Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus What Have You Done To Me?
I'm doing a mix with my other DAW and I'm just finding it tedious getting to the basic mixing tools, which of course are right on the console in Mixbus. It's really hard for me to get past that once you've gotten good results with it. I swear I'm gonna scream if I have to open and close another window! Then, on the other hand, there are things I can do easily on the other DAW that I'm trying to figure out how to do as easy on MixBux. I wish I could create a hybrid of the two.
Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
What would really help developers is a detailed list of things you feel are essential additions.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I just did a good sounding mix in under an hour with a total of 8 plugins that were not on the console. Kazrog KClip on drum skins, a de-esser on vocals, a short delay, a long delay, a short verb, a long verb, Ozone 8 (not totally necessary) and Reference for easy referencing to commercial tracks. Most people have that much on the stereo bus, much less all the other channels and busses...its crazy. The MixBus console is so elegantly effective. You just can't appreciate it until you've tried it...having the controls right in front of you and in birds eye view. Other DAWs feel like so much more overhead to get the basic stuff done.

Here are my essentials at the moment (hopefully it will do this now, I just haven't figured it out yet)

Automation with groups of controls:
I'm stuck on this. I've been off Mixbus since September, so I'm a little rusty and there are some cobb webs to work out, but right now I'm struggling with grabbing a group of faders, or sends, or pans and doing touch automation with that group of controls that I select on the fly. I've started doing that a lot on my other DAW and would love to do the same here.

I've got groups and faders are moving in tandem...so I'll try automation with that. I'd just like to grab a group of controls and be able to adjust them all at once, even though they're different tracks, and be able to automate that needed. Another example would be applying hi-pass filter or compression, or anything else, on eight BGV's tracks, or six guitars, all at one time. That would be excellent and even more of a time saver and eliminate what I do on bus tracks on the other DAW.

Export directly to .mp3

Magnified channel strips...I really liked the mockups.

The other stuff I'm struggling with is me, remembering the shortcuts mainly. Markers, loops, navigation, etc. I'll get that back pretty quickly.

When I work on the other DAW, I try to make it look as much like MixBus as I can, with a good channel strip with easy access ready to go everywhere. But it's still not quite like just having it all just built into the console and immediately right in front of you.
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
(02-08-2018, 12:14 AM)doncolga Wrote: I've got groups and faders are moving in tandem...so I'll try automation with that. I'd just like to grab a group of controls and be able to adjust them all at once, even though they're different tracks, and be able to automate that needed.

What about VCAs on this one? You can automate VCA that controls whatever channels/busses you like.

(02-08-2018, 12:14 AM)doncolga Wrote: Export directly to .mp3

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...ml#pid9862

Steinar :-)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(02-08-2018, 06:47 AM)Sthauge Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 12:14 AM)doncolga Wrote: I've got groups and faders are moving in tandem...so I'll try automation with that. I'd just like to grab a group of controls and be able to adjust them all at once, even though they're different tracks, and be able to automate that needed.

What about VCAs on this one? You can automate VCA that controls whatever channels/busses you like.

(02-08-2018, 12:14 AM)doncolga Wrote: Export directly to .mp3

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...ml#pid9862

Steinar :-)

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’ll be trying that with the VCAs. I’d like to be able to do that with the sends too, for a group of channels. Not sure a VCA will do that.

I’ve seen that for the .mp3. Seems like .mp3 should not require that much setup on our part. Right now I open the .wav and export using Adobe Audition.

Donny
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
You are right Mixbus is a joy to work with it is so fast to mix.
I agree - for me it's been a revelation..

Si
Imported tracks sound so good freshly imported that it's a pelasure to concentrate on mixing tasks - never mind any plugins until later in the mixing.
Yeah...it's happening again...I just finished a mix on Mixbus that I think sounds really nice. I used all the console tools, one reverb, Ozone at for final limiting, and Reference for referencing. There's no reason for this stuff to be rocket science with awards for levels of complexity. This should be fun. At least for me, after spending time on MixBus, consoles on other DAWS are just feeling overly complex when it comes to mixing. The Spill feature, the EQ, the compressors...it just puts it all in front of you really quickly. I am getting back shortcuts too. The main ones for me are making and locating markers and looping. I'm going to do at least one other mix this evening. That was an enjoyable mix.

PS: and...I got a e-mail response for a support question on a Saturday morning within a few minutes...that was nice.

Donny
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
(02-10-2018, 04:18 PM)doncolga Wrote: PS: and...I got a e-mail response for a support question on a Saturday morning within a few minutes...that was nice.

Donny

Oh about this ^^^ they treat you like their 500k desk owner right? Smile

I have to admit they are golden.