Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MOTU Ultralite AVB and Linux
Hi all,

I just had the first quick test with the MOTU UltraLite AVB. It seems to work!
1) plugged in power, then network (just my normal computer network)
2) pressed menu button, turned knob to "network"
3) read the IP address it got via DHCP
4) opened browser on computer, navigated to the IP et voila!

So the control app runs on the MOTU itself, a full 48 channel mixer with gates, eq, compressor, hpf, AUX sends etc and can be controlled with any browser in the network.

Now for the sound:
5) plugged in the USB
6) started Qjackctl
7) selected Ultralite AVB et voila again!

First playback / mic recording worked ootb with no glitches.

Of course I need to do more tests, but I believe this is it! Class compliant USB and control over the network in the device itself. No fiddling with monitor mixes in the DAW, no fiddling with buffers for low latency - monitor/phone mixes are done in the device with nearly zero latency. Just like the Firestudio before, but under Linux.

Beware: you want the MOTU Ultralite AVB, the one with the Ethernet socket! Not the UltraLite mk4 - read in the Firewire thread why.

Cheers, MMM

Danke!
Thanks
Dank je
Xie xie
Salamat po
terimah kasih

Not the firewire thread though

This one fire ehhh
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
This is fantastic news..
While I can't see it happening soon (unless I have a number of good paying clients).. it puts the MOTU 1248 back in scope.

If I stick with my MPC-2500 for my electronic music sequencing, then the 2 ADAT ports facilitate the Zed R16.. or if I finally move to ITB sequencing (Bitwig), then I can ditch the Zed altogether..

mmmmm.. food for thought.
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com 
I was unaware about AVB
I have been looking into the documentation , IEEE
and implementations, look very interesting.

I have always been busy with adding more hardware ( Computers) in the network.

I check my Mac laptop and i saw in advanced settings a switch to switch on AVB.

Max
Can you do a test for us : ( Not for me why should you)

I understand you have a Mac laptop

Can you connect the Motu to Linux with the USB
and the ethernet port to the laptop : direct no switch.
as far as i understand you should be able to use resources of the Motu on both machines
and stream from the Linux box to the Unix box

The Motu should be the clock master.

I Think the Ai is an interesting device

Regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(05-12-2018, 01:57 PM)Frank Wrote: Can you do a test for us : ( Not for me why should you)

I will do the test for you. (and everyone else haha) - just need to find that Apple lappy.
Just remind me in a few days should I forget it Smile

MMM
There was a thread on Linux Audio Users mailing list a year ago which reported success and much pleasure with using MOTU AVB interfaces:
http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/Mo...ml#a103632
developing a AVB device / driver / concept for a beaglebone

aka avb alsa

Interesting ?

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

(05-13-2018, 09:49 PM)sunrat Wrote: There was a thread on Linux Audio Users mailing list a year ago which reported success and much pleasure with using MOTU AVB interfaces:
http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/Mo...ml#a103632

The one you linked also described difficulties with USB3 - which I experienced, too, when I tried the Ultralite v3 - apart from not being able to use the builtin mixer which was the whole point.
Ultralite AVB works a treat, did some amazing recording this week.

Cheers,
MMM

(06-02-2018, 12:18 PM)Frank Wrote: developing a AVB device / driver / concept for a beaglebone

aka avb alsa

Interesting ?

regards

Thanks Frank, I will have a read... bit busy atm, wifey is sick, spent a day at hospital with her yesterday Sad

MMM
basic concept : how to make a AVB device from a appliance
Frank W. Kooistra

(05-12-2018, 07:45 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(05-12-2018, 01:57 PM)Frank Wrote: Can you do a test for us : ( Not for me why should you)

I will do the test for you. (and everyone else haha) - just need to find that Apple lappy.
Just remind me in a few days should I forget it Smile

MMM

I am so tired of waiting ... Big GrinHuhTongueRolleyes

aka : I bought an AVB device. An Motu AVB 8A. I has three fast ports to hardware : Thunderbolt, USB3 and AVB/TSN. I got that one with the basic idea : I have three fast connections to three (at least) machines. Need some non Linux machines to run software in their native surroundings.

Then, while waiting for delivery i found a 1248 secondhand: More I/O and but slower USB. version 2. than the Motu 8A.

First question : do i need a avb switch, to use multiple connections ( 3) and access the internal DSP/software.

Started with the 1248. to get used to the internal software. Noticed that from Windows (shhh do not tell anybody) usb connects to the internal DSP stuff. so the ethernetport is still free.

TBC

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra