Harrison Mixbus Forum

Full Version: Jack updates or new version coming with MB3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all! Just curious.......

Is there any word or thoughts around a new and improved Jack hub for use with Mixbus by chance? It is a deep and complicated device already (far beyond my simple use, needs and understanding) but its also not the easiest thing in the world to figure out if you are not educated or experienced in all the fine details of such things. Luckily for me I have had help here in Forum to somewhat make things work (thanks Frank), but honestly I forgot how I did the first time Wink

I'd like to see and easier to use (or figure out) Jack interface gui when you want to marry a second daw to Mixbus, swap tracks from one input to another with possible multiple interfaces, etc.

Maybe its just me, and because I'm new it will take time to figure out better. Then again, thats my point. It would be great if it was easier to figure out even if you were new........

Thoughts?
Tia

Btw... I have Jackpilot and qjackctl on my imac running Yosemite before anyone asks Smile
Not really sure why both or how different......
(05-15-2015, 11:55 AM)Greg Rband Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to see and easier to use (or figure out) Jack interface gui when you want to marry a second daw to Mixbus, swap tracks from one input to another with possible multiple interfaces, etc.

I think that's rather an issue with 3rd party developers... are there any and are they willing to undertake this? JACK itself is just JACK and can be completely controlled from a command line. The surface is left to 3rd party. That could as well be Harrison, but I have heard rumours they are currently busy with a new version of Mixbus...

Multiple devices however are an issue of the operating systems' sound architecture.

OSX has the "aggregate device".
I myself wrote a script for ALSA (Linux) which finds all M-Audio cards in the system and ties them together and I put a nice surface to it which lets you chose which and how many cards to use, sample rate, buffers etc and starts JACK and qjackctl when done.
Under Windows ASIO4ALL aggregates sound devices.

And this aggregate is what has to be presented to JACK, which uses then all presented I/O.

HTH
MMM
Wow, your custom setup sounds great madmaxmiller! How cool is that to have all devices linked and a gui to show that....
Yep, I know Harrison is busy with Mixbus 3 and I'm totally ok with that! Wink I very much look fwd to see what comes out with it, its so cool already! Sure it will be more on the editing side than the console side, but could be wrong, who knows.
As for the Jack, I didn't know the surface of Jack was all 3rd party. I thought it was all by same developer, whoever that is.
Dont get me wrong, I like it, ability to use it for anything I want (not locked down to one program use), but I find it a little harder to use than it could be for me personally.
I do know that most (if not all) of that is me not being savy or versed in all that background stuff, so its easy for me to get confused if something doesn't just "show up" as avail to Patch. It works for me sometimes, and others not, and I am new enough to not know why! LoL
I do experiment with various daws too, so I'm always changing things around.....
As for the Aggregate Device, being on OSX i guess i need to learn more about that, what it is, how it works, and how to do in Yosemite.
I do also have a Win 7 laptop with Mixbus and Jack installed, but I havent used it more than installing and checking it out once there yet......
Thanks for info!
(05-16-2015, 12:56 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-15-2015, 11:55 AM)Greg Rband Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to see and easier to use (or figure out) Jack interface gui when you want to marry a second daw to Mixbus, swap tracks from one input to another with possible multiple interfaces, etc.

I think that's rather an issue with 3rd party developers... are there any and are they willing to undertake this? JACK itself is just JACK and can be completely controlled from a command line. The surface is left to 3rd party. That could as well be Harrison, but I have heard rumours they are currently busy with a new version of Mixbus...

Multiple devices however are an issue of the operating systems' sound architecture.

OSX has the "aggregate device".
I myself wrote a script for ALSA (Linux) which finds all M-Audio cards in the system and ties them together and I put a nice surface to it which lets you chose which and how many cards to use, sample rate, buffers etc and starts JACK and qjackctl when done.
Under Windows ASIO4ALL aggregates sound devices.

And this aggregate is what has to be presented to JACK, which uses then all presented I/O.

HTH
MMM

I appreciate you sharing this information. Will ASIOALL allow syncing of other DAWs with Mixbus? If so, is there a reference instruction to do this? FYI, I had posted a question about syncing as a separate topic in the forum. I am a newbe to using a forum, please excuse me if this is off-topic. Thanks
No Worries John4Jazz, if one thread can help another I see no issues with that. This sounds like the Protools integration Harrison tutorial you mentioned in the other thread. Maybe this post was clocked in before you figured that out......... Curious to see if you figure out how to manage the midi as you wanted there, with Jack and Mixbus standard features.....
(05-16-2015, 12:02 PM)John4Jazz Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate you sharing this information. Will ASIOALL allow syncing of other DAWs with Mixbus? If so, is there a reference instruction to do this?

ASIO will not control MIDI...
The theory is: You have, say, Mixbus as MIDI master and another Application as MIDI slave for MMC (midi machine control). That lets you start/stop the slave together with the master. The other application, which could be a sequencer or another DAW, routes its audio via JACK through Mixbus.
The praxis is: It works perfectly under Linux, with Rosegarden or Hydrogen or both as sequencers. I never tried it under Windows (why would I haha)... Windows is somewhat restricted (retarded? lol)

Cheers,
MMM

Btw... I have Jackpilot and qjackctl on my imac running Yosemite before anyone asks Smile
Not really sure why both or how different......

Check out Carla

The patchbay in Carla shows all connections. and one can easily alter, by just pulling te cables.

[Image: carla-patchbay.png]

There is a Mac version

Kind regards

Frank
(05-17-2015, 01:32 AM)Frank Wrote: [ -> ]Check out Carla ….There is a Mac version

Kind regards

Frank

Thanks Frank, very interesting application. Great tip
(05-17-2015, 03:07 AM)Dingo Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2015, 01:32 AM)Frank Wrote: [ -> ]Check out Carla ….There is a Mac version

Kind regards

Frank

Thanks Frank, very interesting application. Great tip

Appreciated

attached is my setting of last night
To get an Idea with Mixbus=Ardour

frank
(05-16-2015, 08:45 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2015, 12:02 PM)John4Jazz Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate you sharing this information. Will ASIOALL allow syncing of other DAWs with Mixbus? If so, is there a reference instruction to do this?

ASIO will not control MIDI...
The theory is: You have, say, Mixbus as MIDI master and another Application as MIDI slave for MMC (midi machine control). That lets you start/stop the slave together with the master. The other application, which could be a sequencer or another DAW, routes its audio via JACK through Mixbus.
The praxis is: It works perfectly under Linux, with Rosegarden or Hydrogen or both as sequencers. I never tried it under Windows (why would I haha)... Windows is somewhat restricted (retarded? lol)

Cheers,
MMM

Thanks for your help, your info is what I needed. I also found the video on how to setup Mixbus as midi master, which will allow me to incorporate midi into my sessions for drums and piano.

RE Linux (Mint), this is my preference. I don't like Windows either. I have a MOTU 2408 II with a lightpipe 8-in pre-amp (16 in/8 out), haven't been able to find a Linux driver. What outboard hardware do you recommend to get fully on to Linux? I am a novice shell programmer and do not have strong Linux support resources to draw upon.

I guess the other issue, I like the Ezdrummer user interface for finding/auditioning patterns. But I would migrate to Hyrdogen and Linux, just need a midi to 2hpattern converter to work (like Dominodesigns?). Suggestions? I'm not a big drum machine guy, I play jazz mostly. It's been a hassle to get a drummer into my studio for sessions.

Sorry to bother you but you are very knowledgeable. FYI, I am an old fart as well.
Pages: 1 2