Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Solved] Mixbus: White noise on all input channels.
I cannot see if there is a native way to do a stress test on mixbus.
I want to do a stress test by applying white noise on each channel.
That way I can figure out in advance how mixbus will work under full loads and where the system becomes troublesome and under which conditions.
I find no native way to mixbus to apply noise source to inputs for this purpose.
It is especially useful to test plugins as that is where the trouble really happens.
Maybe I missed something as this is really very useful if you want to use Mixbus reliably and will be great to find trouble in advance.
Create an audio buss, add signal generator plugin and turn off Master send.
In Audio Connections window, or on each channel selector...route the audio buss output to the input of the tracks you want to record tone on.
There you can record the tone sequence you want.
I understand recording tones etc, but when recording digital audio, silence should take as much resource as full scale audio.
Because the EQ, Dynamics and tape sims that are constantly on in Mixbus, the system should draw no more resource for playing a file of silence or full scale signal.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(04-20-2019, 09:28 PM)Dingo Wrote: Because the EQ, Dynamics and tape sims that are constantly on in Mixbus, the system should draw no more resource for playing a file of silence or full scale signal.

That is true, but I have to check right ?
As for me it is only valid once I confirmed it.

As mentioned bad plugins can be non-linear in their resource use, and I want to test it before I use it.

[quote='Dingo' pid='43583' dateline='1555813725']
Create an audio buss, add signal generator plugin and turn off Master send.

Ok, well what you describe is an external source
I was hoping Mixbus has an internal source, which you confirmed it doesnt, so I will go the external route thanks.
Signal generator is a plugin in Mixbus.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I don't think that white noise is a realistic benchmark.

I would use a stereo track from an external recorder and route it to all your inputs in pair (1-2, 3-4, ... n-n+1). You have to route the recorder to all your inputs at once.
Hard pan the respective tracks.

This way, you will be able to quickly hear latency and/or phase shift when using MB and you will stress the channel strips and mix buses with realistic inputs, making them work harder.
That will also test your interface at the same time.
Thanks Gira, that is in fact exactly what I ended up doing.
You made a few helpful extra ideas I will try.

(04-21-2019, 02:14 AM)GiRa Wrote: I would use a stereo track from an external recorder and route it to all your inputs in pair (1-2, 3-4, ... n-n+1). You have to route the recorder to all your inputs at once.
Hard pan the respective tracks.
Hello...i was facing the issue on a blank channel. Based on that experience i would recommend to Plug a set of headphones into the insert jack for that channel. If you hear the noise (it would only be on one side of the headphones) then a preamp has gone bad. Other than that I suspect the 100 mfd / 6.2 volt cap at the input of the A_D for that channel has gone bad, not a repair for DIY unless you are adept at electronic repair.

quick full pcb assembly services
Zimbodel -

So... How many channels do you think should be enough to validate your test?
Since Mixbus can provide an unlimited number of tracks and, on each track you can
specify input as, say, input #1 of a USB audio interface, then you can (in theory)
set up a test session with a very large number of tracks, all getting a 1kHz tone
coming from your audio interface. If the incoming tone is trimmed to unity on each
mixer channel fader in your test, how many channels do you think you would have
operating before you reach your maximum load at the Master bus? Do you already
have a number in mind? Have you tried this out on other DAWs and are you just
curious to see how Mixbus compares with them?

BTW... I would try both white and pink noise.

Very curious....
Patrick
Lol, another way to pass on time.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths