Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you balance the spectrum when mastering on Linux
I know I use Mac and planning on using Linux For most of my mixing work, I will be missing my plugins I use such as ozone and others, how do you balance the spectrum when mastering, I feel since I’m not too experienced as a mastering engineer, how do others who use linux deal with masters, I many use other options when using other platforms such as ozone mastering assistant, match eq, and reference tracks, what’s the best way on Linux since plugins are not the same as other platforms, I have issues with low end, my bass or low end is too much and not realistic, I got tools on Mac OS to help but when I make the move to Linux, what can I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(03-06-2019, 01:55 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: what’s the best way on Linux since plugins are not the same as other platforms,

Not sure what you mean. I run all Melda and Voxengo, and IK Multimedia on Linux. For some these companies might not be as 'serious' as Waves and Ozone and UA and the really BIG names, but they're excellent IMHO.
(03-06-2019, 09:33 AM)jonetsu Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 01:55 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: what’s the best way on Linux since plugins are not the same as other platforms,

Not sure what you mean. I run all Melda and Voxengo, and IK Multimedia on Linux. For some these companies might not be as 'serious' as Waves and Ozone and UA and the really BIG names, but they're excellent IMHO.

I’m asking what’s the best tools to master, i know after a mix my spectrum is not always balanced and I find it difficult to get a good master, in use to using ozone mastering assistant to help balance my spectrum with a EQ curve suitable with the type of music I’m working on, but without those tools, how can I do this on my own, I’m thinking get a song of a good master imported into my session and use a spectrum analyzer to help use the material as a reference, especially the low end.

(03-06-2019, 01:59 PM)mrskytown11 Wrote: I’m asking what’s the best tools to master, i know after a mix my spectrum is not always balanced and I find it difficult to get a good master, in use to using ozone mastering assistant to help balance my spectrum with a EQ curve suitable with the type of music I’m working on, but without those tools, how can I do this on my own, I’m thinking get a song of a good master imported into my session and use a spectrum analyzer to help use the material as a reference, especially the low end.

Sorry for asking, but you are insisting on EQ... have you worked with a multiband compressor before?
But either way, you could make use of excellent Harrison technology:
https://harrisonconsoles.com/site/ava-plugins.html
The multiband compressor and the mastering EQ both come with built in RTA. Now add a OvertoneDSP FC70
https://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/download/d...index.html
and you're set. Oh, and the Pultec emus from the same vendor add considerable punch when used like their original hardware originals.

You can demo them all (Harrison and OvertoneDSP), even on Windows before you do the switch, so do some experiments and enjoy.

MMM
(03-06-2019, 05:47 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 01:59 PM)mrskytown11 Wrote: I’m asking what’s the best tools to master, i know after a mix my spectrum is not always balanced and I find it difficult to get a good master, in use to using ozone mastering assistant to help balance my spectrum with a EQ curve suitable with the type of music I’m working on, but without those tools, how can I do this on my own, I’m thinking get a song of a good master imported into my session and use a spectrum analyzer to help use the material as a reference, especially the low end.

Sorry for asking, but you are insisting on EQ... have you worked with a multiband compressor before?
But either way, you could make use of excellent Harrison technology:
https://harrisonconsoles.com/site/ava-plugins.html
The multiband compressor and the mastering EQ both come with built in RTA. Now add a OvertoneDSP FC70
https://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/download/d...index.html
and you're set. Oh, and the Pultec emus from the same vendor add considerable punch when used like their original hardware originals.

You can demo them all (Harrison and OvertoneDSP), even on Windows before you do the switch, so do some experiments and enjoy.

MMM

I do use multiband, I use nova and Tracks quad comp, maybe I’m not sure the best way to use them correctly for balancing a master

(03-06-2019, 06:09 PM)mrskytown11 Wrote: I do use multiband, I use nova and Tracks quad comp, maybe I’m not sure the best way to use them correctly for balancing a master

Well, you want certain frequency bands present but not overboarding without compressing all instruments in that area to death? So if at some point (but not everywhere) their combined levels in that band sum up to be too much?
You can't do this with EQ alone.
Here's a video:
https://youtu.be/GL99xDmKoDU
In tandem with i.e. the mastering EQ from Harrison you will get there. Use your ears more than an analyzer.

MMM
Not an exciting answer, but I’d say the main tools for me would be great level matched references, so I know what good sounds like. A few playback systems. I have my full range, a boom box, a single Avantone, a single Bluetooth speaker and earbuds. For software tool I’d say the MixBus built in tools should get you 95% there. Maybe add an MEQ plug-in?
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
(03-06-2019, 11:42 PM)doncolga Wrote: Not an exciting answer, but I’d say the main tools for me would be great level matched references, so I know what good sounds like. A few playback systems. I have my full range, a boom box, a single Avantone, a single Bluetooth speaker and earbuds. For software tool I’d say the MixBus built in tools should get you 95% there. Maybe add an MEQ plug-in?

What works is comparing my Masters to a previous master of some of my old music done by a professional. Maybe u should add them in the session but Mixbus has its DSP and I don’t know how to A and B in Mixbus properly

(03-07-2019, 12:04 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: ..... Maybe u should add them in the session but Mixbus has its DSP and I don’t know how to A and B in Mixbus properly

Switch off the Master out off your reference Track and route it directly to your Output. Turn on excl. Solo and compare.

That's how I do it.
°°°
Mac Mini M1 --> RME Multiface II
MacBook Air M1
Thinkpad T430 16gb --> Ubuntustudio 64bit --> Multiface II / SoundDevices USBpre2
(03-07-2019, 03:11 AM)knutzn Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 12:04 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: ..... Maybe u should add them in the session but Mixbus has its DSP and I don’t know how to A and B in Mixbus properly

Switch off the Master out off your reference Track and route it directly to your Output. Turn on excl. Solo and compare.

That's how I do it.

Ill try that thanks