Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus tape saturation halfway setting.
When using a mixbus temp saturation what would you say happens to the track if the tape saturation is not halfway, is it doing anything much. I can hear what it does the more I crank it but I’m thinking why would people use it when it’s halfway or less then that. Is it gently shaving off sharp edges?
(08-31-2022, 03:40 PM)Skyking11 Wrote: When using a mixbus temp saturation what would you say happens to the track if the tape saturation is not halfway, is it doing anything much. I can hear what it does the more I crank it but I’m thinking why would people use it when it’s halfway or less then that. Is it gently shaving off sharp edges?

If you're talking about the saturation meter going less than halfway, you can hear it taming the high-end a little bit, in a natural way. I use it for acoustic guitar and vocals a lot. And yes, it does the "shaving off sharp edges" thing when it comes to transients.
You can watch this video for a better understanding of what the drive section is doing. This is to mimic the workflow of hitting analog tape and does not replace the original intent of the console being designed with the highest headroom and lowest distortion possible. So as Russell says in the last part of the video, if you don't want any saturation then turn the drive knob down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2axraYt2p4
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio