Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record input seems to be recording from Mixbus input AND Hardware input.
(04-17-2024, 09:27 AM)mande95747@yahoo.com Wrote: Ofr everyone who assumes I'm having some sort of monitoring issue - I am in no way referring to monitoringI'M NOT TALKING ABOUT WHAT I'M HEARING - I'M TALKING ABOUT WHAT'S RECORDING.

It seems like it's bypassing the input channel in Mixbus32C, and recording directly from the SSL 12 INPUT to the TRACK. 
I shut down everything in the Mixbus channel, yet I still end up with the waverform recorded on that track, with full signal anyway. 

OK I think I understand your issue.

In Mixbus, the microphone gain is normally controlled by the audio interface , in your case the SSL12.
Gain control is normally done in the interface as it is the optimal point to control your gain staging.

When you assign a microphone (output of your audio interface) to a channel (track) in Mixbus, the Gain Trim and Fader ONLY control the output of that track into your monitoring.

If you wish to you can add a mono audio bus (selected in the Add Track menu), and apply the output of your interface to the input of that audio bus.
You can then add compression, gain control or EQ to that bus and in turn assign the output of that mono bus to the audio input of a channel (track).

Just be aware that the audio bus will introduce a very small processing delay. It is best to find zero latency plugins and use lower buffer sizes if you want to do this. Patching of the Bus out is taken care of in the Audio Connections Manager.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(04-17-2024, 07:16 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 09:27 AM)mande95747@yahoo.com Wrote: Ofr everyone who assumes I'm having some sort of monitoring issue - I am in no way referring to monitoringI'M NOT TALKING ABOUT WHAT I'M HEARING - I'M TALKING ABOUT WHAT'S RECORDING.

It seems like it's bypassing the input channel in Mixbus32C, and recording directly from the SSL 12 INPUT to the TRACK. 
I shut down everything in the Mixbus channel, yet I still end up with the waverform recorded on that track, with full signal anyway. 

In Mixbus, the microphone gain is normally controlled by the audio interface , in your case the SSL12.
Gain control is normally done in the interface as it is the optimal point to control your gain staging.

When you assign a microphone (output of your audio interface) to a channel (track) in Mixbus, the Gain Trim and Fader ONLY control the output of that track into your monitoring.

If you wish to you can add a mono audio bus (selected in the Add Track menu), and apply the output of your interface to the input of that audio bus.
You can then add compression, gain control or EQ to that bus and in turn assign the output of that mono bus to the audio input of a channel (track).

Just be aware that the audio bus will introduce a very small processing delay. It is best to find zero latency plugins and use lower buffer sizes if you want to do this. Patching of the Bus out is taken care of in the Audio Connections Manager.

==========================

My response:

--This would make sense if my problem was that I'm not getting signal to the input track.  That's the OPPOSITE of my problem. I can't NOT get signal to my input track.  
(Also,
I'm not using any plugins yet, other than the ones in the Mixbus32C channels. )

The whole problem was discovered when I was:

1. Trying to lower the gain to stop clipping, and also

2. Trying to use compression & EQ on the signal coming in - BEFORE recording to the track. I could barely, if at all, notice any effect of using compression & EQ, or trying to turn the signal down - IN THE SIGNAL BEING RECORDED. (Again - NOT referring to minitoring. I'm talking about a loud, clipped waverform after recording.)

I kept turning it down, down, then in frustration, finally shut off all sends (mixbusses & the master send switch) and it had no effect on what was being sent to the input recording channel - the waveform after recording was not in any way different no matter what I did at the channel level.

I know I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what. This should not be this complicated, and I'm wondering if this very thing is why a lot of people slam Mixbus online (one guy calling it a "shitshow")  Even one of the Harrison guys doing the instruction videos admits in the video he primarily uses Reaper!
(04-18-2024, 08:04 AM)mande95747@yahoo.com Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 07:16 PM)Dingo Wrote:

==========================

My response:

--This would make sense if my problem was that I'm not getting signal to the input track.  That's the OPPOSITE of my problem. I can't NOT get signal to my input track.  
(Also,
I'm not using any plugins yet, other than the ones in the Mixbus32C channels. )

The whole problem was discovered when I was:

1. Trying to lower the gain to stop clipping, and also

2. Trying to use compression & EQ on the signal coming in - BEFORE recording to the track. I could barely, if at all, notice any effect of using compression & EQ, or trying to turn the signal down - IN THE SIGNAL BEING RECORDED. (Again - NOT referring to minitoring. I'm talking about a loud, clipped waverform after recording.)

I kept turning it down, down, then in frustration, finally shut off all sends (mixbusses & the master send switch) and it had no effect on what was being sent to the input recording channel - the waveform after recording was not in any way different no matter what I did at the channel level.

I know I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what. This should not be this complicated, and I'm wondering if this very thing is why a lot of people slam Mixbus online (one guy calling it a "shitshow")  Even one of the Harrison guys doing the instruction videos admits in the video he primarily uses Reaper!

mande95747@yahoo.com wrote:

>Are you saying that when recording, the entire DAW input channel in the mixer section 100% irrelevant?  So, I can't gate, compress, EQ or anything else BEFORE recording into the input track?  

My understanding of the signal flow is that it goes directly from the input selector at the top of the channel strip to the recorder (hard drive).  Then the mixer processes what comes off the hard disk. The signal doesn't go through the channel strip before recording.

If you want effects printed to a track then you can do the Mixbus equivalent of "freezing" the track Print Your Tracks in Mixbus32c V8 (youtube.com)

> I can't NOT get signal to my input track. 

If you want to not get signal to your input track, you should be able to accomplish that by using the input selector at the top of the channel strip (you can show the channel strip in the editor window by hitting shift-e): click on the "input" button in the group of buttons by the compressor, eq, etc., buttons, and on the input selector at the top of the channel strip choose "disconnect." If that doesn't work then something else must be going on.

>It seems like it's bypassing the input channel in Mixbus32C, and recording directly from the SSL 12 INPUT to the TRACK. 

The idea behind recording directly to the hard drive is that recording the raw signal from the system (audio interface) preserves all your options to mix later on with all the processing, or to export the original stems and take them somewhere else (someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong). 
 Windows 11, Lenovo Legion 5 pro, Mixbus 32c 9.2, Focusrite 18i20