Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.deb to optimize Linux Mint (Debian) for Audio Pro
(07-14-2020, 12:31 AM)sunrat Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 06:23 PM)basstrombone Wrote: 4- The script checks if there is a low latency kernel installed. If it does, it alters the /boot/config-`uname -r` in order to ad the RT mode. This is achieved by modifying the following parameters:

CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
If no low latency kernel has not been located, the script proceeds with its installation.
I'm no expert, but doesn't the kernel need to be recompiled after you change its config?

The rest of the scripts are basically what I do to set up an audio workstation, using Debian Buster atm.

As far as I know, no.

I use to do do that too, but our goal is to help music schools in Brazil and wherever they can't afford private software but have machines good enough to make a music lab which is quite rare here in Brazil

Good morning everyone,

Here is the link for the .deb that João kindly calls "music-daw"

Please take a look at it try and let us know ok

It works for Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Debian based distros.

https://github.com/joao4linux/music-daw

(07-05-2020, 08:31 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:19 PM)basstrombone Wrote: If someone gets interested on it João Will make a place to download and I'll put instructional video installation for those (like me some years ago) who are not very familiar with using bash commands

That sounds great, Alexandro. Since I have a computer business I have enough machines and a number of Debian and Debian based distros to try it out on - I would like to test it here.
Kind regards,
Max

Here it is and sorry for the delay!

(07-06-2020, 05:57 AM)Frank Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:19 PM)basstrombone Wrote: Hi everyone,

Let me know if you want to try it out ok?

If someone gets interested on it João Will make a place to download and I'll put instructional video installation for those (like me some years ago) who are not very familiar with using bash commands

Great Hug from Brazil
Alexandre Magno
Trombone Professor at Federal University of Paraiba-BR
Lovely initiative !!

May i suggest mega.nz as a place to download ! It is free of charge, has a lot of facilities and never has let me down the last 5 years. Full privacy, no adds. easy to understand : even for musicians.

Regards

Frank

I have a love hate relationship with the basstrombone. Was sitting behind me (Lead soprano/tenor sax) in a big band : years ago. A threatening slide over my shoulders on small stages, and a continious FFF in my ear. we found a solution: swapped places.

Hi and here it is!!

Sorry for the delay and I'll post it on Linux Musicians later on the day gotta teach bass trombone now hahahah

(07-20-2020, 07:19 AM)basstrombone Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 06:23 PM)basstrombone Wrote: 4- The script checks if there is a low latency kernel installed. If it does, it alters the /boot/config-`uname -r` in order to ad the RT mode. This is achieved by modifying the following parameters:

CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
If no low latency kernel has not been located, the script proceeds with its installation.
I'm no expert, but doesn't the kernel need to be recompiled after you change its config?

As far as I know, no.

Yes, you have to recompile it. The config file consists of the settings used for compiling the kernel.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(07-05-2020, 08:31 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:19 PM)basstrombone Wrote: If someone gets interested on it João Will make a place to download and I'll put instructional video installation for those (like me some years ago) who are not very familiar with using bash commands

That sounds great, Alexandro. Since I have a computer business I have enough machines and a number of Debian and Debian based distros to try it out on - I would like to test it here.
Kind regards,
Max

Here it is

(07-20-2020, 08:25 AM)Jostein Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 07:19 AM)basstrombone Wrote:

CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

As far as I know, no.

Yes, you have to recompile it. The config file consists of the settings used for compiling the kernel.

(07-06-2020, 05:57 AM)Frank Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:19 PM)basstrombone Wrote: Hi everyone,

Let me know if you want to try it out ok?

If someone gets interested on it João Will make a place to download and I'll put instructional video installation for those (like me some years ago) who are not very familiar with using bash commands

Great Hug from Brazil
Alexandre Magno
Trombone Professor at Federal University of Paraiba-BR
Lovely initiative !!

May i suggest mega.nz as a place to download ! It is free of charge, has a lot of facilities and never has let me down the last 5 years. Full privacy, no adds. easy to understand : even for musicians.

Regards

Frank

I have a love hate relationship with the basstrombone. Was sitting behind me (Lead soprano/tenor sax) in a big band : years ago. A threatening slide over my shoulders on small stages, and a continious FFF in my ear. we found a solution: swapped places.

Here it is

This script is not something I would use or recommend in its present state. It probably won't harm anything but it won't do what it is supposed to.
The kernel configs do nothing. As Jostein and I have mentioned, you need to recompile a kernel to bless it with new parameters.
The cron job to check every hour for a new kernel is pointless and may even degrade performance. Audio kernels don't generally need to be updated as long as they work.
It could be useful with some minor changes. I look forward to v.0.2 and beyond. Wink
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

One does in general not need a realtime kernel as long as one uses a low latency one or only mixes or uses the mouse for MIDI work. But when you have old hardware or for example for real plays and/or records soft (synths) players, such as Pianoteq or the wonderful Diva from u-he, then you really should have an RT kernel, the same applies if you do not have a decent mixer or a sound card with HW monitor capabilities and records vocals. I can run down 32 frames, 2 periods at 44100 on my system, and do usually not get X-runs, but the 64 periods setting is stable on my systems.

For one that are used to the command line or for different reasons are used to compile programs, a compilation of a kernel is not difficult. For most users, a new version of a patched kernel will probably work, but I always compile an RT kernel that is close to my distro's. So my main studio is based upon Kubuntu 18.04, the RT-kernel is 4.19.59-rt24. A 5.x based kernel will work just fine too. On my laptop, I have Kubuntu 20.04 with a 5.4.34-rt21 kernel.

If you do not want to compile the kernel, the RT from AV-Linux will probably work fine.
(07-20-2020, 06:56 PM)basstrombone Wrote: Here it is

Thanks mate, I'm busy during weekdays for the next three weeks but will look into it next weekend.

Cheers,
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Also here https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php...43#p121543 already some feedback came to the music-daw.1.0.deb, just for information or collecting.
(07-21-2020, 07:27 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 06:56 PM)basstrombone Wrote: Here it is

Thanks mate, I'm busy during weekdays for the next three weeks but will look into it next weekend.

Don't bother. They believe that adding the RT parameters to a low latency kernel's config file alone turns it into an RT kernel - at least as it's spelled out there. I'm going to snatch that deb file and check what's going on.

EDIT: Ok, I've checked it. I say like Sunrat and look forward to the 0.2. I also thought that this was another project than the OP.

Don't let this keep you down folks, it's a brilliant idea and you are into something cool. Do not hesitate to contact me if you want help with the RT kernel.
(07-21-2020, 08:25 AM)Jostein Wrote: Don't bother. They believe that adding the RT parameters to a low latency kernel's config file alone turns it into an RT kernel - at least as it's spelled out there. I'm going to snatch that deb file and check what's going on.

I had a look at the script in the .deb, and at the LinuxMusicians thread. The script appears to merely alter the kernel config file but doesn't include any way to compile the kernel or to install one. Curiously the RealtimeConfigQuickScan script shows an RT kernel to be in use after running the tweak script. This is because it only checks the config file and not the kernel itself.
So not only does it not do what it is supposed to do, but also reports incorrectly that an RT kernel is active.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(07-21-2020, 09:09 AM)sunrat Wrote: I had a look at the script in the .deb, and at the LinuxMusicians thread. The script appears to merely alter the kernel config file but doesn't include any way to compile the kernel or to install one. Curiously the RealtimeConfigQuickScan script shows an RT kernel to be in use after running the tweak script. This is because it only checks the config file and not the kernel itself.
So not only does it not do what it is supposed to do, but also reports incorrectly that an RT kernel is active.

Yeah, I saw it and noticed it. I'm really surprised that the RealtimeConfigQuickScan script does it this way instead of just checking the output of the uname -a command.

Well, well, always cool to learn something new and I will use RealtimeConfigQuickScan with slightly more suspicion from now on.