Harrison Mixbus Forum

Full Version: How Bout Some Love For That Tonewheel Organ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is it just me, or does it not sound really great!!! First notes I hit on the thing made me smile.....

Just downloaded MB3 and writing a track with it (I've never used it for recording before, just mixing) and loving it so far....
(08-01-2015, 10:55 PM)Suds Wrote: [ -> ]is it just me, or does it not sound really great!!! First notes I hit on the thing made me smile.....

Just downloaded MB3 and writing a track with it (I've never used it for recording before, just mixing) and loving it so far....

Yes I enjoyed it very much. Also his Don Leslie / Hammond B rotating speaker is really very good, it's truly accurate.
I smiled more when hitting the "?" button and seeing all the fabulous wiring mess in the rear!

Big Grin

But yes, it sounds absolutely wonderful!
(08-03-2015, 01:11 AM)joegiampaoli Wrote: [ -> ]I smiled more when hitting the "?" button and seeing all the fabulous wiring mess in the rear!

Big Grin

But yes, it sounds absolutely wonderful!
The tangle reminds me of the 80's and hundreds of cords hanging out of the patch bay looking like a gordian knot. Every one a potential dodgy connection.
That's why I love routers. My first experience was on a Series Ten with a 256 by 256 crosspoint router. Magic on a touch screen. Secure repeatable patching and it only cost about 60K (for the router not the rest).
Now (thanks Harrison + the team) we have the same (albeit a smaller scale) with The Audio Connections Manager for a fraction of the cost.
Gotta love advancing technology.
(08-03-2015, 01:11 AM)joegiampaoli Wrote: [ -> ]I smiled more when hitting the "?"

That's one part that need clarification in the GUI. The "?" button brings up a help-screen.
The area left of it opens the advanced config screen (backside of the organ).

(08-03-2015, 01:11 AM)joegiampaoli Wrote: [ -> ]button and seeing all the fabulous wiring mess in the rear!

Big Grin

glad you like the gimmick Smile FWIW, the largest mess of wires in the original B3 are for the presets only.

(08-03-2015, 01:11 AM)joegiampaoli Wrote: [ -> ]But yes, it sounds absolutely wonderful!

Large part of the deal here is a complete physical model of the organ and that does include tangled wires. There are four types of crosstalks in the model: between tonewheels in the same compartment (rogue signal pickup), x-talk between the transformers, x-talk between connections on the same terminal-strip and final distribution wires. It's subtle, but it does not sound the same without it.

The weakest link currently is the tube distortion. That's really hard to get right and still work in progress. Then again, you can also just use a 3rd party tube/preamp plugin.