Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larger font option on OS X
There are many pop up windows in MB, especially on the DAW size of MB, and the fonts are unreadably small on a 27" iMac retina monitor. While I understand that an arbitrary font selection mechanism might not be possible due to metrics issues, I would appreciate even a single "larger fonts" option. I love MB but I can't use it without getting a headache trying to read the tiny fonts.

Please don't suggest I change the scaling of OS X, I like the retina and can choose the font size for all other apps independently. Also, the MB4 mixer generally looks great at native retina resolution.

Thanks for your consideration!
This is harder than you think. If you increase the font size, then every button, marker, and other widget has to increase to fit the scale. (the same problem happens if you switch languages, and the text needs to be longer.

On Windows and Linux, we provide a separate control ( in preferences ) for font scaling... this scales the fonts 'on the fly' so you can see what it looks like. (although it still requires a restart of Mixbus to resize the buttons "exactly" to fit nicely.

Unfortunately this control is not provided on a Mac. However I believe it is possible to tweak the font sizes "by hand" in a text file. If you are handy with a text editor, find the file:
~/Library/Preferences/Mixbus4/ui_config

Find the entries like:

<Option name="smaller font" value=" 6"/>
<Option name="small font" value=" 7"/>
<Option name="normal font" value=" 8"/>
<Option name="large font" value=" 14.5"/>
<Option name="smaller bold font" value="bold 6"/>
<Option name="small bold font" value="bold 7"/>
<Option name="normal bold font" value="bold 8"/>
<Option name="large bold font" value="bold 14.5"/>

and change the numbers to larger values. Let me know if that works for you!

-Ben
(05-08-2017, 09:46 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: This is harder than you think. If you increase the font size, then every button, marker, and other widget has to increase to fit the scale. (the same problem happens if you switch languages, and the text needs to be longer.

On Windows and Linux, we provide a separate control ( in preferences ) for font scaling... this scales the fonts 'on the fly' so you can see what it looks like. (although it still requires a restart of Mixbus to resize the buttons "exactly" to fit nicely.

Unfortunately this control is not provided on a Mac. However I believe it is possible to tweak the font sizes "by hand" in a text file. If you are handy with a text editor, find the file:
~/Library/Preferences/Mixbus4/ui_config

Find the entries like:

<Option name="smaller font" value=" 6"/>

and change the numbers to larger values. Let me know if that works for you!

-Ben

Thanks Ben. I tried that and it doesn't change any of the fonts that matter for me - e.g. those in the editor and popup windows. They seem hardcoded. And even if they weren't, without a control for UI scaling I won't (as an end user) be able to get a combination that works.

I understand that generic font scaling w/corresponding UI element scaling may not be in the cards on OS X, but still would like one single larger set of fonts + larger UI elements option. You've done that for the mixer with great success IMO. It's needed for the same reasons.

Failing that, it would be great if all the font sizes were parameterized and a generic UI scaling parameter provided. That way, even if Mixbus can't track the font metrics on OS X, as a user I could get a combination of fonts and UI scale that works for me.

Rich
(05-13-2017, 01:43 PM)richhickey Wrote: [...but still would like one single larger set of fonts + larger UI elements option. You've done that for the mixer with great success IMO. It's needed for the same reasons....

bumping this old thread... Tongue

i'm sure a lot of us are on 4K monitors now, and this situation still appears to be the same. i agree that the mixer scaling works very well, but the editor is barely legible at full 4K resolution.

any solutions in the works?

cheers!
.pltk.
(06-10-2020, 10:57 AM)plutek Wrote: bumping this old thread... Tongue

i'm sure a lot of us are on 4K monitors now, and this situation still appears to be the same. i agree that the mixer scaling works very well, but the editor is barely legible at full 4K resolution.

any solutions in the works?

cheers!
.pltk.

Appears the same, whn one does not look at the real problem: Pixelsize

Initially the problem was with people had less then the necessary amount of vertical pixels. 1200 pixels vertical.

Than industry started to make more pixels, but on smaller screens. So now one could see all graphics but with so small pixels that it is not readable at all. I guess they just considered people watching photo's

Mixbus , and just not only mixbus, use dot graphics and LCD's have a fixed dot size, one cannot increase like on an old fashioned CRT.

Mixbus needs 1200 pixels vertical. The smallest monitors which could give a sharp and readable screen were 24" monitors. I had three of them: One mixer , one editor one plugins.
Many times the editor was pulled over two screens. Beautiful.

Now we have 4K screens" great like having two horizontal 24" a and two vertical.

Now they sell 4K screens at sizes like 28 " good for Photo's, which you can zoom, bad for raster graphics like Mixbus..

Remember best size for 1k screen was 24" , for 4k screen one needs like 48" Diagonal 55" is best. anything below we start blaming the raster graphics.

It is mysterious why manufacturers of tiny high resolution screens do not warn the buyers they are not fit for the work they do.

Actually it is not a mystery: they can raise the price tremendously.

I think an apology is in place to the software manufacturers who have to fit things in an impossible screen.

Maybe this helps: Big Monitors with high resolutions are expensive. Big TV's are much more a commodity and have a much lower price .
A 55 Inch 4K tv can be bought at bargains, much less that two monitors. Take a feature less thing.

regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
Frank -

Thank you so much for your comments on video monitors!
I suspected the same but had no available monitors to verify my suspicions.
As you suggested, I will probably try out Mixbus (using a small laptop) on some
commercial TVs at my local BestBuy. Or, add a 3rd 24" monitor to the two that I
already have in my setup. As more dense and larger monitors are now the hot sellers
I suspect I can pick up a 3rd. 24" Dell Ultra or Samsung "for a song".

Cheers!
Patrick