Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus 6 some issues and observations
Hi All
I'm about to downgrade to studio 18 and see if the xruns and instability go away.
had a few issues on Ubuntu studio 19.10 using Mixbus 6.

I'll keep you posted,
Cheers Bob
Linux for years!
Ubuntu studio 24.04 LTS  Mixbus 32C  V9
Dell Precision  T3600  8 core 64gb ram.
(04-16-2020, 09:14 AM)redeye Wrote: have found a few problems with the new release as follows. Will investigate more and see if I can get more info.

1. Jack xruns - a massive increase compared with Mixbus 5 and same projects ( re-created for Mixbus 6 ). Strangely it is random as sometimes cured by closing and re-opening project. Sometimes by randomly turning off plugins and turning back on again ( so far not found a particular plugin that causes this it seems to happen at start when scanning the plugins ).
JACK log says :
Wed Apr 15 20:25:53 2020: ERROR: JackEngine::XRun: client = mixbus was not finished, state = Running
Wed Apr 15 20:25:53 2020: ERROR: JackAudioDriver:TonguerocessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

2. Random complete lock up, usually when editing a plugins settings the whole screen locks, mouse does not work, cannot access any other applications. Mixbus keeps playing audio but machine stuck only a hard reboot cures. This will be harder to get debug info sorted.

Anybody else having problems?

Hi on using MB6 and studio 19.10 I had horrendous x runs and a connection sound whenever I stopped the transport.
I had MB quit without warning often ( using the scissor function!)

So I have re-installed Studio 18 and MC32 V6 and so far it's stable.

My gut feeling is a problem with the sound controls and jack.
When I checked jack at one point it was showing a different config to that of the studio controls.

I would say until this is sorted leave 19 and 20 alone for a production system.

All the best Bob
Linux for years!
That's sad to hear, an audio studio orientated distro that doesn't let the one of a few Linux DAW working reliably...
(05-16-2020, 08:19 AM)wavesound Wrote: Hi on using MB6 and studio 19.10 I had horrendous x runs and a connection sound whenever I stopped the transport.

It's not US19.10, it's US19.10 on your hardware in your configuration. It ran perfectly here with kx repositories and Mixbus and Bitwig 3 and all kinds of synth/audio software until yesterday - when I upgraded to 20.04 (because it's LTS).

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(05-16-2020, 09:27 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 08:19 AM)wavesound Wrote: Hi on using MB6 and studio 19.10 I had horrendous x runs and a connection sound whenever I stopped the transport.

It's not US19.10, it's US19.10 on your hardware in your configuration. It ran perfectly here with kx repositories and Mixbus and Bitwig 3 and all kinds of synth/audio software until yesterday - when I upgraded to 20.04 (because it's LTS).

MMM

Hi
I'm using an x32 as a front end and this is picked up by Jack.
Are you using USB?
As I have been using US 18* I have no issues and no xruns.
This tells me the hardware is capable.

I wanted to stay on US19 and 20 and I'm mixing in the box at the moment so really the interface has very little bearing .

Thing is US20* is probably improving all the time and as i'm waiting on a NVMe card I'll install to that as a testing platform.
Cheers
Bob
Linux for years!
(05-17-2020, 06:58 AM)wavesound Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 09:27 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:

MMM

Hi
I'm using an x32 as a front end and this is picked up by Jack.
Are you using USB?
As I have been using US 18* I have no issues and no xruns.
This tells me the hardware is capable.

I wanted to stay on US19 and 20 and I'm mixing in the box at the moment so really the interface has very little bearing .

Thing is US20* is probably improving all the time and as i'm waiting on a NVMe card I'll install to that as a testing platform.
Cheers
Bob

I've been running a Qu32 over USB as well as a 1818VSL, currently I'm running a Motu Ultralite AVL over USB - no problems at all.
Your issues may have their cause in a changed IRQ affinity. This is a thing you can check and change.
https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2014/01/linux-interrupts/

Btw, the "faster" NVME drive can actually make it worse, if you are unlucky...
https://youtu.be/GUsLLEkswzE

Cheers,
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths