Great mix and production, nice reuniun song hope your doing some 2015 productions love to see what stuff your doing to date , keep it up

I am indeed. I have four other songs I am presently working on. All new. Thank you for your encouragement!

retro Wrote:I don't have to be easy on you - it's lovely. The bass is a bit present for a tune like this maybe. Down a dB?

Did you do the whole mix in MB, or did you trot in some 3rd party plugins?

I really need a room treatment. At the moment, I am doing all my mixes in my garage with near field Polk monitors. Yea, I know. I really need better monitors.

I did the entire mix in MB3. The echo is not a plugin at all. I just copied the "christmas time" vocal over and over and did an artificial delay like that. The reverb is the Harrison built-in GVerb+. No other effects are used.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to listen to it and for your comments and suggestions. I really appreciate it.