Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrison sounds different - doesn't it?
Hi all,

Thought this would make a change to talking about bugs for a bit. Haha. Anyway.

I personally find that my mixes sound more open and analogue with Harrison compared to my other main DAW. However, I found this article the other day:

https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHel..._audio.htm

Basically says that all DAWs sound the same. Its coming from the makers of Fruity Loops I think, which may have been part of the whole sound quality bashing a while back. So the article may have an agenda. But I was wondering what Harrison make of all this, or you guys. After all the main attraction of the Mixbus is the sound.

I mean even without any compressors or tape saturation on does Mixbus sound different? I think the summing sounds superior. However, are my ears playing tricks on me?
All DAWS sounds the same (if you don't use an FX or touch an EQ) but harrison's fx are some of the best ever. Everyone has several EQ. But we cannot compare AU's EQ with Waves or Harrison's. Apple's AU are basic, but Harrison's, Waves, or Acustica Audio are great. Don't know why, as i'm not an engineer.Some plugins sounds great other sounds poorly.
I did a blind test with my wife on a sum of her singing a couple of tracks with harmonies.
All effects off, no panning, no EQ. She choose 10 of 10 (more than me actually) for Mixbus vs. Logic.

On voice recordings done with excellent mics (here it was Bock 241) it shows a lot.
But also if you just drag a bunch of tracks into it, the effect is like it was in analogue times: You push up the faders and smile Smile

I have never ever experienced this with logic- I use it since Notator times and consider myself as a fanboy.
Whenever i dragged Audio into it for mixing, the first thought was: What is wrong here?
Leading to the concept, that what was normal to me in earlier times is just not possible with a native DAW (it was better with PT on DSPs)

To me Mixbus is a big relief and a complete different approach to mixing with a Computer.
What helps a lot on top of that is the intuitive GUI with almost everything needed at hand, especially when working with griffin Powermate...
Man- I have never been closer to the times on a Neve (sorry Harrison, but I lack on experience with your hardware...)- no kidding.

I dont care what the maths say, I do care what my clients and my ears say.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
Hi,

I don't think some DAW's sound bad, but rather bad practice sounds bad.
So even with the most rudimental of DAW's (like n-track maybe?) it should be possible to make outstanding mixes. BUT I also believe it's a lot easier if the DAW itself helps. By providing a commonly used signal flow resembling working on analog desks and tape for example, and of coarse ,also good emulation of analogue behaviour of those.

Also Harrison has loads of experience in building top tier digital mixingdesks, so I suppose they know how to compile a few good plugins/emulatios Wink

Benny
The sound is different from DAW to DAW, some cares and some doesn't...

Ardour vs Mixbus 2.5

MIXBUS 2.5

STUDIO ONE V3

Other Daws

With a simple word. If you know the difference sound between other DAWs and Harrison, I believe it is a sign of class. The funny thing is, You don't do too much stuff in Mixbus.
(07-13-2015, 04:44 AM)benny van de locht Wrote: I don't think some DAW's sound bad
I thought that, too. Thats why I compare before I mix.
Another example:
Do a recording session with a band and make a cue mix without anything, only the sum of the inputs. What do you feel? What do the musicians feel?

What opened my mind here was not Mixbus, it was Metric Halo, its hard to describe, but to me the cue mixes there sounded more real.
I spent lots of times in studios doing recordings, so I think i know a bit what I'm talking about.

Probably anyone who did analog recordings knows those situations, where the rough mix for the sessions had more balls than the final mix.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
(07-13-2015, 04:15 AM)wolfo Wrote: I mean even without any compressors or tape saturation on does Mixbus sound different?

Try doing a null test. I exporting an audio file in Mixbus, then in Ardour 4. I used no processing in either. I then imported both onto the timeline in Ardour, made sure they were sycned, then inverted the phase of the first track (Mixbus export) to see if they nulled. They don't null, meaning there is a difference, even before you start engaging EQs and compressors.

(07-13-2015, 05:00 AM)himhui Wrote: The sound is different from DAW to DAW, some cares and some doesn't...

There can be various reasons for this. For example a default export in Mixbus normalises the audio. You need to make sure all these variables are accounted for.

Beyond a file vs file comparison, there are also other things that can make a difference in a full mix such as pan laws. This doesn't mean it sounds different as such but can affect how you perceive mixing in one DAW vs another.

Mixbus is unique in doing what it does though. In general, unless you start adding processing to a DAW, they should sound the same.
(07-13-2015, 05:02 AM)BHBstudio Wrote: With a simple word. If you know the difference sound between other DAWs and Harrison, I believe it is a sign of class. The funny thing is, You don't do too much stuff in Mixbus.

I don't know is MB3 sounds better than Logic if I don't use a single FX but i'm sure MB3 has been made for people like me: LAZY people. Costs 1 buck, no activation nothing to do, I clic on an FX and its sounds great. don't know why and I don't care. I don't need 1 hundred plugins anymore, I have audio/midi/video on a single DAW and it's fine.

Perfect DAW for Lazy people
Opposite to reaper and I'm happy with this.
Hi,

I didn't say "I think HM doesn't sound better than other DAW's", but rather these days most serious DAW's should be usable to make a good record.

I DO believe it sounds better actually, you know from experience, I don't have that many experience yet. But my intuition says that it is set up the way I like, it sounds superb to me, no better place to be than with a company that has a splendid reputation in analog AND digital consoles.
Of coarse you powerusers know, but not everyone on this forum does (there's really a lot I don't know already)
Also let's not forget, MB runs on a computer, so that makes it maybe...digital?
I think it's absolutely fantastic!

I believe it's the best from both worlds, but don't like to talk in terms of good or bad regarding to other software.

Just my opinion,

Benny