Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immersive Mixing
As v10 rolls out I thought I might kick off with a few notes about approaching an Immersive / Atmos mix (Demo + Pro Tier only).

To get started here is a direct link to the Immersive section of the v10 manual

Signal Flow:

Basically the signal flow for the Atmos panner is that it splits off at the same place as the Stereo Pan (Mono CH) or Balance (Stereo CH+Mixbuses)
It is post Fader, Post EQ and Post Dynamics.
The Stereo Panner has no effect on the Immersive panner and vice versa.
There has been some discussion about being able to copy / paste stereo pans into Immersive panner.
The Immersive panner is capable of 'panning' either side of a stereo channel or bus - it is not a balance control as such.
Each Channel (mono or stereo) or Mixbus that is assigned to the Immersive panner becomes a mono or stereo 'object' going into the Dolby Renderer.

Getting started:

What I have found to be the most effective approach is to do my Stereo mix, then save and create a new snapshot.

To engage Immersive Mixing go Session / Immersive Panning and check the box.
This will then reveal the Atmos Master Bus strip and allow the Immersive panners to function.

Generally I will start by working off the Mixbusses, typically adding a bit of height to vocals as well as bringing them into the room a bit (panning towards the side / rear walls).
To get more height out of the drums I might do the same, but take the Drum Overheads out of the Mixbusses and assign them to Immersive so I can open them right up / out without taking the whole kit.

With Bass guitar or kick I might do the same but also add some size to them, giving spread across the front whilst also creating a low frequency kick for anyone using bass enhancement in their decode chain.

In some cases I have also started first up doing the Immersive mix first as the destination will be for Cinema / Streaming so the stereo mix is no longer as important.
I do however rely on using Mixbusses to combine say most of a kit or guitars etc to be able to compress as one element before then assigning to Immersive.
It is hard going back to stereo mix after you have opened up a mix in Immersive. The experience is very interesting.
The extra space allows for much more clarity of elements in a mix.
The old rules on mono and stereo mixing - in an attempt to stop muddy mixes - do not seem to apply as much with Atmos.

A few rules:

A Channel cannot be assigned to Immersive and Mix Bus 1 thru 8 at the same time.
This rule was added because it was too easy to double assign (the two paths have different delay times) to the Immersive Bus via a channel plus a Mix Bus.
The rule does not apply to Mixbus 9-12.
If you do double assign a pop-up will ask you if you want to automatically de-assign.

Exporting:

When you create an adm.wav master, every individual object (channel or bus) is rendered into the container (multichannel Broadcast wave ) as a post fader, post EQ and post Dynamics mono track.

Each object has timestamped metadata embedded that determines the static / dynamic placement within the listening space (X,Y&Z) plus size.

The Dolby spec calls for the delivery of a multichannel (object / bed) mix and a binaural in the same container... (adm.wav) .
That way the end user's replay chain determines what version will play and the decoder will determine (based on end user speakers) just how the spatial mix is translated.

A good track for testing Immersive is:

Bernard Purdie Shuffle https://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.co..._season/7/ the track is one drum kit with a lot of microphones and a good drummer.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
So thank you Dingo for sharing. Your approach is not very far from my way of doing it, allways nice to hear what others do within the format.
By the way: Apple specified -18LUFS (longterm over the whole track) at -1dBTP for their Atmos: Make sure not to folow that -20LUFS suggestion in the manual, your mixes will sound less loud than others and we all now how human hearing works... I think this should be mentioned in the manual as it is the first step when ramping up that Atmos game. I personally aim at arround between -18,5 and -18 LUFS and make a whole album sound consistent loud as allways (therefore slightly different LUFS values are possible, I just match loudness by listening as the measurement is a nice hint, but not allways exactly right).

and I must say: that trim knob is soooo well thought off.. In my other DAW I do Atmos ever since I have to use an extra Plugin for this function, which is very much needed.. So thank you Harrison for making life easier.

*edit* another addition:
I hope they very soon add that 7.1.2 Bed option as some labels I work with do allways want that in their ADMBWFs and some artists do not want their vocals on a seperate object (it is sometimes even in the contract), so Doing music with those labels/artists will not be possible using mixbus as long as there is no bed possible... (and okay, that only applies to some major releases).

*edit again*
I can't find if there is any option for a Surround-Bus, which could be very handy (even for music) when you want to use any surround-revebs (such as Strato 3D or Symphony 3D). Is that in or another feature for my whishlist for future Mixbus updates?
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Awesome!
Just what I needed to get started with this new mixing paradigm!

Dingo, You're the BEST!

Cheers!
Patrick