Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixbus32C v8.1 with Mixer Scenes, native M1 support - Now Available!
@cduarte:  To our knowledge, the M1 version functions exactly like the Intel version, with the exception of plugins:

* third-party native M1 plugins should work as expected (although we cannot guarantee operation of every third-party plugin)

* our bundled (XT, ACE, x42, etc) M1-built plugins should work as expected, except for some graphical glitches on certain machines. we are investigating this.

* Intel-built AudioUnit plugins will be bridged by Apple to work on M1,  but the wrapping causes a graphical glitch and we do not recommend using these

* Intel-built VST and VST3 plugins will not be recognized at all by the Mixbus M1 build.  So if you have sessions that need VST or VST3 plugins, you must first install the M1 version of those plugins.

I hope this answers your questions.  And let us know if you find any other differences in the M1 builds.

-Ben
So still no multi-out support for VST3 instruments? Then I'll stay with v7. Maybe one day...
Quote:* Intel-built AudioUnit plugins will be bridged by Apple to work on M1,  but the wrapping causes a graphical glitch and we do not recommend using these

Did a quick test with the ARM-version of Mixbus on an M1 Max on a session with a handful of Intel AudioUnits, and the rest ARM AudioUnits (a lot…). All effects, no softsynths.
The graphical glitch in my testing is that Intel plugin GUI loads in a too big window first time you open the plugin, but the controls work and the audio output checks out in my limited testing. If you close the plugin window, you can't open it again, unless you close and reopen the session. Audio still checks out, the plugin is working, but there is no GUI to change its controls. This is a pretty major glitch of course, if you can fix it Harrison, I would be ready to run with the ARM version. It is a reverb i really like that is still Intel only. ARM AudioUnits = butter.

Edit: I spoke too soon, there are audio/functionality glitches in some Intel AUs too.
"Glue to Bars and Beats", does not seem to be working properly.(?) Sometimes it doesn't follow the tempo change. And when I decrease the time sometimes there is no sound, and as soon as I reset the tempo to the original tempo or increase it, I have sound again. Does it happen to anyone else? [Mixbus32C v8.1 - Windows 11]
@cduarte: the temp-hanlding in Mixbus/Mixbus32C was dramatically rewritten in v8.0. It is not unexpected to have problems like you've described and we are working to resolve those.

The good news is: this will allow some really awesome tempo-mapping features in future updates.

-Ben
(07-29-2022, 11:27 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @cduarte:  the temp-hanlding in Mixbus/Mixbus32C was dramatically rewritten in v8.0.  It is not unexpected to have problems like you've described and we are working to resolve those.

The good news is:  this will allow some really awesome tempo-mapping features in future updates.

-Ben

Good news Ben Smile We look forward to this development.
Thank you very much!!
Really good to see the scrolling of sends 9-12 (and >8 plugin parameters) added for Mackie control surfaces. At first I thought it wasn't working, but then realised that (as stated if I'd RTFM properly!) it's the arrow keys, not the bank/channel ones, that do the scrolling.

The plugin parameter control is good, but a little quirky/hit and miss: for example, the SSL channel strips* (which I like using because the onscreen interface is so clear, and I use it with other DAWs) have some of the controls reversed, and with the Soundtoys PhaseMistress the bypass control doesn't operate (although the control surface reflects changes done with a mouse). But it's improving!

* (Also, the issue where the channel label doesn't get pulled through to the plugin is still present for those SSL plugs, which is a real shame.)

But it's good to see Mixbus continuing to evolve.
All this talk about the "arrow keys and not the fader and channel bank keys" is confusing me.
I guess the X-Touch is a lil different?
My arrow keys ARE the fader bank and channel arrow keys.
(and they work just fine for all the sends and plugin paramaters)
Not sure what other arrows you are talking about, my other arrow keys are transport control arrows.
What are the main advantages of 'Mixer scenes' over 'Snapshots' apart from being 'almost instantaneous' (does it mean we can't use and recall them along a mix ?).
@Stephane:

Mixer Scenes are fast & easy to use. Mixer Scenes store only your 'knob settings' and can't change what plugins are on a track, or the order of plugins. This allows them to be applied 'on the fly' with no interruption in your sound.

'Mixer Save/Recall' (from the Track menu) rebuilds a track completely including which plugins you have, the plugin order, and other heavy-duty elements. That makes it impractical to apply 'on the fly' since adding, removing, or moving a plugin will momentarily interrupt the signal flowing through the plugin. Mixer Save/Recall is a great way to store your mixer settings in one session, and apply them to another session later, like a template.

Snapshots are the heaviest of all: snapshots store the entire session state including what tracks you have, markers, cues+clips, region edits, and your i/o connections. Restoring a snapshot can interrupt the audio for several seconds while Mixbus loads all your plugins, instruments, audio tracks, etc.

Snapshots, Mixer Save/Recall, and Mixer Scenes are 3 distinct features that each have their own advantages.

-Ben