Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compiling plugins with Mixbus library versions?
Brick 
Hi!

Is there some guide how to build some plugins with those library versions Mixbus is delivered? At least plugins using QT commonly crash/don't work because missing symbols. For example, qmidiarp plugin does not show UI and complains about missing symbols. :
Linux veteran and music novice
Follow inspiration, not trends!
Ok, my problem isn't really compiling those plugins. I get undefined symbol errors for g_output_stream_write_all_async which should be in libgio-2.0.so.0 and hb_font_funcs_set_nominal_glyph_func from libharfbuzz.so.0. And they are requested by libraries, so if I would build something I would need build those libs separately for Mixbus.

So only way to fix mess is to have statically compiled plugins.

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=84986#p84986
You should check your qt installation.

The point that your qt plug-ins are crashing are just a sign of this problem, I guess you had binary packages.

Compiling plugins should not involve mixbus or any other daw.

Maybe your binary packages are old or there are missing compilation flags in some lib. You provided no real information and you seem to be lost in your solution.

Try to bring your system up to date and if its still not working reinstall the stuff you want with the dependencies. If you still fail you could get familiar with your linker and solve your compilation quest.

I don't want to sound rude, but compiling can be though, especially when you don't have a clue what is happening and seeing half cryptic stuff like symbol not found...

If you still in, you should prepare your system right and understand the difference between compiling and linking as well as the difference between headers and libraries. The actual solution would depend on your actual system.

Gesendet von meinem COL-L29 mit Tapatalk
(06-02-2020, 06:54 AM)schwarzbrot Wrote: You should check your qt installation.

The point that your qt plug-ins are crashing are just a sign of this problem, I guess you had binary packages.

Compiling plugins should not involve mixbus or any other daw.

Maybe your binary packages are old or there are missing compilation flags in some lib. You provided no real information and you seem to be lost in your solution.

Try to bring your system up to date and if its still not working reinstall the stuff you want with the dependencies. If you still fail you could get familiar with your linker and solve your compilation quest.

I don't want to sound rude, but compiling can be though, especially when you don't have a clue what is happening and seeing half cryptic stuff like symbol not found...

If you still in, you should prepare your system right and understand the difference between compiling and linking as well as the difference between headers and libraries. The actual solution would depend on your actual system.

My post was a bit unclear, but to clarify:
Error messages about missing symbols are coming when using plugins with Mixbus. And those missing symbols are such that they are present in system libraries, but missing in Mixbus version of same library. Maybe you did not know that Mixbus is packaged with own libraries, and it is setting own library path, meaning it overrides system libs.

I am pretty confident that you are much more lost than I :-)
Actually you seem a bit right, I never checked, but my startup script leaves $LD_LIBRARY_PATH unchanged.

As a matter of fact I have ardour6 compiled my self and the script exports ARDOUR_BUNDLED to true.

If you say you use the bundled version of the libs, for what reasons ever, I see why you want to compile against them.

Well I guess mixbus was build with dynamic linking, which should make replacements of the library possible.

Well, there is more unknown to me than I would ever know.

Ok, double checked. You are right and my assumptions were wrong. The process loads the shipped version. Replacing the lib is not quite simple because the the positions of the symbols. Sorry for taking your time.

Actually another possible angle to this problem would be compiling Mixbus (GPL parts) myself, with system libraries. Then there might be some trouble with closed parts...
(06-04-2020, 04:48 AM)tavasti Wrote: Actually another possible angle to this problem would be compiling Mixbus (GPL parts) myself, with system libraries. Then there might be some trouble with closed parts...
It's the same as replacing the, but you will run into trouble with the symbol tables.

Any changes can lead to different offsets. The order the linker links is important and you may not able to reconstruct things, at least I cannot. There is a way in theory, but but you won't travel around the world to ask your neighbor for a cup a sugar.

There can also be reason for the lack of the symbol, but if it hasn't a technical nature I would love to see it in next minor release.

You still should have workarounds which are may ugly but more straight forward at the moment.

Looking at QMidiArp build script for my system (Slackware), it seems simple to compile, required dependencies are Jack and QT (you may need their devel packages though, not sure how your distro deals with this)
(06-04-2020, 12:46 PM)keefaz Wrote: Looking at QMidiArp build script for my system (Slackware), it seems simple to compile, required dependencies are Jack and QT (you may need their devel packages though, not sure how your distro deals with this)
And to compile that with mixbus libraries, I would need to build QT with those libs.
(06-05-2020, 12:54 AM)tavasti Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 12:46 PM)keefaz Wrote: Looking at QMidiArp build script for my system (Slackware), it seems simple to compile, required dependencies are Jack and QT (you may need their devel packages though, not sure how your distro deals with this)
And to compile that with mixbus libraries, I would need to build QT with those libs.

You can't compile anything with mixbus libraries, I mean you would need the libraries source code for that (functions declarations in header files). I have compiled audio plugins in Linux, that just works, providing you have dependency packages installed and maybe devel package for source code (depending on distro, in Slackware source code is always included in each package)