Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDI play back no output
A friend of mine sent me one of his MIDI files. After importing it to MB3.1 everything comes up on the record screen as it should. I hit play and on the record screen it show that the tracks are playing. But, there is no out put. If I go to the mixer screen it shows no levels at all. I'm not sure where or how to route these to the mixer for output. Any suggestions?

David
(03-01-2016, 09:51 PM)David Bloom Wrote: A friend of mine sent me one of his MIDI files. After importing it to MB3.1 everything comes up on the record screen as it should. I hit play and on the record screen it show that the tracks are playing. But, there is no out put. If I go to the mixer screen it shows no levels at all. I'm not sure where or how to route these to the mixer for output. Any suggestions?

David

Hi David,

MIDI itself contains no Audio. It only tells an instrument which notes to play. In order to listen to your friends' MIDI file you must insert a MIDI instrument which is fed from the MIDI stream Mixbus plays back. In the simplest case you can use an instrument plugin. You must also chose which virtual instrument the plugin should play (this is called a "patch") - or you may find yourself playing back a piano track on a tuba Big Grin
I believe there's a chapter about MIDI instruments in the manual.

Cheers,
MMM
(03-02-2016, 04:31 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(03-01-2016, 09:51 PM)David Bloom Wrote: A friend of mine sent me one of his MIDI files. After importing it to MB3.1 everything comes up on the record screen as it should. I hit play and on the record screen it show that the tracks are playing. But, there is no out put. If I go to the mixer screen it shows no levels at all. I'm not sure where or how to route these to the mixer for output. Any suggestions?

David

Hi David,

MIDI itself contains no Audio. It only tells an instrument which notes to play. In order to listen to your friends' MIDI file you must insert a MIDI instrument which is fed from the MIDI stream Mixbus plays back. In the simplest case you can use an instrument plugin. You must also chose which virtual instrument the plugin should play (this is called a "patch") - or you may find yourself playing back a piano track on a tuba Big Grin
I believe there's a chapter about MIDI instruments in the manual.

Cheers,
MMM

Thanks MMM for the help. I some how thought MB worked like Studio 1. Using Virtual Instruments. Thanks again !!!

David
There are virtual instruments, those are the plugins. It's just you have to assign one. If you need help in assigning one we can help I think so.
Same issue. It is not an absence of assigning an instrument. It just doesn't work, or you need a degree in midi electronics and routing. I have assigned an instrument. 32c virtual keyboard can control it and produce the sound, but as soon as you put in a midi track - for you geniuses out there who know everything but cant be bothered, a midi track is what the other side of the class class a "midi file". midi information.

Mixbus has no use for it. Cant read or translate it. Levels flying up and down, NO SOUNDS.

Any help? Dounbt it. Nobody cares at all.
I just tested by importing a .midi file from the net (Bohemian Rhapsody), the file plays just fine, I can change instruments on the channels and hear audio.
Make sure you are not set to input mode on the MIDI channel.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...rding-midi
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(09-01-2020, 06:24 AM)Dingo Wrote: I just tested by importing a .midi file from the net (Bohemian Rhapsody), the file plays just fine, I can change instruments on the channels and hear audio.
Make sure you are not set to input mode on the MIDI channel.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...rding-midi

Same here. Tested on my office computer.
MMM

(08-31-2020, 09:27 PM)trbjazz_69 Wrote: Any help? Dounbt it. Nobody cares at all.

Actually, a lot of people here do care.
How about you describe exactly what you have done so far, maybe some screenshots help, too.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths