Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to 1979!
Nashville is a fun place to live if you are into music.  And it’s a great place to find inspiration if you develop software tools like Mixbus.

In 2000, I moved to Nashville to fill a software position at Harrison. I had a bass, but I wasn't a bass player.  Nevertheless, I had a bass, and it didn't take long to get propositioned into playing in a church praise band, and I was hooked. I had the opportunity to play with people far above my level, which was very inspiring, and I had a regular gig which required me to get up-to-speed pretty quickly.

That's Nashville for you!  I've been in perhaps a dozen bands since then, and I'm currently playing in 2 rock&roll bands. One of the bands is Halo/Horns, an original rock band that channels the sound of 70s rock. Yeah, I know, “don’t quit your day job”... but we’re in it for the music, not the money, man.

After hibernating thru the pandemic, Halo/Horns felt it was time to do something new. We wanted to record 10 original songs for a potential album.  But the question was:  how to record them?  and where?  We're too old and jaded to think we can compete with full-time Nashville stars, so this would largely be about making a historical document for our little group.  Overdubs and auto-tune would go against the ethos entirely.

We wanted to capture the sound of 70s rock by recording directly to tape with little or no punch-ins. We needed space to spread out and get comfortable. And while I expected to mix the tracks in Mixbus, we also wanted to capture a full-on analog mix as a reference.

After a few studio visits, we chose Welcome to 1979, a studio that can only be described as a labor of love by Chris Mara and his wife Yoli. With 13,000 square feet available, the former record-pressing plant is home to a studio with a 2-story playground slide, multiple recording and relaxing spaces, and Chris's renowned Mara Machines business as well as digital mastering, vinyl mastering, and lacquer cutting services.

Welcome to 1979 fit the bill perfectly: we could spread out, take some pictures for our instagram, and have a rockstar studio experience while recording to analog tape:

[Image: 1979-tape.png]

1979 is built to serve the needs of live bands, and the staff have perfected their workflow around that service. In addition to their skilled chief recording engineer Jeremy, we had a fantastic assistant engineer (Ryan) and an intern who kept things moving smoothly. An analog studio is a complicated beast with lots of moving parts (literally!). The staff has to work like a well-oiled machine to cover the technical details while keeping the artists in a creative mood. Our session gave me the opportunity to study their workflow and see how it might be applied in Mixbus. Our goal with Mixbus has always been to provide an analog-like creative workflow, with the convenience of modern digital tools, so you can get the best of both worlds!

[Image: 1979-jeremy.png]

Unfortunately they didn't have a Harrison console, but they had a 1979-vintage MCI ... a console that was heavily influenced by Dave Harrison, the designer at MCI before he left to make his own console company.  That was enough of a connection for me to feel comfortable recording there.

We wanted to get at least 10 tracks recorded to tape, and we only booked 2 days at the studio.  So we couldn’t take time to do full mixes.  After we recorded each song, Jeremy would rewind the tape and make a quick 2-track mixdown, in realtime, while he bounced the tracks to digital. That gave me a reference mix for later review, and also a quick mix that we could play in the car each night, on our way home.

For the quick mix, Jeremy had an impressive collection of analog compressors and eq's wired into the signal path, and he'd occasionally tweak the threshold of a compressor that was working too hard.  Otherwise, each of those rackmount devices stayed 'preset' with specific knob settings.  Each unit had a task, whether it was kick-drum, vocal, or master-bus ... and the settings didn't get changed much, if at all. I think this is a good reminder for anyone:  it's so easy to get lost in the settings of unlimited plugins, when you really only need to master a couple of good tools and use them appropriately.

For artistic effects, Jeremy only had 2 analog mixing tools at his disposal: a tape-delay echo, and a plate reverberator.  Here’s the tape machine used for echo:

[Image: 1979-echo.png]

I found it very interesting that the 'tape speed' knob was remotely wired into an empty console strip:

[Image: 1979-knob.png]

Jeremy would give it a quick 'spin' to get just the right slapback time for each song. Combined with the console send&return levels for reverb and delay, he had everything he needed directly under his fingertips ... wow, that sounds familiar!!

Remember, Jeremy only had the length of the song .... about 3 minutes ... to get the mix under control.  He rode the faders 'live' and you can hear the mix progress from "raw" to "finished" in the course of those 3 minutes.  Here’s a video showing Jeremy playing the console like a musical instrument:

(video link)  https://photos.app.goo.gl/EhMFPVUb1px1eCB39

After recording our original material, we recorded a few covers for fun.  Here is an excerpt of a Doors cover tune, using Jeremy’s "on the fly" mixdown, including all the analog compression and EQs:  https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...979-2x.mp3

And here is my re-mix in Mixbus, using only the built-in Mixbus channelstrip and mastering tools:
http://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/...bus-2x.mp3

Given the same time and tools, Jeremy will mix circles around me.  But I'm OK with that;  I can probably out-program him  Tongue  Anyway, after watching him do our live mixes, I don't feel there's anything in Mixbus holding me back.  It's all there;  it just comes down to the skill of the person doing the mixes.

Here are some more images and video from our trip:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/9bvtHvw5CuafQGg79

Let me know if you have any questions about our studio visit, or how you think it should influence Mixbus going forward!

====

Ben Loftis is a product developer and partner at Harrison Consoles
Making me go all dreamy!  Angel
I worked in a studio like that in the late 80s. Auditronics 501 console (from Tennessee Wink ), Otari MTR90 24 track, Studer A80 1/2" 2-track, nice outboard racks. Aaah, the good ol' days.  Cool
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

perhaps getting that "delay knob" somehow into an empty mixbus strip would be nice to have. Yes you can insert a plugin and so on and so on, but having it right there where it ever has been sounds like a good thing to me.. Very nicely desciption of your experience and this one is the one we all think about, when we dream about studio-work.. and then digital slamms hard...
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Great post Ben, thanks for letting us look into your 'other' side. I do think you could mix the Bass guitar up a bit....
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Great stuff!

The Irish filmmaker Myles O'Reilly did a nice documentary on Julie McLarnon, an engineer who works exclusively in analog; it's a good watch and she has some interesting insights (although I'd take the pseudoscience with a grain of salt):

https://youtu.be/zMiuZ7mYWE4
(10-10-2022, 05:18 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Let me know if you have any questions about our studio visit, or how you think it should influence Mixbus going forward!

I believe what Mixbus lacks from an anolog workflow is a dedicated Rack tab/window. Every studio has a rack. Mixbus doesnt.

Give us a dedicated window (as Mixbusses window now) just for FX in the Mixer, call it the Rack. Make 12 FX sends inside each channelstrip, the same as Sends now, toggle between FX Sends and Bus Sends by a button.

In the Rack make the interface of the FX inline, so that the controls will be in the form of FX Bus strip (as suggested above by arthie). By the way, I vote for double width of the strip, it feels more organic.

Give the users some kind of editor to create own FX strip (knobs, buttons, meters). Provide FX strip templates - reverb, delay, modulation etc.
The point here is to make it look inspiring and cool, like a real rack with big knobs. No point of making it like a dull generic utility interface.

Make some API for other developers to create their own GUIs for the FX strips. Add the Store option to this for the mutual benefit.
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
@Andy76 -
Just so I understand you better...
Are you suggesting that this new Rack would contain all of the plugins that one applies to their session, or all of the plugins one MIGHT use in their session?
For example: If I have a session that, according to some template, has (2) inline compressors on mixbus #1, a reverb (long) plugin on mixbus #9, a reverb (short) plugin on mixbus #10,
and an echo plugin on mixbus #11 - do all (5) of these plugins get placed in the rack instead of or in addition to in their current mixbus plugin areas? I would imagine that "in addition"
would be the choice as plugins placed there all offer easy signal flow (re)arrangement. During the session if I choose to add another compressor or some other plugin to a track strip or mixbus
do I add it to the rack or the track/mixbus channel strip, or both? It seems like unnecessary work to do both so I'm wondering what the real advantages of this extra window would provide
other than presenting the "feel" of an actual studio? Moreover, a studio's rack mounted components present a limitation to the engineer because, well, there might only be precious few
"LA-2A"s, or Pulteks in the rack and "Tape Saturation" or "Echo Plates" are non-rack devices. It appears that the only reason to have a rack window is to "pretty up" ones selection of
plugins that are currently listed in the "Favorite Plugins" area in the Mixer window.

I do like your suggestion of F/X sends, as they would definitely be a part of any actual console, but I don't understand how they would improve the current method of plugin setup?
It seems that the same, or similar, type of right-click menu option selection would be needed to actually set up the signal routing to and from track/mixbus - to rack - to track/mixbus.
Would you please provide some more of your vision on how one would actually use this new feature?

Best Regards,
Patrick
I meant send effects for the Rack. Like reverb, delay, chorus etc. The ones you mix in to your track (like drums or vocal).
Compressors, EQ, gates etc are inline on the channel strips now and its their proper place and they are very convenient there.

- what the real advantages of this extra window would provide
other than presenting the "feel" of an actual studio?

1. The feel of the actual studio is the selling point of Mixbus. We all love and use it for this, arent we? My idea is to expand it a little further.

2. Inline FX processors GUIs will gratify a user with big controls and easy to use/access presets (see pic, the first FX shows expanded preset list by clicking on the preset name). Remember Harrison`s ad slogan? NO MORE FKIN POP UP WINDOWS! Everything is inline, very cool and unusual.

3. In modern software everything is possible. But digital way of thinking is not always convenient or pleasant. I suggest analog thought process and analog-looking big racks of FX gear (pic). At the end it should be more fun for the user. Happy user, happy developer, win-win.

I also added:
Ducking on Racks FX-strip compressor.
Three knobs on each channel strip to open relevant tabs (EQ, BUS, FX). BUS is for 12 Mixbusses, what we now call Sends. FX is for fx sends from the Rack, maybe RAK is better name for this knob.
HP, LP Filters on the FX-channel of the Rack.
Tiny RACK button on the top right corner as an idea.

Take a look at my mock-up and share your thoughts, thanks!
direct link to the pic

[Image: The-Rack-BIG-FX-GUI-Presets-on-the-left.jpg]
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Mixbus 32C 7.1.92
Interesting!