Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple midi controller?
Hello, I am after some advise before spending out on a midi controller.

I have Mixbus on Ubuntu using Alsa sequencer. I plug my very basic midi controller into USB and then connect to a track in the "Midi connections" window and record. I am using the Calf Monosynth. Once the midi notes are recorded I will then bring up appropriate automation on the track and "write" data by moving the Monosynth interface with the mouse.

I am considering buying a midi controller with a wheel and maybe some knobs. I hope for two things:
1) Real time pitch bend using midi controller wheel as I record a midi track
2) Real time changing of other Monosynths parameters using controller knobs as I record a midi track

Excuse the novice question but is this possible with my set up? I assume there is a need to connect a controller knob to a Monosynth parameter. Is this easily* done?

Is there anything that makes one midi controller easier to configure than another, or can I just go for any cheap controller with a wheel and knobs?

All advise appreciated. Thanks, Phil

*by "easily" I mean without additional software that sends me down a Linux music hole. Like Jack. I spent too long failing to get Jack working. Sorry, I'm just an idle and casual user who is enjoying making some simple synth music!
Hello phil,

controlling your synth should be easily possible with any MIDI controller. See the Manual for setting up the controller. Usually, USB-MIDI-devices should be automatically regognized (at least in my limited experience).

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...l-surfaces

Right Click on the plugin in the mixer strip, select "Edit with generic controls". Hold Control and Middle-click on the parameter you want to control. A message "Operate Controller Now" should appear. Turn the knob you want to associate with that parameter. That's it!
Usually doing live sound …
Great, thanks very much loderunner.