Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro-level Linux Audio Interface with 16+ inputs
Hi everyone,

I am considering an investiment in a serious pro-level interface. I need at least 16 channels of input, would be nice to have 8-16 channels of output. I need to be able to do HW monitoring and headphone mixes in hardware.

I currently run a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, which does most of this, but I would like to upgrade to better converters and USB connectivity. Low latency would be a bonus, but not necessary. Any advice?

Thanks

Dan
There are many USB class complient audio interfaces out there, but monitoring via HW is almost always the problem, as that usually still needs some proprietary control software that the companies refuse to provide for Linux. Not sure if some of those might work via wine.

Motu AVB devices would have been nice, as they have a web interface for control of the internal mixer, but it seems they still haven't fixed the firmware bug that causes problems on Linux, and they also don't seem to care much. ( https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046 )

So best bet would be to get an actual digital mixer with actual controls on the hardware and class complient interface, so you don't need software to control it.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
(03-07-2020, 11:17 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: Motu AVB devices would have been nice, as they have a web interface for control of the internal mixer, but it seems they still haven't fixed the firmware bug that causes problems on Linux, and they also don't seem to care much. ( https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046 )

I'm running a MOTU Ultralite AVB with no problems whatsoever. There is one thing with the firmware, true: The latest version running with Linux is 1.3.2+520 - so if you buy a new one today you probably need to "downgrade" the firmware. This is fortunately totally easy, you can download older versions from MOTU and simply patch via the web interface.
While the MOTU already has some I/O onboard, it can be extended via ADAT to get 8 more I/O. Also, being an AVB device, you could add an AVB switch and add more AVB devices easily via ethernet. The firmware is already prepared for that.
I love the web interface, it even allows you to "outsource" the AUX mixers, which get their own URL, so every muso can have his personal cue mixer on his phone/tablet at no extra cost.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(03-08-2020, 06:53 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(03-07-2020, 11:17 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: Motu AVB devices would have been nice, as they have a web interface for control of the internal mixer, but it seems they still haven't fixed the firmware bug that causes problems on Linux, and they also don't seem to care much. ( https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046 )

I'm running a MOTU Ultralite AVB with no problems whatsoever. There is one thing with the firmware, true: The latest version running with Linux is 1.3.2+520 - so if you buy a new one today you probably need to "downgrade" the firmware.

Might be true, but it was also mentioned that for the newer, bigger interfaces than the Ultralite there is no older firmware available that would still work. I'd been interested in a MOTU AVB myself, like the 828ES or the 8 Pre-ES - especially for being able to extend the IO via network in the future, but unfortunately they might have problems.

So I might get a digital mixer instead, that will have the option of being extended via a digital snake.
(03-08-2020, 09:39 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: Might be true, but it was also mentioned that for the newer, bigger interfaces than the Ultralite there is no older firmware available that would still work. I'd been interested in a MOTU AVB myself, like the 828ES or the 8 Pre-ES - especially for being able to extend the IO via network in the future, but unfortunately they might have problems.

You could get an Ultralite and add a "big" one via AVB...
(sometimes I'm happy to have "downgraded" my studio Smile )

(03-08-2020, 09:39 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: So I might get a digital mixer instead, that will have the option of being extended via a digital snake.

That's always a good idea - imagine having cue mixes on faders and of course also your CR mix - and all without the latency-chain.
I ran an A&H Qu32 in the old studio and I was very happy with it. Plus, it offers personal monitoring on clients' devices, too!

MMM

P.S.: most times I'm happy about the "downgrade" - much more peace of mind with the lower cost of running it Smile
Linux throughout!

Thanks everyone,

I should specify: this is a studio which will be aiming for fairly high end clients. I need something that won't look out of place sharing rack space with gear from SSL, Neve, AKG, Neumann etc. They have spent a lot of money making it look good on paper and in photos and I definitely won't be welcome for long if I show up with a Behringer mixer (with all due respect - I am the happy owner of an ADA 8200). Even Motu might be at the bottom end of what's acceptable (although the individual headphone mix feature seems pretty cool).

Bottom line is, I need something that looks good, and whose hi-fi credentials cannot be called into question. Some years back it seemed like RME was the top of the heap for Linux. Has this changed? Do I have alternatives?
(03-12-2020, 06:37 PM)dankinzelman Wrote: Thanks everyone,

I should specify: this is a studio which will be aiming for fairly high end clients. I need something that won't look out of place sharing rack space with gear from SSL, Neve, AKG, Neumann etc. They have spent a lot of money making it look good on paper and in photos and I definitely won't be welcome for long if I show up with a Behringer mixer (with all due respect - I am the happy owner of an ADA 8200). Even Motu might be at the bottom end of what's acceptable (although the individual headphone mix feature seems pretty cool).

Bottom line is, I need something that looks good, and whose hi-fi credentials cannot be called into question. Some years back it seemed like RME was the top of the heap for Linux. Has this changed? Do I have alternatives?

That same clients will also require a Mac Pro and ask for proTools HD. Maybe an S6 desk. They are gear-diots. So why bother?
MMM
Linux throughout!

I've been recording (happily) on budget gear for 10 years and the quality of my recordings has gradually improved as my skills have grown. My limited experience with expensive/nicer gear has shown me that I can sometimes get better results, but more than anything it's a lot less finicky and more fun. I get your points about not getting fooled by fancy names - my usual setup is a Saffire Pro 40 and ADA 8200.

But this is an opportunity that I would prefer not to miss - these guys have spent a few hundred thousand remodeling a villa, acquiring some amazing mics and buying a beautiful Hamburg Steinway. If they don't want photos circulating of a Behringer mixer in the middle of their control room I can understand that, and actually think its a sound marketing decision.

TBH I don't feel secure enough in my ears and experience to guarantee that there isn't a quality difference between low and high-end gear. I don't mind spending a bit more to get something whose quality nobody can call into question, especially since that would be my entry ticket, and I think working here would repay my investment in relatively short order.

Bottom line is I have no axe to grind, and would prefer not to argue about the studio's decisions regarding the market segment they've chosen to court, nor about my desire to take this opportunity - everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I just want to know what the best Linux-compatible interfaces are at the mid to high end.
(03-13-2020, 04:35 PM)dankinzelman Wrote: But this is an opportunity that I would prefer not to miss - these guys have spent a few hundred thousand remodeling a villa, acquiring some amazing mics and buying a beautiful Hamburg Steinway. If they don't want photos circulating of a Behringer mixer in the middle of their control room I can understand that, and actually think its a sound marketing decision.

Bottom line is I have no axe to grind, and would prefer not to argue about the studio's decisions regarding the market segment they've chosen to court, nor about my desire to take this opportunity - everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I just want to know what the best Linux-compatible interfaces are at the mid to high end.

Like bachstudies mentioned: you will need to "defend" your decision for Linux in particular. Despite there are very good reasons to choose Linux over the other two, most people have no idea and are hard to win. Think about fancy looking plugins - mostly Windows VST... And so on.
But regardless, if they already spent a few 100k they shouldn't stop there and could be happy with a Burl Mothership - it's modular and can be run under any system which provides a supported interface - for Linux the best would be probably MADI, with an RME card on PC side.
You certainly need a kind of desk: I strongly advise not to monitor through the DAW. Luckily Harrison has one, which would fit the highest expectations, but any other high quality desk would do. (of course this has to be matched by the chosen monitors...)
As for easy Mixbus operation you could get a RuCo control surface, Russell just opens a new batch for orders.
But, again, you will need to "defend" Mixbus... ask them very thoroughly what they want, maybe they want to go the well beaten Mac/ProTools/S6 path just "to be sure". That's not too bad either for you, then you can still run Mixbus as a second program and who's to say that there won't be any S6 support in the future?

Anyway, I now understand where you come from and where you want to go and it's always hard with people who pay but may be a bit snobby Smile

Here are a few links:
https://burlaudio.com/products/b80-mothership
https://discourse.ardour.org/t/rme-madi-...em/80248/2
https://harrisonconsoles.com/site/950mx.html
https://www.facebook.com/groups/220644955379270/

Cheers,
MMM
Linux throughout!

Burl Audio are really worth a close look at, expensive but seen in very good company.
If I had the money I would be looking at Burl and the other essential in any out-board rack... Bricasti the kings of reverb...
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5