Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Mixbus v9 - Now Available!
Mixbus v9 is now available!  Scroll down to see a complete list of upgrades and improvements.

-----

Get your upgrade! (for prior Mixbus users)

Watch your email for a personalized $29 upgrade coupon

OR

Visit our Software Downloads page, and click Account History to get a $29 upgrade coupon emailed to you

-------

New Features and Improvements in v9:

Updated EQ DSP Algorithm :  Our first update to the EQ in 12 years provides a more accurate emulation of the Harrison analog console equalizer

TapeX Input Meters on the Record Page: view your soundcard inputs, with scrolling waveform meters, even if you have no tracks in the session (this feature was previously only available in Mixbus32C)  Click Here to learn more!

Multi-bus VST3 instruments can be 'fanned out' to multiple tracks with appropriate mono/stereo configuration and names

Blonde Bop drum instrument from AVL Drums : included free!

The Triumphant Return of Tempo Mapping:  meet your new 'Agile Grid' !
  • Real music breathes with subtle (or sometimes dramatic!) tempo changes

• Our new 'agile grid' lets you quickly adapt the Grid to your performance

• Once you've mapped your performance, you can edit with 'snap', duplicate sections on bar lines, add MIDI accompaniment, or trigger loops from the Cue Page

• Watch this video from Nathan to see how it's done!
Improved Timeline Editing:  quickly re-arrange your verse and chorus sections, and keep everything in sync
  • Re-arrange your song sections including invisible items like playlists and automation

• Cut or copy the entire timeline including markers and all automation, whether visible or invisible, and insert it where you want it

• Watch this video to see how it's done!
Improved Session Connections Management:  for those who switch I/O devices or share sessions regularly with collaborators
  • I/O connections are now saved 'per device'.  This allows you to switch to a 2 channel interface when you are on the road, and have all of your connections restored when you return to your full-featured studio I/O

• When switching to a new soundcard the master bus connection would sometimes get lost, resulting in no audio output. Starting in v9.1, when you switch to a new soundcard, we will re-initialize all connections including the Master/Monitor outputs (unless this same device was used in the past for this session; in which case we will recall those connections)

• Mixbus now allows you to rename your plugins:  this is convenient when the full plugin name won't fit recognizably in the space allotted.  Name it whatever you like!

• Auto-connection of USB devices:  the Faderport series will now recognize when a device is connected; automatically make the appropriate connections; and engage the control protocol.  We expect to expand the list of supported devices in the future.
More Improvements!
  • In the "Clip List" (found on the Cue Page and Editor List), you'll find a new knob for adjusting the clip monitoring volume.

• In the Latency toolbar (activated in Preferences->Appearance->Toolbar) you'll find a new button to disable the channelstrip gate- and limiter-mode lookahead.  This is sometimes desirable for lowest-latency monitoring (at the expense of gate and limiter responsiveness)

• Exported MIDI files now export at 1920 ppqn by default; some DAWs cannot handle the higher values we were using in the past

• By default, Mixbus no longer colors new tracks with a random color.  This saves you from having to re-color them all, and instead only color the ones that need special attention.

• You can now double-click the channel name-slate to rename the channel (in mixer strip)  (in prior versions, double-click was used to trigger the narrow/wide mode in regular (non-32C) Mixbus)

• Add keybinding (Cmd/Ctrl+S) for Solo, in the mixer window

• It is now possible to set your 'snap' preferences to snap the mouse to the Playhead.  This is useful when you are using Edit Point = Mouse,  but you still want to use the playhead for some operations.

• You can now create MIDI subgroups:  right-click on a group header to create a single MIDI instrument bus, and send all MIDI tracks to that bus

• Recent Sessions dialog now shows a 'safe mode' checkbox, so you don't have to remember to hold Cmd while opening the session

• When using 'midi input follows selection', and a grouped track is selected, Mixbus will select the track that was clicked on, not the last item in the group

• In the past it was possible to click on the orange 'playhead' line to grab the playhead but this sometimes got in the way if you wanted to click behind it.  The playhead line has been de-sensitized

• New example Lua DSP processors: downmix 5.1 to stereo; DTMF tone generator (midi instrument/synth example)

• Allow the user to cancel a session-archive process, and add more verbose error messages if something goes wrong (out of disk space)

• MacOS:

• --Improve behavior when a controller device is disconnected

• --Update the latency when a device's buffersize is changed while running

• PT import

• --Fix PT importing to a session with existing tracks (prior versions were adding pt regions to the existing tracks)

• --Update session extents when importing PT tracks... move the End marker later to accommodate imported regions

• Control Surfaces:

• --Push2: holding shift while using touch strip should send modulation, not pitch bend

• --USB device auto-connect: Mixbus will now automatically make your USB control connections for certain devices:  the Presonus Faderport series;  Ableton Push2;  Contour Design, and more coming soon!

• -- Dedicated support for the Softube Console1 (thanks to Hoger Dehnhardt!)  .. select Console1 in Preferences -> Control Protocols

• Translations: Updated German, Catalan, Korean and Russian translations
Other Fixes
  • VST3 plugin fixes

• --Allow plugin's gui to set non-automatable parameters (fixes Fabfilter: solo the EQ band)

• --Correctly display the Control Names when changing instruments in Kontakt7 (and likely other VST3s)

• --Skip redundant parameter-changes (fixes a problem in Steinberg HALion state-restore)

• When pasting a layered stack of regions, the stack order is correctly preserved 

• The I/O latency would sometimes be mis-reported in the latency toolbar.  This has been fixed

• Adding an aux-send would reset a channel's pan knob to center. This has been fixed

• Further improvements to MIDI Clock (MClk) output

• Significantly speed-up the 'Duplicate' action when multiple regions are selected

• Fixed Undo for multi-non-contiguous region cut/delete

• Fix issues with delete & backspace bindings in draw/internal-edit mode

• Fixed a short audio glitch when PDC latency was changed and buffersize was 64 samples or smaller

• Exporting multiple mp3's at different bitrates, in one export action, could crash.  This has been fixed

As always, feel free to write us (mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com) with your thoughts on this new update!

Best Regards,
-Ben Loftis
Harrison Mixbus product manager
Congrats! Looking forward to make tunes with it!Smile
Finally! Thank You! VST3 multi out is superb, TapeX function is great. I like the new layout, everything looks tidy and clean. I have yet to test the new EQ, but every improvement is welcomed. Though I feel dissapointed about not having the new drive feature 32C have, and am missing the two tape saturation colors. I know that 32C is the flagship product, but I think these two features should be in Mixbus 9, too. First it was mostly the EQ and the more mixbuses, but now plain Mixbus product is losing more and more to 32C. It is really a shame. Anyway, thank you again for the constant improvements!
Sad 
Compared to Mixbus8 this v9 sounds different. Low end has gone, less punch, it's more mid forward and congested, it has lost the natural music life and movement. It seems close to other digital lifeless Daw.

The GUI is a step back. Especially the equalizer which is less clear to see, with all that numbers... And the gain reduction meter: a BIG step back. The same for the threshold control. 
Only one thing is useful: no more all that colors on the channel strip names.

I don't upgrade even if it were free of charge. Sad
(06-14-2023, 08:03 AM)ginobistecca Wrote: Compared to Mixbus8 this v9 sounds different. Low end has gone, less punch, it's more mid forward and congested, it has lost the natural music life and movement. It seems close to other digital lifeless Daw.

The GUI is a step back. Especially the equalizer which is less clear to see, with all that numbers... And the gain reduction meter: a BIG step back. The same for the threshold control. 
Only one thing is useful: no more all that colors on the channel strip names.

I don't upgrade even if it were free of charge. Sad

I don't quite agree with this comment, but I think it may depend on what projects you've got to work on.
On my end I think v9 is a great improvement, as it widens the stereo image a lot compared to earlier versions.

I just need to open my v8 projects with v9 and export them and after A/B-ing them, I find the sound has the same texture and the EQ-ing has stayed the same but the sound is way more open.
Mixbus 9 is garbage in Windows 10. Doesn’t load plug ins and has authorization problems v7 works fine. I want a refund and am beyond angry. Nathan has been great but the program is rubbish…
I never got a notification about this. I'm still on v8.2.
Greetings! When will the 10th version of Mixbus be released? Are there any deadlines? I have a great desire to update version 7 Tongue