Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Scripting ideas!
One of the new features in Mixbus4 is the ability to add small "scripts" that operate on the session, or change the behavior of Mixbus.

We are looking for your scripting ideas !

Here are some of the example scripts we've developed so far, to give you some ideas:

* Go to every track, and add a spectrum analyzer plugin

* Rename all tracks by adding or removing portions of the current name. (for example: if every track starts with track01, track02, you can remove the word "track")

* Create a series of tracks with specified names ( Kick, Snare, HiHat, OH L, OH R )

* Insert a "trim" plugin underneath the fader with the fader's value, and set the fader to "unity".

* Have the transport "stop" when it reaches a marker.

* Trigger a series of "actions" (keyboard shortcuts) in series.

We've found that some features work best built-in, while others are well suited to scripts. Scripts work best in those cases where the user has to customize the behavior slightly for their specific needs.

There's also the chance to "prototype" advanced features as Lua scripts, which will later become full features.

If we find some good suggestions that can be implemented easily, we might get them into the v4.0 launch.

Of course, if you are interested in developing scripts yourself, we'd love to hear from you as well!

Best,
-Ben
(01-21-2017, 10:54 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: One of the new features in Mixbus4 is the ability to add small "scripts" that operate on the session, or change the behavior of Mixbus.

We are looking for your scripting ideas !

Here are some of the example scripts we've developed so far, to give you some ideas:

* Go to every track, and add a spectrum analyzer plugin

* Rename all tracks by adding or removing portions of the current name. (for example: if every track starts with track01, track02, you can remove the word "track")

* Create a series of tracks with specified names ( Kick, Snare, HiHat, OH L, OH R )

* Insert a "trim" plugin underneath the fader with the fader's value, and set the fader to "unity".

* Have the transport "stop" when it reaches a marker.

* Trigger a series of "actions" (keyboard shortcuts) in series.

We've found that some features work best built-in, while others are well suited to scripts. Scripts work best in those cases where the user has to customize the behavior slightly for their specific needs.

There's also the chance to "prototype" advanced features as Lua scripts, which will later become full features.

If we find some good suggestions that can be implemented easily, we might get them into the v4.0 launch.

Of course, if you are interested in developing scripts yourself, we'd love to hear from you as well!

Best,
-Ben

I'd love to have some of the above scripts, especially to stop he transport at the next market.

The ability to 'reset' a channel or all channels would be nice for those times when you just want to start over with a mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-21-2017, 10:54 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: We are looking for your scripting ideas !

I think a lot can be found in the feature requests, there are many features some here would like but others would hate - that way everyone can customize their Mixbus further. You could start with Disable/Reenable all plugins in a track/group/session.

Someone could finally add a function which synchronises the leftmost fader on screen with the leftmost fader on the MCU - so that when I switch banks I see the respective channels on screen Tongue

Copy automation to another channel. (ok with MB4 one could use VCA to couple that)

Just my first thoughts...
MMM
Make a snapshot save when expirting with the exported filename as the snapshot name.

Typically I print many mixdowns and sometimes the best mix cannot be loaded since i either saved over the snapshot or forgot to make separate export specific snapshot Smile
1. Setting up bounce tracks, eg.

- Insert a "mix" track to record from the master buss, with the connections setup so that it goes straight out to the monitor section, muting already set up to avoid feedback loops etc. Great for quickly checking how a compressor or limiter is dealing with peaks.

- Setting up a bounce track, maintaining the grouping and routing info of the source and perhaps automagically bouncing, then mute or disable the source track. That would probably satisfy a lot of people who would like to see a freeze function.

- select multiple tracks and bounce down to a new track in one or two clicks (I recently did a song with 230 tracks of vocal harmonies in one section, the mucking about creating a dozen manageable stems was insane).

- Import a reference to a new track with the output already set up to route directly to the monitor section.

2. Assigning functions from multiple plugins to switch in or out in one click, or based on what you are doing (eg. oversampling in or out, depending on if you are mixing/editing or exporting).

3. Pop a plugin into multiple tracks at once. (put an eq plugin on every mixbus in one hit, or a deesser on multiple vocal tracks).

4. The last idea is not a scripting idea per se, but a gui to setup/modify scripts would be great. It shouldn't be complicated to use, just an action list like you find in many video editors or even simple wave editors like Audacity, where there is a list of functions and effects and chains of commands and you just point and click to build a list and enter any options. Save the script for future use. Done.
@thekoala: awesome ideas!

#2 is the main purpose of scripts: when you need to do something very specific for your needs. In your example, you could make a script that runs through each track's plugins, and if it recognizes the plugin name, switch the oversampling or quality settings as-needed. Cool!
I love the idea of switching oversampling on/off across all plugins, and would extend this to other plugins with 'eco/precise' settings etc.

I'd wish for a script to apply to a track, bus/mixbus, or session where you have a bunch of plugins on the tracks, but only some of them are 'on'/enabled. I'd want to turn off the currently-on ones (easy without a script) and then later turn back on only those that were originally on in the first place (not so easy).
@turningpedals: both of those should be possible with Lua scripts.

The first will require the user to tweak the script manually for their own plugins, as only the user will know which knobs correspond to oversampling/quality.

The second would be tricky. here's a wild idea: what if the script turned them all off, waited for a few seconds for you to audition the session without them, and then turned them back on?

Alternatively, you'd need 2 scripts: one that turns them off, and stashes the list of plugins in a file; and then you'd run a "second" script which loads that file to re-enable the plugs.
Hi

This may be easy, but anyway: I need to set all the tracks/channels in a given group inactive/active. I have several groups in one session(must have) but I work mainly with one group at a time. To reduse the DSP load and avoid XRUNs a script for this will be nice.

Steinar :-)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(01-23-2017, 04:47 AM)tmuikku Wrote: Make a snapshot save when expirting with the exported filename as the snapshot name.

Typically I print many mixdowns and sometimes the best mix cannot be loaded since i either saved over the snapshot or forgot to make separate export specific snapshot Smile

Auto-snapshot on export - I really like the idea, but I think that could rather be a feature in the export dialog than a script. Smile