Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
running Mixbus 10 on pulseaudio crazy cpu spikes
I know I know I also hate pulseaudio , but on my laptop there is no workaround I can find to use my bluetooth headphones. It works fine for every application (including reaper and bitwig) but not for Mixbus. When I try to playback, the audio stutters and cpu shows 100%. When I switch back to alsa (which stops bluetooth and cuts off all other audio streams) the cpu drops back to 35 %

Any advice on this? 

Using ubuntu 22.04

Wishing I could already move to pipewire, but had problems with running my ssl audio interface (random disconnects)
(05-20-2024, 03:51 PM)calimerox Wrote: I know I know I also hate pulseaudio , but on my laptop there is no workaround I can find to use my bluetooth headphones. It works fine for every application (including reaper and bitwig) but not for Mixbus. When I try to playback, the audio stutters and cpu shows 100%. When I switch back to alsa (which stops bluetooth and cuts off all other audio streams) the cpu drops back to 35 %

Any advice on this? 

Using ubuntu 22.04

Wishing I could already move to pipewire, but had problems with running my ssl audio interface (random disconnects)

Keep PA, run Jack with the pajack module and connect MB via Jack. To do so, pause pa, load Jack, un-pause pa. I have a little pre- and after- script which I run automatically in qjackctl, can send to you when back home.
Bitwig should run through Jack also, thus you have a much better interconnectivity between Bitwig and Mixbus if desired.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(05-20-2024, 05:34 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 03:51 PM)calimerox Wrote: I know I know I also hate pulseaudio , but on my laptop there is no workaround I can find to use my bluetooth headphones. It works fine for every application (including reaper and bitwig) but not for Mixbus. When I try to playback, the audio stutters and cpu shows 100%. When I switch back to alsa (which stops bluetooth and cuts off all other audio streams) the cpu drops back to 35 %

Any advice on this? 

Using ubuntu 22.04

Keep PA, run Jack with the pajack module and connect MB via Jack. To do so, pause pa, load Jack, un-pause pa. I have a little pre- and after- script which I run automatically in qjackctl, can send to you when back home.
Bitwig should run through Jack also, thus you have a much better interconnectivity between Bitwig and Mixbus if desired.
MMM

Not very elegant, but works.

pulse-jack-pre-start.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
pacmd suspend true

pulse-jack-post-start.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2
pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2
pacmd set-default-sink jack_out
pacmd set-default-source jack_in
/usr/bin/a2jmidid -e &
sleep 2

pulse-jack-pre-stop.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash
SINKID=$(pactl list | grep -B 1 "Name: module-jack-sink" | grep Module | sed 's/[^0-9]//g')
SOURCEID=$(pactl list | grep -B 1 "Name: module-jack-source" | grep Module | sed 's/[^0-9]//g')
pactl unload-module $SINKID
pactl unload-module $SOURCEID
sleep 5
killall a2jmidid
sleep 2
killall jackd

pulse-jack-post-stop.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash
pacmd suspend false

You might want to comment a2jmidid out when you use Bitwig - because Bitwig has its own idea of handling Midi devices :/

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
wonderful, thank you so much for the scripts! 

I will try them right now. I was out of the studio this week but now back on it.. 

I already run jack again and with Mixbus , I still have the issue that in immersive mixing mode the cpu just goes wild and i get tons of xruns . I will have to investigate on the OS side as well. 

So running one track in Mixbus10 with the immersive panner gives me 80% cpu load, with xruns.

Compared with running fairlight in davinci with 30 tracks, reaper ambisonics session with tons of tracks and plugins, or bitwig, it is just too cpu hungry for my system  to work smoothly.  

PS:
Code:
Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
    CPU family:          6
    Model:              165
    Thread(s) per core:  2
    Core(s) per socket:  6