Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a dream
[b][b]I have a dream,[/b][/b] that one day very soon, the developers of MIXBUS is going to have an AHA!! moment of remembering that BILL GATES of windows and STEVE JOBS of iPad and iPhone , that took complicated talks and made them soooo simple that EVERYONE in the world could use a computer and cell phone doing simple touching of ICONS. and not having to do complicated talks of numerous mouse clicks and drop down menus to create and record music on a computer. I LOVE THAT MIXER, but had to go back to my other DAW. Thank you and God bless you www.seymourheron.net
(10-14-2018, 11:47 AM)Seymoursax Wrote: [b][b]I have a dream,[/b][/b] that one day very soon, the developers of MIXBUS is going to have an AHA!! moment of remembering that BILL GATES of windows and STEVE JOBS of iPad and iPhone , that took complicated talks and made them soooo simple that EVERYONE in the world could use a computer and cell phone doing simple touching of ICONS. and not having to do complicated talks of numerous mouse clicks and drop down menus to create and record music on a computer. I LOVE THAT MIXER, but had to go back to my other DAW. Thank you and God bless you www.seymourheron.net

Dear Seymour

I have to disappoint you: The mister Jobs, and Gates, were just clever copycats. these were not their idea´s.

But is you show here what is difficult, we can assist you !

A fellow Soprano player

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
Hello Frank, thank you for taking the time to respond.You may well be right about gates and Jobs, but the point was that they were VERY successful in:making complicated things simple for the average person to operate...Ive been playing around with DAWS since CAKEWALK 2 audio tracks. If you look at my webpage the last listing is a 45RPM done in 1976 on a Harrison Console. The engineer is my friend today, I showed him the MIXBUS software and his respond was...To use this to record I have to go learn computer programming. What ever happened to the KISS formula... Keep it simple s...... Thanks for listening. God bless
(10-15-2018, 10:34 PM)Seymoursax Wrote: I showed him the MIXBUS software and his respond was...To use this to record I have to go learn computer programming.

Hi Seymour

I am very surprised to hear such a conclusion. While I always had the feeling with my previous DAWS that i had to start with a mixer construction kit.

Mixbus is rather different from most daws as it has two modes: The edit mode , which looks like the starting point in most daws, and the mixer mode. I Mixer mode you see a fully configured Harrison console. It is the mode i am always in. Reminds me of my analogue real console days, and one has a good overview of all that is happening.

Download a demo from the Harrison site, and start with a preset which fits your situation best.
Go to mixer mode: and wow: Knobs and faders meters and more.

I have seen many times that experienced users of other DAWs have difficulty, because they look for the things they are used to, but they are in the edit mode.
I come from the live world, and in my first recordings, I wondered why do i have edit mode at all, live one cannot play back or overdub.

The mixermode is what you are looking for: The icons and stuff. I made the same transition, and never looked back.
I have no commercial connection with Harrison, and just write this because Mixbus gave me back the fun in music.

Regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(10-15-2018, 10:34 PM)Seymoursax Wrote: If you look at my webpage the last listing is a 45RPM done in 1976 on a Harrison Console. The engineer is my friend today, I showed him the MIXBUS software and his respond was...To use this to record I have to go learn computer programming. What ever happened to the KISS formula... Keep it simple s...... Thanks for listening. God bless
@Seymoursax, I am very surprised by that statement.
Having worked in the late 70's I do not miss having to align a 24 track recorder almost once every day, nor trouble shoot the various connectors of a hardware console that have worked their way loose due to the SPL in the control room.
I certainly do not miss: the tape hiss, RF coming in via un-balanced outboard gear, the one legged scratchiness of a mechanical patch bay or not being able to record to adjacent tracks, print through etc.....
Sometimes I think the analog era is over played thru rose tinted glasses.
Yes it has a 'sound' but the downsides are many and at times much more technically complex than digital.
MB is the most straight forward DAW I have come across. The mixer is already built for you. In Pro Tools you have to build the damn thing every time.
No get your friend to have a closer look and remember the pain that analog truely was.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
for you. In Pro Tools you have to build the damn thing every time.
No get your friend to have a closer look and remember the pain that analog truely was.
[/quote]
Hello Dindo, thank you for your reply. OH Yes those anolog days. Dont forget the part about when you apply the adhesive tape during the splice and it comes loose during rewind. ha ha
Ill prepare a detailed response soon. Thank you, God bless
LOL this thread makes me wonder: where is our friend Shailesh?
MMM
(10-19-2018, 06:27 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: LOL this thread makes me wonder: where is our friend Shailesh?
MMM

and was waiting for Max

Thank you for not disappointing me !!

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

(10-15-2018, 10:34 PM)Seymoursax Wrote: I showed him the MIXBUS software and his respond was...To use this to record I have to go learn computer programming. What ever happened to the KISS formula... Keep it simple s......

I guess we all are different and we get our heads around things in different ways and with different ease. Other DAWs have always had many stellar learning curves for me.

My first impression when I started using Mixbus around 9 years ago was the complete opposite of yours and your friends. I just imported the files and then more or less just started mixing - it was a real eye-opening moment for me and everything was fun again. I was at home immediately, I knew what the knobs were for and I quickly had a decent mix - thanks to the familiarity with analog consoles! I love that environment, it's like playing on an instrument - it reacts at once in a musical way that I never have experienced in any other DAW. It's not only for mixing that's fantastic but for editing, it's amazingly effective also! Now, I have used Mixbus and Mixbus32C for tracking, editing, and mixing for many years.

And if it's difficult to get into the console mentality on computers: Just invest some moments at the beginning of the manual and the videos at Harrison's YouTube channel.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
Serious necrobump here. Big Grin
Maybe one day someone will release audio software with only two buttons, one labelled Import Files and one labelled Mix. Press two buttons - done! (maybe it exists already)
I hear Izotope has some software that pretty much does one button mastering, isn't mixing the next logical step?
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.