Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
solved: mixbus crashing when scanning for plugin
I'm pretty sure i fudged this up. I was running out of space so i deleted some folders, one of which was a plugin folder and now mixbus crashes on the plugin scan, i restored the folder but to no avail. it wont even let me cancel the or stop the scan, the buttons are greyed out...

Is there a way to fix this?
How can i start mixbus without a plugin scan?

I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.04.1

Thank You,

Mark of the Wild
Lenovo Laptop i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz 6G ram
Ubuntu Studio 20.04.1
KXStudio
Behringer XAir XR18
Keystation 49
CTS (IEC) ISO/IEC 17024:2012
From memory... holding down the Command key whilst loading Mixbus should boot without scanning for plugins.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(09-16-2020, 07:34 PM)Dingo Wrote: From memory... holding down the Command key whilst loading Mixbus should boot without scanning for plugins.

ok, i give up....where is the "command" key in linux?
(09-16-2020, 08:07 PM)markofthewild Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 07:34 PM)Dingo Wrote: From memory... holding down the Command key whilst loading Mixbus should boot without scanning for plugins.

ok, i give up....where is the "command" key in linux?

It is the Ctrl key (unless stolen by the DE) anyway I think that this option is the equivalent to 'mixbus -d ' which still scans the plugins before "disabling" them, so in case the crash is inborn the scanning that'll not be the cure, though you still can have a try at it Blush
(and maybe aloso try the option " -B " which would "bypass" all plugins)
Mixbus/32C 5.3.22, 6.2.407 and 7.1.92 on Manjaro midtower i5-6600K 3.5GHz and Manjaro or LibraZik3 on Lenovo X250 i5
Mixbus 5.3.22 and 6.2.407 on Win10x64/Lenovo T40 i7 and X250 i5
audiocards: Scarlett 2i4, Tascam US4x4HR
Crashes during plugin search mostly appear due to trial versions or "free vst" plugins.
iMac 5K Retina, i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB Flash, Catalina; Harrison Mixbus 32Cv6; Nuendo 10; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; Qcon Pro G2; Genelec 8020A & 7040APM
Ok,

Using the ctl key does nothing, using the alt key works but still crashes.

Using -d i was able to get in. I went to the plugin preferences and tried to clear the cache but it crashed and the same when trying to clear the blacklist.

When unchecking the scan for new plugins on start box its still scans and crashes.

I uninstalled mixbus using the uninstall script in the OPT directory, rebooted and reinstalled but to not avail. retried all the above and it still crashes.

While I do use some "free" plugins everything was working flawlessly! Until I deleted and restored a plugin directory. I'm not sure how, why or even if this is the issue but it would seems this is root cause as everything was working before this.

So the only thing I can think of would be a total reformat and OS install. Which also now means I might as well get that workstation I have been looking at! So there is a silver lining here!

I can use Ardour until then although i really don't want to, I really like mixbus.

Until then I happily entertain anymore ideas on this issue,

Thanks!
(09-17-2020, 05:02 PM)markofthewild Wrote: Until I deleted and restored a plugin directory. I'm not sure how, why or even if this is the issue but it would seems this is root cause as everything was working before this.

Stupid question: have you checked the rights on this directory and compared to the others?
More things to try: when you have started MB with ALT - are you able to go into the plugin prefs and delete the directory in question from the plugin path? If that helped, you could then re-add it and see what happens.
Also worth a try: rename your ~/.config/mixbus6 directory and start Mixbus "fresh".

HTH
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(09-17-2020, 05:02 PM)markofthewild Wrote: Ok,

Using the ctl key does nothing, using the alt key works but still crashes.

Using -d i was able to get in. I went to the plugin preferences and tried to clear the cache but it crashed and the same when trying to clear the blacklist.

When unchecking the scan for new plugins on start box its still scans and crashes.

I uninstalled mixbus using the uninstall script in the OPT directory, rebooted and reinstalled but to not avail. retried all the above and it still crashes.

While I do use some "free" plugins everything was working flawlessly! Until I deleted and restored a plugin directory. I'm not sure how, why or even if this is the issue but it would seems this is root cause as everything was working before this.

So the only thing I can think of would be a total reformat and OS install. Which also now means I might as well get that workstation I have been looking at! So there is a silver lining here!

I can use Ardour until then although i really don't want to, I really like mixbus.

Until then I happily entertain anymore ideas on this issue,

Thanks!

OK, then the idea would be there's a glitch in some VST plugin you reinstated, so maybe for a new entertainment you can check if it's alive and well or if you can make it tell you its turmoil, example:
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Mixbus-6.1.22/lib /opt/Mixbus-6.1.22/lib/ardour-vst-scanner -f  /usr/lib/vst/drowaudio-flanger.so
corrupted size vs. prev_size while consolidating
Aborted (core dumped)

also, first try to see if it is listed in the blacklist (and leanse if it's the case):
Code:
cat ~/.cache/mixbus6/vst64_blacklist.txt

It won't do any magic but might well give a hint about wtf Wink
Mixbus/32C 5.3.22, 6.2.407 and 7.1.92 on Manjaro midtower i5-6600K 3.5GHz and Manjaro or LibraZik3 on Lenovo X250 i5
ok, When I cat the blacklist file it show that most of the plugins were blacklisted, mostly 32bit it seems however quite few of 64bit one as well. but it also appears that they are mostly LV2 plugins.

The other code didn't work as there is not a ardour executable in that directory or anywhere that i could see.
(09-19-2020, 12:04 PM)markofthewild Wrote: ok, When I cat the blacklist file it show that most of the plugins were blacklisted, mostly 32bit it seems however quite few of 64bit one as well. but it also appears that they are mostly LV2 plugins.

Ok, these are probably some, like e-g the LSP-plugins, which are packaged simultaneously as LV2 and VST in most distros.

(09-19-2020, 12:04 PM)markofthewild Wrote: The other code didn't work as there is not a ardour executable in that directory or anywhere that i could see.

This on the other hand is quite a bad symptom if actually true!
There must have been either a glitch in your checking or a wuss in the install Confused
Try to find these, e-g for my local 32C V6 but you have to find where your own MB install lies:
Code:
ls -1 /opt/Mixbus32C-6.1.22/lib/ardour-*
/opt/Mixbus32C-6.1.22/lib/ardour-exec-wrapper
/opt/Mixbus32C-6.1.22/lib/ardour-request-device
/opt/Mixbus32C-6.1.22/lib/ardour-util.sh
/opt/Mixbus32C-6.1.22/lib/ardour-vst-scanner

(and FWIW these always'been these "ardour executables" there:
Code:
ls -1 /opt/Mixbus*/lib/ardour-* | wc -l