Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible to send out from a Mixbus to another Mixbus?
I am wondering if I can send out to a Mixbus from another Mixbus.

The reason I want to do this is because I want to add reverb to a submix I assigned to a mixbus channel. I like to blend different signals and I like having one channel for a global reverb.
I know I can send from each channel from the mixer. The problem is that if I want to decrease the level at the Mixbus the reverb will still be getting signal and reverb won't go down with the signal...

I could group the mixbus fader together with the submix channels but if I turn it down it won't be hitting the tape saturation as hard anymore...

I can put a reverb plugin in that Mixbus channel but then I don't have a global reverb which helps with CPU usage...

It would be the easiest if there is an Aux send from the mixbus channel.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I figured it out...

Had to set up a bus channel and create an aux send in the redirect box.

Life is good again...
Just when I thought this was solved I came across an issue...

So I create a new Bus channel. I put in my reverb plugin in that bus channel. The bus channel is sending only to the Master bus.

I have my drums mixed down to Mixbus 1. I set up an Aux Send from Mixbus 1 to the reverb bus channel.
Then the "feedback" light starts to flash!

There is no feedback happening in this scenario.
Should I just ignore the flashing light?
Another problem...

It seemed like everything is okay when I set up the aux send from the mixbus channel. BUT... when I re-opened the session after saving and quitting, all the compressor meter lights were lit up on every mixbus channel and the meter on my midi channel pegged in the editor window. I can click on the midi channel meter and it goes to normal. I can't get the compressor meters on the mixbus channels to go back to normal.
When I hit play, I get no sound. I see the bar moving but no meters are moving and no sound.

When I remove the Bus channel, everything seems to go back to normal...

Is there some kind of cross-talk happening in the mixbusses?
Is it possible that at startup there is a loud enough pulse or "sound" going through the channels and causes the feedback? Maybe when I put in the Bus channel there isn't enough signal to get the actual feedback to happen...?
Just thinking out loud... :-)
When possible, we encourage people to avoid the "DAW" ways of working, and instead use the provided mixer summing engine. This will utilize the mixbus bussing and internal processing, and it will sound better with less effort.

In an analog console, you generally can't "send" from one bus to another. ( there are some exceptions, but they are fairly rare ).

One trick that you might not have considered is the ability to add a reverb post-fader ( most other DAWs can't do this). In the picture below, I've added a reverb ("MReverb") to a bus. Then I right-clicked on the reverb to expose the wet/dry control for the reverb. So I can adjust the reverb's wet/dry without opening the plugin's UI.

This puts the reverb post-saturation and post-fader, as you're looking for:

[Image: parallel-verb-setup.png]
(11-30-2016, 05:27 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: When possible, we encourage people to avoid the "DAW" ways of working, and instead use the provided mixer summing engine. This will utilize the mixbus bussing and internal processing, and it will sound better with less effort.

In an analog console, you generally can't "send" from one bus to another. ( there are some exceptions, but they are fairly rare ).

One trick that you might not have considered is the ability to add a reverb post-fader ( most other DAWs can't do this). In the picture below, I've added a reverb ("MReverb") to a bus. Then I right-clicked on the reverb to expose the wet/dry control for the reverb. So I can adjust the reverb's wet/dry without opening the plugin's UI.

This puts the reverb post-saturation and post-fader, as you're looking for:

Thanks Ben. I have considered this but I was hoping that I would only need to put one instance of a reverb and I can send all channels to the same reverb.

Any idea why my idea to do an Aux send causes the feedback light to flash and issues at startup?
I tried the method above but the reverb I use is very processor intensive and it quickly maxed out the DSP.

So I went back and created a bus channel and an Aux send from the mixbus channel again. This time I hit "allow feedback loop" which can be found when right clicking on the aux send and under "send options". It seems to be okay this way. I can close and open the project without any issues.
This way the DSP usage is waaaay lower and everything works like I want it...
(12-01-2016, 11:28 AM)Skydiver Wrote: I tried the method above but the reverb I use is very processor intensive and it quickly maxed out the DSP.

So I went back and created a bus channel and an Aux send from the mixbus channel again. This time I hit "allow feedback loop" which can be found when right clicking on the aux send and under "send options". It seems to be okay this way. I can close and open the project without any issues.
This way the DSP usage is waaaay lower and everything works like I want it...

Thank you for sharing this. I've been trying to figure out how to do the same this!

Maybe someone from Harrison will chime in, but I wonder:

Will the amount of "pre-delay" built into this method change as plugins are added or removed from the project?
Mixbus support gave me the following reason why the "feedback" light comes on: technically is caused by anything that prevents Mixbus from calculating a valid "graph" (for calculating the latency compensation)

If you use this method for reverb and delays, there shouldn't be an issue with hearing any latency issues on that channel. However, i don't know if it effects the calculation of plugins in other channels.

Support also told me that this is really just a "hack" and encourages users to use the method they outline. (which a is a problem for me...)
The "hack" may not be available in V4... But I think if we show enough interest in this they will keep it.

An idea I have is to create a new kind of bus channel for the Mixbus section. This would be for any parallel effects to add to the mixbus channels.
Hey did u try creating an "audio bus" then putting inserting the reverb on it?U can then assign it to a mixbus .since u can't pan the send to the audio bus in mb4 u can work around it by creating 2 mono audio bus then pan to the direction u want before sending tracks to them