Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus Themes and Colors
Per request from @ PBuryk I have created this sticky for users to post ideas and information about creating Themes / Color Schemes in Mixbus.

I don't have the ability to create a sub-forum, but if this proves popular I will get Admins to move the thread.

Colors can be changed using the Preferences / Appearance / Colors tab

Color Preferences are stored in the Preferences folder in a file named: my-dark-mixbus-{version}.colors

The preferences folder location varies with each OS, but it is always found inside the HOME (“~”) folder:

Mac OS X: ~/Library/Preferences/mixbus?
Windows: ~/AppData/Local/mixbus?
Linux: ~/.config/mixbus?

If you want to try a Theme posted in this Forum, copy your my-dark-mixbus-{version}.colors file to a safe location if you want to preserve any changes you have made.

{Note: the [my-dark-mixbus-{version}.colors file will only appear in your Preferences folder after you have modified the colors or values of Items, Palette or Transparency}

Then replace the my-dark-mixbus-{version}.colors with the new download.... note the file name must be the same as the original.

Themes and colors are an advanced option you can loose an awful amount of time playing around.

There are two tabs of main interest to Themers: Items and Palette

Items list individual graphical items with a color tab that when double clicked will reveal a color palette.

In the screenshot below I have highlighted the Playhead as an example.

Palette has a series of themed elements - hover over an item to see the name.

In screenshot below I have highlighted 'theme:b darkest' which is the black element within the Mixbus UI... double click to reveal the palette.

When you get completely messed up, hit the Restore Defaults tab.

As and if / when I get time I will move relevant posts over and also transcribe the mud map I have for the different items and palettes.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
thanks for this.
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com 
my mac does not have a my-dark-mixbus-{version}.colors for version 8 or 9 my version 8 colors are fine but 9 is sort of dayglo (knobs and such that change at random?) kind of been living with it for a long time (since we last talked-6 or 7 months ago) doen't effect the sound so more of oh yeh i'm on the mac. my windows machines run great (they are newer, but do need the mac for some things). the mac is a 2012 macbook pro on catalina (seen better days, but still runs fine)
2012 MacBook Pro | 2.7 GHz i7 16GB | OSX 10.15.7/Windows 10 || 2017 HP Spectre | 1.80 GHz 32GB | Windows 10 || 2018 Intel i7 8700k | 128 GB | Windows 10 || 2023 HP Spectre 1.7 GHz 16 GB | Windows 11 || PreSonus  16.4.2 AI/16R | Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 | Wheatstone DMX | SSL Origin | ect
(04-04-2024, 02:57 PM)Mainely Sound Wrote: my mac does not have a my-dark-mixbus-{version}.colors for version 8 or 9 my version 8 colors are fine but 9 is sort of dayglo (knobs and such that change at random?) kind of been living with it for a long time (since we last talked-6 or 7 months ago) doen't effect the sound so more of oh yeh i'm on the mac. my windows machines run great (they are newer, but do need the mac for some things). the mac is a 2012 macbook pro on catalina (seen better days, but still runs fine)

The my-dark-mixbus ???.colors file will only appear after you have modified the color of an Item, Palette or Transparency value.

As to your version 9 displaying 'dayglo' colors -

Firstly what version of v9 are you running ? There was a color issue in one of the early v9 releases, but the current release (v9.2.172) does not have that issue.

Secondly, if you do get strange colors or modify the color scheme and want to get back to 'normal': Preferences / Appearance / Colors - Restore Defaults will re-load the color scheme to factory settings.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
i am using v9.2.172. i usually update after projects are done (when updates are available). did not try to change colors (must have happened along the way) then not reset. did try the restore defaults (did not work). then yesterday after seeing this post tried (by opening the 'Mixbus32C v9.2.172-Intel.dmg' with 'Pacifist') and got 'dark-mixbus32c.colors' renamed it to 'my-dark-mixbus32c.colors' and inserted it '~/Library/Preferences/Mixbus9' didn't work renamed it to 'my-dark-mixbus32c-9.2.colors' and it worked.
not sure why the colors changed, or why they could not be restored? but now are back. still takes forever to open (vst3), but that is for another thread.
2012 MacBook Pro | 2.7 GHz i7 16GB | OSX 10.15.7/Windows 10 || 2017 HP Spectre | 1.80 GHz 32GB | Windows 10 || 2018 Intel i7 8700k | 128 GB | Windows 10 || 2023 HP Spectre 1.7 GHz 16 GB | Windows 11 || PreSonus  16.4.2 AI/16R | Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 | Wheatstone DMX | SSL Origin | ect