Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to run Mixbus 32C with an RME Multiface II and their HDSPe card?
I have a computer (Core 2 Quad) with a PCIe slot, that I'd like to utilize to run Mixbus 32C with an RME Multiface II and HDSPe card. I don't want to run Windows. I know that Mixbus 32C runs on Linux. Is anyone running it on Linux (or BSD Unix) and using a Multiface II and HDSPe card?
(05-31-2020, 10:09 PM)Grumpy Wrote: I have a computer (Core 2 Quad) with a PCIe slot, that I'd like to utilize to run Mixbus 32C with an RME Multiface II and HDSPe card. I don't want to run Windows. I know that Mixbus 32C runs on Linux. Is anyone running it on Linux (or BSD Unix) and using a Multiface II and HDSPe card?

These seem to be running under Linux and if they run under Linux, Mixbus can use them.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Yes, works great! I have used a RME Multiface and a HDSP card for some years with linux. Multiface II and HDSPe will work too.
Thanks guys, for your replies. Now all I need to do is bring up an adequate Linux machine. Do you know how/where to get the correct driver for the HDSPe card that I'm using? When I bought it (long ago), I don't think that there were variants like HDSPe AES, HDSPe RayDAT, HDSPe MADI, etc. It was probably the first PCI Express card. It was compatible with the TCO option (I have one). I don't see any HDSPe card listed on the RME site, other than the variants that have qualifiers like those listed above.

I know that this is a "groaner" question. But do you think that I should run any particular Linux distro? I haven't used Linux much, but am a fairly sophisticated computer user in general, a low-level (C and assembly) programmer and digital/analog electronics designer. I like the ideas behind distros like Gentoo and Arch, especially for this application. Not having any undesired bloatware, etc. is appealing. Are there any advantages to any of the ones that purport to be "AV oriented?"

Another important thing is that I want to utilize a Mackie Control Universal Pro tactile control surface (with one 8-channel fader expansion, and a C4). And I also want to use at least two largish displays, three if possible. Any recommendations as to Linux-compatible display adapter cards? I don't care about performance for gaming, only pixel dimensions, VESA mount capability and hopefully, thin bezel size.
You can get the driver and firmware here: https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Matrix:Vendor-RME / https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Matrix:Module-hdsp

If you are a fairly sophisticated computer user try some distros and choose what you like. Or use a common distro for quick results.
There are also some distros with a network installation media. This is a minimal installation without bloat and you can add only what you want to the base system.

I use Nvidia cards and they work great for me.
I use a HDSP (notE) card since a very long time, the drivers are in the alsa-utils module, any way you will find that when you make a research in your package manager. The HDSPe Card seems to be supported in the same way. You need to launch hdsp-mixer to initialize your interface and you have hdsp-conf to deal with the parameters.
I use a standard manjaro(arch) distribution with a real time kernel. (Not sure if its neccessary though) and i am very happy with. I didn't do any fine tuning at all.
Mixbus / Linux 64bit

Thanks very much, sonik. That's helpful.

Thanks again, rutsch. I've been cringing at the idea of trying a bunch of different Linux distros. But I may have to do that if the initial suggestions don't pan out for me.
You may find helpful information there: RME AIO - https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php...99#p116699
In this thread I helped someone to use an AIO under Linux. So it could be generally valid for HDSPe card.

install:
alsa-tools-gui
alsa-firmware-loaders

Code:
L@M:~$ hdsploader
To permanently save the settings in alsamixer (as root):
Code:
alsactl store
In hdspmixer also save the settings as one or more presets.

1.) All hardware settings, such as "Input/Output Level (.../+4 dBu/...)" for example, are set in the alsamixer, which is practically the hdspconf. You do this once and save the alsamixer settings - as root (or sudo) - with "alsactl store".
2.) All volume settings can be adjusted in the hdspmixer. There you can save one or more presets and make one as default.

# All settings you make in qjackctl or cadence are automatically taken over by alsamixer (and the card).

<EDIT>
ALSA: Vendor-RME --> HDSPe ExpressCard (Multiface, Multiface II, Digiface, RPM DJ) (Driver & Docs) Details Module-hdsp
Code:
.config - Linux/x86 4.18.12-rt Kernel Configuration
> Device Drivers > Sound card support > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture > PCI sound devices
  │ │    < >   RME Hammerfall DSP Audio                                       │ │
  │ │    <M>   RME Hammerfall DSP MADI/RayDAT/AIO                             │ │
  │ │    < >   RME Digi32, 32/8, 32 PRO                                       │ │
  │ │    < >   RME Digi96, 96/8, 96/8 PRO                                     │ │
  │ │    < >   RME Digi9652 (Hammerfall)                                      │ │

</EDIT>
Hi
I Ran RME for years into my DDX 3216 desks two of them and Ardour could see all 32 tracks.
I never installed any drivers or did any tuning as such. I did use the ADAT system at the time.
Linux for years!
Ubuntu studio 24.04 LTS  Mixbus 32C  V9
Dell Precision  T3600  8 core 64gb ram.