Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Mixbus vs Mixbus32C
I just watched the promo for Mixbus32c on YouTube and it seems cool! Any of you guys going to switch from regular Mixbus over to this DAW? I am curious how much the recordings would differ between the already amazing Mixbus 3 and this new DAW they have made...

Any thoughts???

Cole
I haven't tried it yet, but it's going to be hard not to.

Based on what I can tell (without having actually run it yet), they've mostly changed the channel strip DSP, and possibly some of the other DSP (Master Limiter?, Saturation?). The marketing stuff implies it's more "analog-like", and more CPU intensive.

One could surmise that they have found it reasonable to port (for some definition of both "reasonable" and "port") their higher-end DSP to PCs, and have now done so. I could be way off. This DSP technology is what makes Harrison unique, and they clearly have been looking for (and finding) ways to make MB different based on that technology. So, to me, it makes sense to take MB3, add better DSP to it, and charge more for it.

Obviously, they've also added the 4 mix busses, which either is nice, or still isn't enough.
Feature-wise, it should be pretty much identical to "regular" MB3.
If I found the $ under the couch cushions I would probably buy it, but all I found was some unwrapped linted up Christmas candy. :-(
My Studio Specs

I track, edit and manage tracks in Studio One Pro V6/CbB. I try to always mix in Mixbus32C.

“It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.”
― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
Thanks for the information. I kind of skimmed the product page, but wasn't exactly sure what this brings to the table over Mixbus 3. I would love to hear some more reports of people that actually compared the two.

Cole
In 32c the bell EQs are wider and also the shelves are less steep. The filters have a slight resonance bump.

Overall I would maybe describe the EQs in the regular Mixbus as a more modern and surgical take, whereas the EQs in the 32c version are more a creative (tone shaping) tool.

Personally I like the EQs in 32c a lot. Smile
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
The next phase for Harrison: a hybrid whereas each channel could be "switched" as MB3 or MB32c?
My Studio Specs

I track, edit and manage tracks in Studio One Pro V6/CbB. I try to always mix in Mixbus32C.

“It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.”
Well, I didn't have much trouble paying $79 for Mixbus without trying it first, but I really cannot justify $299 without a thourough demo. Mixbus 32C looks veeeeeery cool and exciting, but without a demo or some sort of price reduction for returning costumers, I cannot give it a go.
(04-28-2016, 05:51 PM)Overmann Wrote: Well, I didn't have much trouble paying $79 for Mixbus without trying it first, but I really cannot justify $299 without a thourough demo. Mixbus 32C looks veeeeeery cool and exciting, but without a demo or some sort of price reduction for returning costumers, I cannot give it a go.

When you get the email (it takes some time I was 3 hours behind everyone) you will get a link for $149 (assuming you own MB3).
My Studio Specs

(04-28-2016, 05:52 PM)bapu Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 05:51 PM)Overmann Wrote: Well, I didn't have much trouble paying $79 for Mixbus without trying it first, but I really cannot justify $299 without a thourough demo. Mixbus 32C looks veeeeeery cool and exciting, but without a demo or some sort of price reduction for returning costumers, I cannot give it a go.

When you get the email (it takes some time I was 3 hours behind everyone) you will get a link for $149 (assuming you own MB3).

The price reduction also applies to the old 2.x version owners.
(04-28-2016, 05:52 PM)bapu Wrote:

Well, that changes things!Smile I guess I can afford $149. I thought I had all the software I needed, but I'll probably give this a whirl.