Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UAD Plugin Issue
In the original 3.0 release, we had an issue with VST plugins (it affected both UAD and Plugin Alliance) where only the left channel was operating. We found the problem and resolved it in the 3.0-1508 update. I spoke with Tim at that time, and I sent him a message when we resolved it. But perhaps he thinks this is still the same issue.

I'll try the plugins on my UAD2 card, and see if I can recreate it here. Hopefully Tim is trying the same thing on his side (I'm sure they have a much wider range of hardware there). If either of us can recreate it, then we should be able to resolve it.

Best,
-Ben
First try, everything seems to work fine for me. I added 8 UAD plugins to various channels and buses and the GUI operates smoothly.

2009 Macbook Pro, Core2 Duo, Mac 10.6.8, Mixbus 3.1, UAD version7.1.0 build 3495

The only UAD-2 system we have is a PCIe card, so it goes in an older computer.

-Ben
(02-20-2016, 11:24 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: In the original 3.0 release, we had an issue with VST plugins (it affected both UAD and Plugin Alliance) where only the left channel was operating. We found the problem and resolved it in the 3.0-1508 update. I spoke with Tim at that time, and I sent him a message when we resolved it. But perhaps he thinks this is still the same issue.

I'll try the plugins on my UAD2 card, and see if I can recreate it here. Hopefully Tim is trying the same thing on his side (I'm sure they have a much wider range of hardware there). If either of us can recreate it, then we should be able to resolve it.

Best,
-Ben

(02-20-2016, 12:33 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: First try, everything seems to work fine for me. I added 8 UAD plugins to various channels and buses and the GUI operates smoothly.

2009 Macbook Pro, Core2 Duo, Mac 10.6.8, Mixbus 3.1, UAD version7.1.0 build 3495

The only UAD-2 system we have is a PCIe card, so it goes in an older computer.

-Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot for your attention to this matter.

I doubt that Tim from UAD is referring to that old bug, since I was very specific about the GUI problem we're facing now in my support request.

Considering the results you got in your test machine, it's probably something involving more recent version of UAD system/plugins. In my case, I was trying to use LA2A and Pultec collections, which are from what I've heard far more demanding that the stock versions that came standard with the bundled analog collection.

Can you tell us what were the plugins you've used in you first try? So I could recreate your scenario in my setup to try to get a hint. It wouldn't hurt if you could be so kind to contact Tim directly to see if we can get UAD involved too, though Wink

On a side note, I can say that we UAD users are thrilled with the perspective of using UAD plugins with Mixbus. You guys would be surprised with the attention that Mixbus got at the thread that I've started in UAD forum.

Anyway, thanks again for your attention, and let me tell you that I REALLY appreciate all the hard work you guys did to bring Mixbus 3.1 to it's current state. It's a great software by all means regardless of the bugs that I'm sure will be squashed.

I hope we can fix this for the next interim release.

All best,

Marcus
MacMini M1 16gb RAM - MacOS 13.6.6 - Apollo silver +  Apollo 16 silver w/Thunderbolt & Satellite OCTO Thunderbolt - SSL UF8/UC1 - Softube Console 1/Fader - UAD v11.2 - Mixbus 10 Pro ARM
Hi Marcus,

Here's a screenshot of my mixer setup. GUIs work smoothly for me, when I open them.

(02-20-2016, 02:16 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Hi Marcus,

Here's a screenshot of my mixer setup. GUIs work smoothly for me, when I open them.

Hi Ben,

I've created a session much like yours(one stereo audio track, 4 mixbusses and master track, audio track routed to miixbus 1), loaded the same plugins and in fact experienced no glitches in the GUI, which ran smoothly as you said. After that, I've loaded the plugins that were causing glitches in my session(LA2A collection) to see how it goes and still no glitches.

So it led me to suspect that the problem we're experiencing can be related with system load. You see, your test session is far from a real word mix scenario: just one stereo track with 2 plugins, routed to one mixbus with 2 plugins, to master with 3 plugins, using no internal eq/comp or tape saturation. The other 3 mixbusses aren't even receiving audio, as far as I could see.

The session I'm experiencing problems with(screenshot attached) is a mix of a full rock band, with 14 audio tracks using internal eq/comp, 3 aux fx sends with plugins(not mixbusses) using internal eq, 6 active mixbusses using tape saturation, and master with limiter and tape saturation. In that scenario, even if I load a single UAD 1176 legacy in one track the GUI gets sluggish. And not just the plugin GUI, mixbus GUI also suffers until I close the plugin GUI.

But I can see no reason for that, cause my system load isn't getting close to 20%(UAD DSP, processors or RAM).

I went further investigating this as to create a new clean user and installed Mixbus and UAD from scratch and the problem persist, so I think there's probably no other system variable involved here.

So if you could be so kind as to try it out with a more loaded session like mine I think you'll see what we're experiencing.

Hope this help and just let me know if I can be more helpful somehow.

All Best,

Marcus

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

MacMini M1 16gb RAM - MacOS 13.6.6 - Apollo silver +  Apollo 16 silver w/Thunderbolt & Satellite OCTO Thunderbolt - SSL UF8/UC1 - Softube Console 1/Fader - UAD v11.2 - Mixbus 10 Pro ARM
@marcusadv: what does the DSP% meter indicate? You'll find it displayed in the bottom-right corner of the editor window.
(02-20-2016, 04:16 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @marcusadv: what does the DSP% meter indicate? You'll find it displayed in the bottom-right corner of the editor window.

In the ballpark of 17% getting to a maximum of 22% in the busy part of the mix.
@Ben,

Any news from the front? Did you get to create a more complex Mixbus session to replicate the problem we're experiencing with UAD and Mixbus 3.1?

Following up in my last chat with UAD support, I told Tim about your request for some UAD hardware test and his response was as follow:

"Tim (Universal Audio)

Feb 24, 6:02 PM

Hello,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Ben has a direct line of communication with our Engineering team and he is free to contact us directly regarding this issue.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Harrison Mixbus and hope that Ben and our Engineering team can find a direct resolution to this bug."

So, it seems that the ball is with you guys again, and I really hope this can be sorted out soon.

See ya
(02-25-2016, 09:29 PM)marcusadv Wrote: @Ben,

Any news from the front? Did you get to create a more complex Mixbus session to replicate the problem we're experiencing with UAD and Mixbus 3.1?

Following up in my last chat with UAD support, I told Tim about your request for some UAD hardware test and his response was as follow:

"Tim (Universal Audio)

Feb 24, 6:02 PM

Hello,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Ben has a direct line of communication with our Engineering team and he is free to contact us directly regarding this issue.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Harrison Mixbus and hope that Ben and our Engineering team can find a direct resolution to this bug."

So, it seems that the ball is with you guys again, and I really hope this can be sorted out soon.

See ya

Wow.... took 3 days for any response to my initial post and then it took off...... Glad to see it did. Ben.... I'm anxious like Marcus to find out any headway on this. I agree with Marcus on the fact that the session need to be pretty track heavy to get the result we are getting.

Thanks,

Wayne
Sad 
i confirm that problem also with other plugin brands.
i also own an Eventide Ultra Channel, this one is not loaded by Mixbus at all. Tried to instal newer version, but nothing happen

(02-19-2016, 11:39 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Are you showing all the GUI windows, when this happens, or just one GUI?

Unfortunately we have very limited ability to troubleshoot a problem like that. Even if it is our fault, we have no idea how UAD makes their plugin windows, or what libraries they use, or what might cause a "slowdown". You will be best served by contacting UAD, I think.

-Ben