Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MB2 Petition
DISCLAIMER: First of all, let me point out that i am no trouble maker. I would just like to see the further development of a great piece of software; Mixbus v2.
I know of the advancements of v3 (I recently did seven children's songs with it), But upon finishing the songs, i then imported the stereo files into MBv2 and rendered them.
I then gave a cd of both versions of each song to my business partner and in all, but one instance, he chose MBv2 (without knowing which he was listening to) and the reason why he chose MBv3 in that one instance is simply because he thought that the nature of the song called for a brighter sound.
I need MB v2 to be at least multicore, with some tweaks here and there, so if you all agree with me, let your voices be heard.
Please understand that i am not attacking harrison in anyway, they are great and a blessing to us all

Jouvert
Mixbus/Windows- VST Plugins
Umm as far as I know, Ardour 3 was rewritten from scratch to accomodate multicore and more. Ardour 4 and therefore Mixbus 3 build on the Ardour 3 base. So, with Harrison's resources in mind, I doubt there will be a rewrite of v2. Correct me if I'm wrong.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
you are quite correct, i am no computer expert (just enough to help myself) so i have no clue as to how hard it will be to implement these upgrades in MB2, but i just thought that i would nibble a bit at harrison's heals to see if anything could be done at all.
Would it have been so hard to build MB3 on the new Ardour base and still preserve the original Mb2 sound? because what i miss most is the sound.

Jouvert
The relevant source code is still available to anyone who wants it. A sufficiently skilled and motivated person could probably change v2 code to support multiple cores. You could ask one of the open-source developers how much they might charge for that work. Personally I think this is very, very impractical.

Regarding sound, there was a significant change in the channelstrip "compressor" and "limiter" modes. ( "Leveler" mode was left unchanged ). If you utilized those modes in v2, then you will hear a difference in the sound. Otherwise there should be no difference, so I think any perceived difference is either caused by differences in the mix, or just random variations (such as the order that the listener heard the tracks).

Best,
-Ben
Ben, I thought the actual Mixbus code (mixing and fx engines) are proprietary?
Linux throughout!

I think Jouvert started the Petition thread to convince Harrison to finish MB2 that is a great console emulation. 99% ready.
Surely we do not want in this topic to discuss how to pay anyone to develop it for us and whether it is hacking or legal.

Harrison I think is sufficiently skilled to do the task if he thinks so. MB2 works for me on Win7/64 great with one core.
If it stays one core who cares, it works but has something to be corrected and finished.
I this petition I would rather call Harrison attention to a few small things like this zoom issue in 2.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gskMGFhu...e=youtu.be

to fix. (I found it fixed in V3 so you already know how to)

There are some more, that do not need any third party expert to solve, even Ben does not suggest it to do according to my understanding.

But this rising the possibility of hiring someone to do multycore and then chewing on it as real "save our life" I really cannot understand

Harrison has a lot hardware consoles and not only one and the one's "upgrades". All for different purposes.

It should be understood that MB2 has a certain purpose, grat in it, and V3 has another purpose, much wider. They are different!

So why not have two great and finished Harrison console emulations? MB2,5 would need some months V3 some years to finish. Why I am sure of it? Because I have been using MB2 for 3 years, much simpler than V3 and still not finished!

I spent mixing only in MB2 more than 4000 hours, (+2500 in others) yes you see it well! So those striving for the latest tooshpaste and the newest detergent... please do not tell me that MB 2 is over and "we" just want the newest V3 version.
And during those long hours there were lots of bugs but was no blog, only email, and Ben was the greatest support I ever met.

It is a shame that only some of us (2 here) stand beside MB2 and ask Harrison not to throw it in the trash.
MB2.5 is the FIRST great sounding console emulation ever created! Be proud of it and finish it, please.

Tassy
Haha Tassy, that raises the request for renaming and having two products being sold and supported at the same time... Mixbus Classic and Mixbus Edge or so. It's a resources problem. To do so they would have to hire and pay at least 1 dedicated developer. With officially supporting / fixing MB 2.5 the demands will grow...
You still can use MB 2.5 with the same product key, on the same or multiple machines, even simultaneosly, you can even use the new plugins with it, so you don't miss out on the goodies. Try that with any other DAW. So I understand Ben's point. I also believe he loves all "his children", all Mixbus versions Smile
MMM
Linux throughout!

Ben, you mentioned the impracticality of MBv2. I wonder if you would not mind elaborating on that statement.
I know you say that the sound is the same, but my ears hear them differently.
When i first discovered mixbus and found out about its pedigree and the various artistes who recorded and mixed on it, such as the one who thrilled us in the eighties (especially on the duet), i immediately started comparing the sound of those albums (not CD, but the vinyl version) to the DAW and i don't think i was fooling myself, but i could hear the same sound of the attenuated highs and the way the console rounded out the mid range of the vocals especially. I think that that was the main reason also why they could have taken liberties in mixing snare sounds so loud, because the console and by extension; the DAW was able to "absorb" the sound.
I do not get the same feeling in MBv3. In fact, this is the first time since using a harrison DAW, that i find my self having to attenuate the high end of the vocals and this was a red flag for me.
I am no big time sound engineer, but i have thirty five years of classic music training under my belt, so i could at least listen critically
Jouvert
We need a Mixbus Harrison 3.1. maybe 3.2 but not a Mixbus2.
What i want is for MB2 to become the new mixbus 3.2

Jouvert