Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Sound at all 220.4 Ubuntu studio SOLVED
Hi
Thank for the replies,
There is now only one sound card, The ssl2.
I get sound when I reboot the SSL then  minutes later sound stops.

Volume control shows chrome playing and then sound cuts out but stream still showing in
Carla and volume thing as playing..

What can cut the sound out after a few mins?

Thanks for the help
Linux for years!
Ubuntu studio 22.04 LTS  Mixbus 32C  V9
Dell Precision  T3600  8 core 64gb ram.
(04-18-2024, 11:30 AM)wavesound Wrote: Hi
Thank for the replies,
There is now only one sound card, The ssl2.
I get sound when I reboot the SSL then  minutes later sound stops.

Volume control shows chrome playing and then sound cuts out but stream still showing in
Carla and volume thing as playing..

What can cut the sound out after a few mins?

Thanks for the help

Are you running on Alsa only when that happens?
What happens when you put on the other ssl as a sole sound card?
Are the SSL USB powered or do they have their own power supply?
Have you tried a different USB port? Or a powered USB hub?
Which volume control are you talking about? PulseAudio?
Which stream are you watching in Carla? Isn't Carla Jack-only? (I don't use it, I'm happy with qjackctl)
Can you put your ssl onto another computer and see if it drops out there?
Or boot the computer as live system from your Ubuntu stick?

But again and first of all: if your computer has onboard sound (and these days all of them have) - try this out *first*.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Hi All
I ran AV Linux live USB and the sound started and then cut out so it's not a ubuntu thing.

In Alsamixer I have the following after rebooting and resetting bios due to a UEFI error.

I Now have:

-            (default)
Default:0      HDA Intel PCH
Default:1       HDA Nvidia
Default:2      SSL 2              ( All alsamixer shows for this car is: 0.0  <Extension Unit> )
F4 For this car gives:  This sound device has no capture controls.

The SSL 2 is usb bus powered ( Was asked this on the site)

Pulse control shows output and chrome working ( Youtube)

Carla is showing pulse in and out connected as it should be.
Jack master is the USB mixer Jack backend is ALSA 48K and 1024 buffer as it always has been.

jack sink is showing output as normal.

I had to reload the Gnome desktop last week due to the black screen cursor problem and since then I have had this.
But  as I tried AV Linux and it happened I don't think it's that.

Totally stumped here.

Any Ideas? Thank you all.
Linux for years!
@wavesound -

I installed the latest version of AVLinux - AVL-MXE 23.2 (20240405) on my 2012 Dell Precision M4600 (i7 Quad w/ 16GB RAM)
about a week ago and installed Mixbus Pro this week. With no tweaking whatsoever Pro worked as expected and continues to do so.

I've been following your situation and admit that, if it were happening to me, that I would be raging right now.
But, unless you just happened to download a corrupted package, I can perceive no part of the V10 product that would cause you such pain.
The "voice-in-my-head" is suggesting that you're having a conflict in your target setup, meaning, with Jack and all the other things that you're
trying to integrate. YES, they SHOULD all play together but I haven't read yet that you've broken it down to a step-by-step signal path
troubleshooting. My recommendation is to focus on getting your input signal (mic, guitar, whatever) thru your audio interface and into
Mixbus. If you have an issue with Mixbus not working properly with that simple setup then you're just wasting time with everything else.

On your side,

Patrick

Afterthought: Could you possibly post a block diagram of your intended setup? That might help us to work the issue remotely.
(04-20-2024, 01:07 PM)wavesound Wrote: Hi All
I ran AV Linux live USB and the sound started and then cut out so it's not a ubuntu thing.

In Alsamixer I have the following after rebooting and resetting bios due to a UEFI error.

I Now have:

-            (default)
Default:0      HDA Intel PCH
Default:1       HDA Nvidia
Default:2      SSL 2              ( All alsamixer shows for this car is: 0.0  <Extension Unit> )
F4 For this car gives:  This sound device has no capture controls.

The SSL 2 is usb bus powered ( Was asked this on the site)

Pulse control shows output and chrome working ( Youtube)

Carla is showing pulse in and out connected as it should be.
Jack master is the USB mixer Jack backend is ALSA 48K and 1024 buffer as it always has been.

jack sink is showing output as normal.

I had to reload the Gnome desktop last week due to the black screen cursor problem and since then I have had this.
But  as I tried AV Linux and it happened I don't think it's that.

Totally stumped here.

Any Ideas? Thank you all.

So you reinstalled Gnome? And perhaps did a system update?
Can it, by chance, be that that has sneaked Pipewire onto your system? Which of course interferes and destroys your configuration. I had that crap with upgrade to Debian 12, it didn't even notify me about it!

Cheers, MMM
Linux throughout!

(04-20-2024, 03:24 PM)PBuryk Wrote: @wavesound -

I installed the latest version of AVLinux - AVL-MXE 23.2 (20240405) on my 2012 Dell Precision M4600 (i7 Quad w/ 16GB RAM)
about a week ago and installed Mixbus Pro this week. With no tweaking whatsoever Pro worked as expected and continues to do so.

I've been following your situation and admit that, if it were happening to me, that I would be raging right now.
But, unless you just happened to download a corrupted package, I can perceive no part of the V10 product that would cause you such pain.
The "voice-in-my-head" is suggesting that you're having a conflict in your target setup, meaning, with Jack and all the other things that you're
trying to integrate. YES, they SHOULD all play together but I haven't read yet that you've broken it down to a step-by-step signal path
troubleshooting. My recommendation is to focus on getting your input signal (mic, guitar, whatever) thru your audio interface and into
Mixbus. If you have an issue with Mixbus not working properly with that simple setup then you're just wasting time with everything else.

On your side,

Patrick

Afterthought:    Could you possibly post a block diagram of your intended setup? That might help us to work the issue remotely.

Hi All I did as you've all mentioned I removed all usbs,as this didn't work I fired up my old thinkpad (Ubuntu) Guess what!!!! It was the SSL failing (2 months old)

Really!! as I looked on amazon where I bought it quite a few neg comments on there.I have now borrowed a IK AXE one ( never heard of them and works like a charm!!!)

Will never use SSL again. Trawling through the net for  a new interface, linux compatible. I don't need all singing and dancing just a few nice inputs and well, works. Scarlet looking good at moas long as i can turn of the air mode.Thank you all for your help.

Cheers Bob
Linux for years!
(04-21-2024, 03:24 PM)wavesound Wrote: Hi All I did as you've all mentioned I removed all usbs,as this didn't work I fired up my old thinkpad (Ubuntu) Guess what!!!! It was the SSL failing (2 months old)

Good to hear you resolved it!

(04-21-2024, 03:24 PM)wavesound Wrote: Will never use SSL again. Trawling through the net for  a new interface, linux compatible. I don't need all singing and dancing just a few nice inputs and well, works. Scarlet looking good at moas long as i can turn of the air mode.Thank you all for your help.

The irony... Mixbus is SSL now, too!  Big Grin
For an interface: I'm using a Motu Ultralight AVB together with a Behringer ADA8200 for a total of 16 I/O.
The charme of it is, that the device runs a webserver for its internal DSP and through the Ethernet port this is available netwide in your network. That means you can monitor through hardware with a complete DSP mixer with EQ, Gate, Reverb, Compressor..., and the talents can have their own cue mix on their phones or tablets or what ever they bring. Saves a personal monitoring system.
I don't know if Motu still make them and you need to make sure you can "downgrade" the firmware as later firmware versions violate class compatibility and don't run with Linux - ask me for the latest working version if you want to go that way.

Another option would be using a digital mixer as an interface, I had a Qu32 for a while and was happy with it. Now I have a Soundcraft UI24R for my hardware synths, which works a charm there, too. And again has a web interface Smile

Cheers, MMM
Linux throughout!

(04-21-2024, 05:41 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(04-21-2024, 03:24 PM)wavesound Wrote: Hi All I did as you've all mentioned I removed all usbs,as this didn't work I fired up my old thinkpad (Ubuntu) Guess what!!!! It was the SSL failing (2 months old)

Good to hear you resolved it!

(04-21-2024, 03:24 PM)wavesound Wrote: Will never use SSL again. Trawling through the net for  a new interface, linux compatible. I don't need all singing and dancing just a few nice inputs and well, works. Scarlet looking good at moas long as i can turn of the air mode.Thank you all for your help.

The irony... Mixbus is SSL now, too!  Big Grin
For an interface: I'm using a Motu Ultralight AVB together with a Behringer ADA8200 for a total of 16 I/O.
The charme of it is, that the device runs a webserver for its internal DSP and through the Ethernet port this is available netwide in your network. That means you can monitor through hardware with a complete DSP mixer with EQ, Gate, Reverb, Compressor..., and the talents can have their own cue mix on their phones or tablets or what ever they bring. Saves a personal monitoring system.
I don't know if Motu still make them and you need to make sure you can "downgrade" the firmware as later firmware versions violate class compatibility and don't run with Linux - ask me for the latest working version if you want to go that way.

Another option would be using a digital mixer as an interface, I had a Qu32 for a while and was happy with it. Now I have a Soundcraft UI24R for my hardware synths, which works a charm there, too. And again has a web interface Smile

Cheers, MMM

Hi
Thanks for this, Must be my Luck but I used anX32 Rack about a year old ( had the mixer for years). Then the usb and ethernet stopped working. It's away for repair at the moment.
I thought just get the SSL.
Then I got the black screen on login so re-installed the desktop. No Joy. I now the the tascam 1608 which causes jack to fail to start.
I think I'll bite the bullet and reinstall a new OS.
Cheers for all your help.

Can I be this unlucky.
Cheers
Linux for years!