Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Should I join the call for latency compensated utility buses?
...the new drum character plugin seems to add a lot of latency and I would like to combine front- and back kick (phase corrected and eq-ed) into a kick utility bus which runs the xtools ds and and then goes into the drums-mixbus and the drums-slam (read parallel compression-) mixbus...
MM

P.S.: I will experiment further on the (in Australia) _long_ weekend...

(03-11-2016, 06:56 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: ...the new drum character plugin seems to add a lot of latency and I would like to combine front- and back kick (phase corrected and eq-ed) into a kick utility bus which runs the xtools ds and and then goes into the drums-mixbus and the drums-slam (read parallel compression-) mixbus...
MM

P.P.S.: but maybe it's much easier and will never need a parallel compression bus again, using the new plugin in the actual tracks? Let's see how the overall DSP toll is, exciting times Smile
Have you bought the plugin already? Man you are crazy. Since I have this type of processor like those Waves Cla drum jjp e.t.c I haven't even bother to try it. Not that I didn't like or like it but I have never used those waves signature tools in any track so I figured I might not be able to use also the Harrison version but the Gui getting dark with in 5 second also makes it hard for me to dial in and try it intensively. So I decided to leave it alone.
(03-11-2016, 06:56 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: ...the new drum character plugin seems to add a lot of latency and I would like to combine front- and back kick (phase corrected and eq-ed) into a kick utility bus which runs the xtools ds and and then goes into the drums-mixbus and the drums-slam (read parallel compression-) mixbus...
MM

[

P.P.S.: but maybe it's much easier and will never need a parallel compression bus again, using the new plugin in the actual tracks? Let's see how the overall DSP toll is, exciting times Smile

It definitely needs a different miking technique i think. I was getting great results with properly tuned kits to use an XY pair, not on the ceiling, but at chest level.

I guess it calls for close miking. since the settings for each drum will likely to be different. Formerly my favorite mike for close miking was de AKG 451 for everything : yes Kick too.

and after treatment will change too.

And lots of creative options. New instrument sounds

Regards
Frank

PS maybe for live work advance a click track for the drum monitor, so he does not play late ..

Will be happy to hear your experience.
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(03-11-2016, 07:49 AM)BHBstudio Wrote: Have you bought the plugin already? Man you are crazy.

As a subscription member at the special price this was a no-brainer. My quick tests showed it is as great as the video suggests. Clearly one can achieve the exactly same with "conventional" multing, compression and eq (probably introducing the same latency haha) - but using the tool is sooo much easier and time saving, not to mention the quick creation of totally new sounds as Frank mentions.

Cheers,
MMM

(03-11-2016, 08:10 AM)Frank Wrote: I guess it calls for close miking. since the settings for each drum will likely to be different.

Clearly close micing. But how about sending a Xylophone or a Marimba through it? Any percussive instrument for that matter... I'll send my Korg SP-170 through it yeah Smile

Cheers,
MMM
(03-11-2016, 07:49 AM)BHBstudio Wrote: Have you bought the plugin already? Man you are crazy.

Me too. I went to buy it while I was downloading 3.2, I was sold from the video.

I am on Linux though so what it offers (transient split eq Smile ) is pretty unique among the native plugins.

I think everyone should join the call for latency compensated utility buses Smile

The only halfway sane approach I've come up with in similar scenarios is to bounce the combined kick to a new audio track so I can use latency inducing plugins on it. Workflow is a bit ugly and I'm beginning to lean towards having a track preparation and mixing as two separate projects. Any speed benefit to Mixbus is gone if I do that though.

Some producers like to use a lot of drum samples, supplying a half dozen different kick tracks which they expect me to blend appropriately for different sections of the song. It's on ones like those where I disagree with Kevin Wards proclamation that Mixbus is a full featured daw.

There just isn't a sane workflow I can find to handle those and avoid latency issues. Of course it's not that sane to defer production decisions to mixing in the first place. I like how Mixbus pushes me towards sane working practices, but there are times when I want to do the insane and want it to help not hinder me.
Ok I have to confess. I just bought it right now. In fact the reason I did that was because of supporting the development. I know I'm not going to use it but If I don't support the Mixbus I love, who does. Plus I have a plan in the long run to have linux OS exclusively and when that day comes it might be handy also.
I have bought the harrison EQ the small one not the mastering long time ago but I have never used that thing in my life. Rather I use multi band compressor like EQ. I just did it just to support. Who knows it might be useful also. Actually I was about to ask Ben a momentary demo activation file but I figured why not just purchasing like I did the EQ. like MMM said it is a good offer for members also. let me see what it does now.
(03-11-2016, 07:05 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: As a subscription member at the special price this was a no-brainer. My quick tests showed it is as great as the video suggests. Clearly one can achieve the exactly same with "conventional" multing, compression and eq (probably introducing the same latency haha) - but using the tool is sooo much easier and time saving, not to mention the quick creation of totally new sounds as Frank mentions.

Cheers,
MMM

(03-11-2016, 08:10 AM)Frank Wrote: I guess it calls for close miking. since the settings for each drum will likely to be different.

Clearly close miking. But how about sending a Xylophone or a Marimba through it? Any percussive instrument for that matter... I'll send my Korg SP-170 through it yeah Smile

Cheers,
MMM

HMM will it retrigger on new notes ? how will it choose on chords? take the root of the cord ?

I have not been able to purchase it yet: something funny i the shop

Regards

Frank

back on mastering a recording: had to fight OSX for hours kept roaming about 99% kernel-tasks: child processes keep alive when the parent is killed and when it isa kernel task there seems no control: have to dive into that.
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
My conclusion over Drum character is this, It gives more realistic sound Drum in combination with EQ and compressor. To be honest I'm glad I bought it. No more fighting to get best sounding drum. Once I get close to what I need it to be, I will always will throw this baby on top of it and call it a day. Thank you Harrison for this lovely product.

Sorry MMM for hijacking your thread. Cheers
(03-12-2016, 01:31 PM)BHBstudio Wrote: My conclusion over Drum character is this, It gives more realistic sound Drum in combination with EQ and compressor.

Don't forget Dynomite for transient shaping Wink
(03-12-2016, 01:31 PM)BHBstudio Wrote: My conclusion over Drum character is this, It gives more realistic sound Drum in combination with EQ and compressor. To be honest I'm glad I bought it. No more fighting to get best sounding drum. Once I get close to what I need it to be, I will always will throw this baby on top of it and call it a day. Thank you Harrison for this lovely product.

Sorry MMM for hijacking your thread. Cheers

Asante !

Habari gani ! Et niambie

Thanks for the cheers ! I did expect : I cannot play yet

How where the drums miked?

Do you have any opinion about the delay ?
I have the feeling i can only use it on mix-down sessions, I think you have to make a separate monitor mix on a live like situation : and a separate monitor eq while studio recording. The drummer has to trust you : because what he hears and the result will be totally different

I remember using bass character live: on an electric bass : no preamp no cabinet, just a DI. I had quickly given him a monitor mix so he could tune etc.
Forgot about that , and i used bass character FOH. he went bezerk: so excited : i am playing a double bass now . It only worked on slow numbers.

Do not care about fake Australians about hijacking: as long as we talk about creative work

Happy to see you have a new real tool !

Kwa heri
Frank W. Kooistra