Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Behringer UMC404HD Not Working with MB 4.3
Greetings all,

I'm having serious problems running MB under Ubuntu Studio 16.04 (went back after having way worse problems with 17.10).

I run AlsaMixer, and see that the interface is there, but MB doesn't run at all. MB 4.3 (and the interface) run perfectly on Sierra and Windows 7. Records and playback just fine.

Tried with two options with QjackCtl

1. Not starting Jack (letting MB handle it)
2. Started Jack and then connect to it in MB

Nothing happens (option 1 sometimes I get the message "fail to conect with audio device or something like that), when it opens (using second method) playhead goes backwards then forward, I see the meters moving but no sound at all. Lately I switched to my onboard sound card (I'm using a laptop), and MB runs without any problems (even playing MB projects in 96K sample rates @ 24 bits).

I got messages related to processor scalling monitoring (set it to "performance") which i did but again nothing gets better.
I've switched from a PRESONUS Audio Box (few inputs I record recitals , combos etc) to this Behringer interface. Audio Box was fine (except for the inputs). I used in the same laptop sometimes running Ubuntu Studio 16.04 from an external HD (USB 2.0 port) just for funa and worked.

Please let me know if anyone using MB with the Behringer UMC "HD" USB interface ok? and more importantly, if anyone succeeded on fixing it ok?

Thanks a lot

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-22-2018, 09:27 PM)basstrombone Wrote: Please let me know if anyone using MB with the Behringer UMC "HD" USB interface ok? and more importantly, if anyone succeeded on fixing it ok?

Mixbus aside: are you able to record/playback through the interface using pure ALSA? Also, does UBUNTU Studio run PulseAudio? Are you able to playback through this?

man aplay
man arecord
man paplay
man parecord

MMM
Is your USB soundcard displayed?
Code:
Your@LAW ~ $ lsusb -v
(LAW == Linux Audio Workstation)

I don't see them listed there.
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.p...-Behringer

Linux support Behringer UMC404HD? >> https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=17231

Click on my signature "GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info". I've collected some sources of information.
(03-23-2018, 04:38 AM)khz Wrote: Is your USB soundcard displayed?
Code:
Your@LAW ~ $ lsusb -v
(LAW == Linux Audio Workstation)

I don't see them listed there.
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.p...-Behringer

Linux support Behringer UMC404HD? >> https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=17231

Click on my signature "GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info". I've collected some sources of information.

Class compliant audio devices often aren't listed on the ALSA website.
I would advise testing with an audio specific distro e.g. AVLinux or KXstudio.

It may be that your newer version of Ubuntu is having Pulse claim the device before you start. It may also be that the newer version is configured for jackdbus only rather than jackd (or both combined). You can use qjackctl to start up jackdbus BUT - cadence is a much better tool.

Make sure a simple ALSA native software can see it first, before trying with qjackctl or cadence, let alone MB.
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com 
Hi Basstrombone
I have been using Behringer UMC404HD with MixBus 4 without any issues in Linux Mint 18.3 Mate from day one I bought it. I did not have to do anything to make it work....just out of the box
allank Wrote:Class compliant audio devices often aren't listed on the ALSA website.
That's right. I'd forgotten.
Good morning everybody!

First of all, I've totally forgotten about this thread I've Posted, I apologize for not getting back to you all.
But now, I've fixed all the problems since late June 2018 and I'll post it here.

First,

I was helped by the Linux Musicians forum who instructed me to:

1. Install GIT
  2. add yourself (user) to the " audio group" if you don't do this, the audio optimizations won't work
  3. Instal the "realtimequickconfigscan"
  4. Follow the instructions suggested by the feedback that this little programs does

With all of this done (plus the instructions for FireWire) I've been able to use MixBus on an Optimized Linux Mint since then.
I've replicated this protocol on many other machines and a friend of mine has created an .iso of all this optimizations to minimize time loss (making all these checks by the realtimeconfigscan)

So far I've been able to run the following interfaces with this procedures:

USB:
Presonus VLS 1818
Behringer UMC 404 HD

FireWire

Focusrite PRO 40
M-AUDIO 2626
RME HAMMERFALL FireFace 800

For the FireWire Interfaces I've bought a PCIe card containing a "Texas Instruments" Chipset (that's the only one that worked. VIA Chipset at least with didn't even allow the system to boot)

Also for the FireWire, some special alterations on the "/etc/sysctl.conf" need to be done and creating special files as well
All this info can be found here (the audio optimization itself)

https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration

But to summarize,

1. Install all the GCC5 dependencies to install MixBus
2. Install GIT and then realtime quickscan (see the link above)
3. Add yourself to the "audio group"
4. Install Jack
5. Install FFADO (for FireWire interfaces) FFADO MIXER TOO

Well, again sorry for disappearing.
and Thanks for the help and I hope this information helps.