Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speculations about v9
(02-28-2023, 04:39 AM)Skyking11 Wrote: I wonder when v9 will be out.

Skyking11 threw this out in another thread, and I agree.
I also wonder. And even more: I wonder what it will contain!
On the one hand, v8.2 just got a new build, and v8 has been a troubled version with lots of small, but significant issues.
So even though v8 and v7 came out March last year and the year before, I don't know whether there's something in the sleeve for a v9 in March this year.
Or maybe a v9 which basically is a stable, good v8.2 (pretty much what we have now).
That could of course happen.

On the other hand, both v7 and v8 came with a solid new feature. TapeX (dedicated recorder window) in v7 and the cue feature in v8.
So what could v9 contain?
Personally I really hope for modulators. LFOs, random generator and other even more interesting ones. Robin Gareus of Ardour said in a podcast that Ardour is actually planning to implement modulators. So it seems it's coming, but I'd be really surprised if that's already in store for v9.

What do you other Mixbusers hope for?
Since as far back as Mixbus2 there've been requests for a decent scrub feature  Cool
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
@krans: good guess, but 'modulations' is a pretty esoteric feature that isn't part of Harrison's main wheelhouse. We're going to return our focus largely to the 'mixer' for v9.

@johne: you can fake a pretty good 'scrub' by playing, then holding the 'P' key (locate playhead) while sweeping your mouse over the audio you want to hear. The key-repeat will quickly locate the playhead to your mouse location and you get a stuttering effect which is pretty good for locating the onset of a note or whatever. The other kind of scrubbing (tape-style reel-rocking) was pretty easy in dedicated hardware devices that had control over the hardware clock, but we don't get that kind of control over ASIO or CoreAudio. And it's expensive in software.
Wow, a "huge update" to the mixer sounds like great news!
I'm really excited to see and hear what you've done.

Regarding modulators: No, it's not really the most logical Mixbus feature. But I don't think the cue page is either. Maybe even less, actually.
So I'm looking forward to see how this will be implemented in Ardour (well, hopefully at least) in a Ardoury way, and then coming to Mixbus.
It doesn't have to go all Bitwig and anything can modulate anything (even though I'm quite a fan of their approach as well, but Bitwig's something quite different).

As an example of why I'm hoping for modulators, and why I also think they can fit Mixbus well – just look at how a simple random modulator can give so much life to (my favourite synth) Hive2.
Watch the X/Ys (that's the 1, 2, 3 and 4) go by themselves, making the patches so much more organic.
Isn't it quite nice? And not really that complicated, just a way of bringing more life to what you're making.
(02-28-2023, 08:12 AM)krans Wrote:
(02-28-2023, 04:39 AM)Skyking11 Wrote: I wonder when v9 will be out.

Or maybe a v9 which basically is a stable, good v8.2 (pretty much what we have now).
That could of course happen.

What do you other Mixbusers hope for?

Maybe that should be a version 8.3 or say 8.5 with great improvements but not a 9 paid version...
In a world where Apple can introduce new processors and OS's every year or so,  and (literally) hundreds of plugins are introduced or updated every day, perfection is impossible.  At least until us humans are replaced by AI coders  Smile

However this doesn't mean we shouldn't move forward on other things that we *do* have control over, which is mixing.

-Ben
Glad to hear the Mixer will get improvements.

I do believe the Mixer is the selling point of Mixbus.
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
I almost only do mixing. Didn't update 32C v7 to v8 as I didn't see any features I need.
I wouldn't be averse to a "Mixbus Lite" with no clip launching, not even MIDI, just mixing. Wink
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(03-01-2023, 03:17 AM)sunrat Wrote: I almost only do mixing. Didn't update 32C v7 to v8 as I didn't see any features I need.
I wouldn't be averse to a "Mixbus Lite" with no clip launching, not even MIDI, just mixing. Wink

It would certainly be a workable thing for you, but in fact, the price of the upgrade is so reasonable that I see it as support for the continuity of the program's development work. Of course, updates must work and be usable. In a deal, both parties must benefit, otherwise things stop working.
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(03-01-2023, 03:46 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 03:17 AM)sunrat Wrote: I almost only do mixing. Didn't update 32C v7 to v8 as I didn't see any features I need.

It would certainly be a workable thing for you, but in fact, the price of the upgrade is so reasonable that I see it as support for the continuity of the program's development work. Of course, updates must work and be usable. In a deal, both parties must benefit, otherwise things stop working.

Why are we even talking about version 9 ? ?
Windows pro 10 ,Intel i9 CPU 10900k,32GB RAM,500 GB C Samsung 970 m2,1000 GB D 970 m2,RME Fireface  802 FS ,Yamaha NS 10 m,Dynaudio Bm5mklll,Icon Qcon pro G2,PT HD 12,5 HMB 32C V. 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 pro