Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
find and mark peaks in a region/track
Hi, 

To help with a technique I like to use (apply some clip gain to bring down errant peaks when preparing a file for mastering) 
I'd love to be able to have a script I can run that I can specify a peak value (variable declared at start of script that I can modify would be okay, but as an input would be better) 

Then drop a marker every time there's a peak that fits the criteria... (Maybe named peak_X) 

That would be awesome.. 

Unfortunately, I don't even know where to start, or where the documentation to begin would be. 

I'll master a song for free for whoever creates one..
cheers

Allan
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com 
Would Transport / Playhead / Move to next Transient help ?
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(02-16-2022, 05:05 PM)Dingo Wrote: Would Transport / Playhead / Move to next Transient help ?

That just takes you to the next transient no matter what its peak value. As I understand it, the OP is looking to find peaks above a certain threshold.

I do this using a plugin (Youlean loudness meter; you can set a threshold for true peaks and it'll mark any overs in the plugin's display; you can hover your mouse over each exceedance to find the time at which it occurred and then go back to the editing window in Mixbus to find it) but it would be nice to have the ability within Mixbus. The other issue is that I don't see a way to set YouLean to flag true peaks that are lower than -1.0 dB; when preparing files for mastering you might want to go lower than that (e.g., -3) and I don't see a way to do that in Youlean.
(02-19-2022, 10:34 AM)bjohnh Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 05:05 PM)Dingo Wrote: Would Transport / Playhead / Move to next Transient help ?

That just takes you to the next transient no matter what its peak value. As I understand it, the OP is looking to find peaks above a certain threshold.

I do this using a plugin (Youlean loudness meter; you can set a threshold for true peaks and it'll mark any overs in the plugin's display; you can hover your mouse over each exceedance to find the time at which it occurred and then go back to the editing window in Mixbus to find it) but it would be nice to have the ability within Mixbus. The other issue is that I don't see a way to set YouLean to flag true peaks that are lower than -1.0 dB; when preparing files for mastering you might want to go lower than that (e.g., -3) and I don't see a way to do that in Youlean.

This  - you knew exactly what I meant  

I came here to request this feature - and looks like I did almost a year ago.. 

Yep, I just want to locate the highest peak in the file/region .. SO I can perform an edit and then move to the next. 

Tedious work, but would make it way faster than visually scanning in the way I do now... 

What would compliment this is also to be able to find the next and previous zero crossing.. 

If I could get an example for highest peak.. and then next transient - I could probably change that next zero crossing (assuming that would be possible) and previous.. 
Select that range and then drop the gain by a certain number of db ... 

However starting with locating the highest peak would be a great start
Allan  Klinbail 

Sounds like a cool feature but this is what a limiter does and you can set your threshold to only catch the loudest peaks. You could skim through the waveform and manually bring down anything you deem to be too loud. The tape drive on the master bus does a nice job at rounding off the peaks without sounding too harsh or squished.

Hope that helps
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
(01-30-2023, 11:29 AM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote: Sounds like a cool feature but this is what a limiter does and you can set your threshold to only catch the loudest peaks. You could skim through the waveform and manually bring down anything you deem to be too loud. The tape drive on the master bus does a nice job at rounding off the peaks without sounding too harsh or squished.

Hope that helps

Thanks Nathan..

I've got a fair share of limiters (And clippers) at my disposal. (Although mostly I use Pro L2 and/or NFA Elevate as far as limiting goes, the Mixbus ones are great in mixing and I love their sound, but lack the control and options for mastering work. )

This is in the master preparation stage, some times (often) I get sent sent songs with a few wildly stray peaks . Sometimes a percussion element that pokes way up high or just a resonance ...

Leaving these to be dealt by the limiter can mean a couple of things...
At that point the limiter really squashes the sound, at a point where you really may not want that to happen. The song can break apart. Using this technique avoids that by working on a period of time so small (a single transient) that the effect on the rest of the sound isn't noticed.
The limiter is set to deal with these stray peaks, rather than being used to bring more conformity (glue) to the sound

So yeah, this is a manual process that I'd love to automate - I'm not the only person doing this.

Nick from Panorama Mixing and Mastering over the other side of town from where I live has featured this technique a few times in his highly popular You Tube series.
Allan  Klinbail